2016 Can-Am League season
- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on May 26 2017. This is a backup of Wikipedia:2016_Can-Am_League_season. All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/2016_Can-Am_League_season.
The 2016 Canadian American Association of Professional Baseball season began May 19 and ended September 5. Following the regular season, the playoffs were held. It was the 12th season of operation for this professional independent baseball league. The Ottawa Champions won their first ever title in just their second season, defeating the Rockland Boulders in the fifth and deciding game of the league championships, played on September 17.
The season was particularly notable for the tour of the Cuban national team, the first Cuban-based squad since 1960 to play a professional team in a United States minor or independent league stadium during the regular season. The Cubans stated that they were able to include about half their top national players in the team.
Tragedy struck the league on September 4, when the co-owner of the Québec Capitales, Roberto Bissonnette was killed in a helicopter crash in Flatlands, New Brunswick, along with the pilot. Team president Michel Laplant was also in the helicopter, but only suffered from non-life threatening injuries.
On September 5, former Cy Young Award winning pitcher Éric Gagné pitched for the Ottawa Champions, attracting nearly 8,000 fans. The Champions made it to the league finals in only their second season as a franchise.
Tour of Cuban national team
The Cuba national baseball team played 20 regular season games as part of the league schedule, though they were ineligible for the playoffs. It was billed as a "goodwill tour" following the opening up of Cuba–United States relations in 2015. This team included Luis Robert, who would later sign with the Chicago White Sox for a contract worth over $50 million, including a $26 million signing bonus, on May 27, 2017. Major league scouts were also interested in Julio Pablo Martinez, who in May 2017 signed to play in the Can-Am League with the Quebec Capitales, along with several other Cuban players. The Cuban team finished with an 11–9 record, and will return in June 2017 to challenge the Ottawa Champions, winners of the 2016 season.
|New Jersey Jackals||62||38||.620||–|
|Sussex County Miners||39||61||.390||23|
|Cuba national baseball team*||11||9||.550||11|
* Teams not eligible for playoffs
New Jersey vs. Ottawa
Rockland vs. Québec
Rockland vs. Ottawa
The road team won every game of the 5 game series, which saw the Ottawa Champions come back from being down two games to none to win three straight games for the championship.
|2016 Can-Am League attendance|
|Team||Total Attendance||Average Attendance|
|Sussex County Miners||90,237||1,842|
|New Jersey Jackals||74,335||1,652|
- Spedden, Zach (7 March 2016). "Cuban National Team Set for Can-Am Tour". http://ballparkdigest.com/2016/03/07/cuban-national-team-set-for-can-am-tour/. Retrieved 30 May 2017.
- Araton, Harvey (29 June 2016). "Competing on Good-Will Tour in U.S., a Cuban Team Sends Mixed Signals". The New York Times. https://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/30/sports/baseball/with-thaw-in-us-relations-cuban-baseball-fears-its-uncertain-future.html. Retrieved 30 May 2017.
- Aylward, Cassie (21 August 2016). "Champions hitter breaks Can-Am League record". http://www.cfra.com/news/2016/08/21/champions-hitter-breaks-can-am-league-record.
- "Co-owner of Quebec Can-Am baseball team dies in helicopter crash". Canadian Press. Rogers Media. 4 September 2016. http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/co-owner-quebec-can-baseball-team-dies-helicopter-crash/.
- "Former Cy Young winner Eric Gagne signs with the Ottawa Champions". Ottawa Citizen. Postmedia news. 22 August 2016. http://ottawacitizen.com/sports/baseball/former-cy-young-winner-eric-gagne-signs-with-the-ottawa-champions.
- Carlucci, Mario (7 September 2016). "Champions looking to live up to their name in Can-Am playoff start". http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/ottawa-champions-begin-can-am-playoffs-vs-jackals-1.3751722.
- Jackson, Emma (11 September 2016). "Fans feeling the love for Champions ahead of finals". Ottawa: Free Daily News Group Inc.. http://www.metronews.ca/news/ottawa/2016/09/11/fans-feeling-the-love-for-champions-ahead-of-finals.html.
- Robertson, Grant (2 March 2016). "Baseball diplomacy results in series between Cuban and Can-Am teams". The Globe and Mail. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/baseball/baseball-diplomacy-results-in-series-between-cuban-and-can-am-teams/article29006932/.
- "OF Robert gets $26M bonus in White Sox deal". 27 May 2017. http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/19477394/cuban-prospect-luis-robert-signs-chicago-white-sox. Retrieved 30 May 2017.
- Skrbina, Paul (27 May 2017). "White Sox officially welcome aboard Cuban phenom Luis Robert". Chicago Tribune. http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-luis-robert-signs-white-sox-26-million-20170527-story.html. Retrieved 30 May 2017.
- Badler, Ben (28 May 2016). "Cuba Sending Two Top Prospects To U.S. On Can-Am Trip". http://www.baseballamerica.com/international/cuba-top-prospects-to-us-can-am-trip/. Retrieved 30 May 2017.
- Kayzerman, Julie (28 June 2016). "Who do scouts have their eyes on with the Cuban National team in town?". NJ.com (New Jersey On-Line LLC.). http://www.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf/2016/06/who_do_scouts_have_their_eyes_on_with_the_cuban_na.html. Retrieved 30 May 2017.
- "Cuban Baseball Players Hired in Canada" (in en). Escambray. Prensa Latina. 6 May 2017. http://en.escambray.cu/2017/cuban-baseball-players-hired-in-canada/. Retrieved 30 May 2017.
- Patey, Ron (4 February 2017). "Cuban National Baseball Team returns to take on Ottawa Champions in June". http://us.blastingnews.com/sports/2017/02/cuban-national-baseball-team-returns-to-take-on-ottawa-champions-in-june-001448613.html. Retrieved 30 May 2017.
- Obernauer, Eric (10 July 2016). "Cuban baseball player defected in Hampton" (in en). New Jersey Herald. http://www.njherald.com/article/20160710/ARTICLE/307109965. Retrieved 30 May 2017.
- "Regular 2016 - Attendance". http://canam.bbstats.pointstreak.com/attendance.html?leagueid=201&seasonid=30053.