2015 New Year's attack plots
- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on February 5 2016. This is a backup of Wikipedia:2015_New_Year's_attack_plots. All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/2015_New_Year's_attack_plots, the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/2015_New_Year's_attack_plots.
- Wikipedia editors had multiple issues with this page:
2015 New Year's attack plots
In late December 2015 authorities in several countries announced the discovery of ISIS attack plots targeting New Year's celebrations.
As New Year's Eve approached, police in North America and Europe were on high alert because of information picked up by security agencies that militants might plan to attack public New Year's Eve celebrations. New Year's Eve celebrations were cancelled because of intelligence reports of planned attacks in Brussels, Belgium while in Munich, Germany, rail service was cancelled as attack plots were uncovered; in other cities, security was increased amid heightened fears in the wake of the Paris Attacks.
In December 31, 2015, New Year's Eve, it was suspected that terrorists from the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) might attack two train stations in Munich, Germany. Munich police stated that they had gotten a “very concrete tip” around 7:40 p.m. on New Year's Eve from intelligence sources in the United States and France that and militants from Iraq and Syria were planning to attack train stations Munich. According to Bavarian interior minister Joachim Herrmann, between five and seven suicide bombers planned to blow themselves up at locations that included two train stations.
Police in Rochester, New York arrested a man allegedly inspired by ISIL propaganda to plan an attack on a New Year's celebration in a Rochester-area restaurant. Emanuel Lutchman (25) was arrested by the FBI's Joint Terrorism Task Force on Dec. 30. He was charged with offering to provide material support to a terrorist group and stands accused of plotting to assist ISIS by killing Americans in a planned attack on the Merchants Grill on restaurant on New Year's Eve.
- Eddy, Melissa (1 January 2016). "Munich on High Alert After New Year’s Eve Terrorism Threat". New York Times. http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/02/world/europe/munich-threat-attack.html?_r=0. Retrieved 8 February 2016.
- Smith, Alexander (31 December 2015). "Security Raised at New Year Celebrations Amid World Terror Fears". NBC News. http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/paris-terror-attacks/belgium-makes-10th-arrest-over-paris-attack-amid-new-year-n488371/. Retrieved 7 February 2016.
- McKirdy, Euan (31 December 2015). "Security and terrorism: Jittery backdrops to New Year's Eve around the world". CNN. http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/31/world/new-years-eve-terrorism-security-concerns/. Retrieved 7 February 2016.
- Bartunek, Robert-Jan (1 January 2016). "Brussels cancels NYE celebrations, Turkey attack plots foiled with arrests". Reuters; Washington Post. The Sydney Morning Herald. http://www.smh.com.au/world/brussels-cancels-nye-celebrations-turkey-attack-plots-foiled-with-arrests-20151230-glx3eq.html. Retrieved 7 February 2016.
- Koren, Marina (31 December 2016). "The Heightened Security for New Year’s Eve Around the World". The Atlantic. http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2015/12/new-years-eve-security/422340//. Retrieved 7 February 2016.
- Knight, Ben (January 1, 2016). "Munich suicide bomb plot: police hunt Isis suspects behind New Year's Eve threat". theguardian. http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/dec/31/munich-police-warn-of-imminent-threat-of-terror-attack.
- Smith/Neubert (1 January 2016). "ISIS Terror Jan 1 2016, 8:42 am ET ISIS Plot Tip-Off Triggered New Year's Eve Terror Scare in Munich". NBC News. http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/isis-terror/isis-plot-tip-triggered-new-year-s-eve-terror-scare-n488846. Retrieved 7 February 2016.
- Calamur, Krishnadev (29 December 2015). "Arrests in Belgium". The Atlantic. http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2015/12/belgium-arrests/422103/. Retrieved 4 January 2016.
- Koren, Marina (30 December 2015). "A Foiled New Year’s Eve Terrorist Plot in Turkey". The Atlantic. http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2015/12/turkey-isis-new-year/422217/. Retrieved 4 January 2016.
- Yeginsu, Ceylan (30 December 2015). "Turkey Detains 2 ISIS Militants Planning New Year’s Eve Attack". New York Times. http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/31/world/europe/ankara-turkey-isis-attack.html?_r=0. Retrieved 6 February 2016.
- Yaron, Steinbuch (31 December 2015). "Man plotted New Year’s Eve attack in Rochester under ISIS direction: feds". New York Post. http://nypost.com/2015/12/31/suspected-isis-backer-held-for-rochester-attack-plot/. Retrieved 4 January 2016.
- McDermott. "Accused terrorist Lutchman fights tears in court". http://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/news/2016/01/08/accused-terrorist-emanuel-lutchtman-emotional-court-appearance/78506446/?from=global&sessionKey=&autologin=. Retrieved 5 February 2016.