2016 Balkans terrorism plot
- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on March 22 2017. This is a backup of Wikipedia:2016_Balkans_terrorism_plot. All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/2016_Balkans_terrorism_plot, the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/2016_Balkans_terrorism_plot.
Template:Infobox civilian attack Simultaneous attacks planned in Albania, Kosovo and Macedonia were thwarted in November 2016. Nineteen people were arrested in Kosovo, and six more in Albania and Macedonia, for a total of twenty five arrests, making it one of the largest terror-related arrests in Europe in recent years. Explosives, weapons, electronic equipment, and material related to extremist religious groups were seized during the raids following the arrests.
The suspects, planning "synchronized terror attacks," were receiving orders from Islamic State member Lavdrim Muhaxheri. Among the planned targets were the Israel national football team and their supporters during the Albania-Israel World Cup qualifying match.
In February 2017 Albania announced that it would join the counter-Islamic State efforts, and send troops to Iraq. Although it was not officially confirmed by the Albanian authorities, it is largely believed that this first active involvement of Albania in the fighting against ISIS in Iraq was triggered by the failed terror attack on Albanian soil three months earlier.
- Stanglin, Doug (17 November 2016). "Kosovo thwarts 'synchronized' Islamic State terror attacks". News. USA Today. http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2016/11/17/police-isil-attacks-thwarted-kosovo/94013658/.
- Dearden, Lizzie (17 November 2016). "Isis attack on Israeli football team foiled by police at World Cup qualifier in Albania". World News. The Independent. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/isis-attack-israeli-israel-football-team-police-kosovo-terror-simultaneous-a7422696.html.
- Veselinovic, Milena (17 November 2016). "ISIS attack on Israeli soccer team thwarted, Kosovo police say". http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/17/europe/kosovo-terror-plot/.
- Template:Cite report
- "ISIS Attack on Israeli National Soccer Team Foiled: Kosovo Cops". 17 November 2016. http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/isis-terror/isis-attack-israeli-national-soccer-team-foiled-kosovo-cops-n685241.
- "ISIS target World Cup qualifier: European country reacts with fury to bomb and drone plot". WorldAlert. 1 March 2017. http://terror-alert.com/news/isis-target-world-cup-qualifier-european-country-reacts-with-fury-to-bomb-and-drone-plot?uid=50609.
- "Albanian Defense Minister announces initiative to deploy troops to Iraq". 1 March 2017. http://www.nrttv.com/en/Details.aspx?Jimare=12880.
- "ISIS target World Cup qualifier: European country reacts with fury to bomb and drone plot". News. Daily Star. 1 March 2017. http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/592582/islamic-state-albania-world-cup-isis-terror-bomb-drone-plot-football-match-attack.