2017 Clovis library shooting
- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on August 29 2017. This is a backup of Wikipedia:2017_Clovis_library_shooting. All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/2017_Clovis_library_shooting, the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/2017_Clovis_library_shooting.
Template:Infobox civilian attack On August 28, 2017, a gunman fatally shot two people and injured four others at the Clovis-Carver Library, a public library in downtown Clovis, New Mexico, U.S. The alleged gunman is Nathaniel Jouett, a 16-year-old student at nearby Clovis High School.
The suspect entered the library at 4:15 p.m. on Monday, August 28, 2017, and went into the restroom. He began shooting shortly after he came out of the restroom. According to an eyewitness, the gunman entered the library and shot into the carpet, shouting “Run! Why aren’t you running? I’m shooting at you! Run!” before he began to move about the room shooting at people. Two people, Wanda Walters, 61, and Kristina Carter, 48, both library employees, were killed. Four people were wounded, who were identified as Howard Jones, 53, Jessica Thron, 30, Alexis Molina, 20, and Noah Molina, 10.
Police received multiple emergency calls. About 15 minutes after the first call came in, police received a call from the suspect's father, who told them that suspect had taken his father's guns from the safe where they were kept, and left the house.
The suspect surrendered immediately when police arrived; he did not struggle with the arresting officers. He told police that the had been planning an attack for a while, that he had intended to shoot up the school before killing himself.
Nathaniel Jouett was indicted on September 8 for two counts of first-degree murder, seven counts of child abuse, four counts of aggravated battery, and twenty counts of assault with intent to commit a violent felony. He will be tried as an adult.
- News, A. B. C. (2017-08-28). "2 dead, 4 injured in shooting at library in Clovis, New Mexico". http://abcnews.go.com/US/injured-shooting-library-clovis-mexico/story?id=49476872.
- "Shooting suspect: I thought I would kill myself or kill a bunch of people". KOAT. 30 August 2017. http://www.koat.com/article/shooting-suspect-i-thought-i-would-kill-myself-or-kill-a-bunch-of-people/12140007. Retrieved 30 August 2017.
- DeGrandpre, Andrew (29 August 2017). "16-year-old faces murder charges in New Mexico library shooting". Washington Post. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2017/08/28/two-dead-four-injured-in-shooting-at-new-mexico-library/?utm_term=.97018a0f389a. Retrieved 30 August 2017.
- Martinez, Allison (31 August 2017). "Teen accused of Clovis shooting makes first court appearance". KRQU News 13. http://krqe.com/2017/08/31/detention-hearing-expected-for-teen-accused-of-clovis-shooting/. Retrieved 6 September 2017.
- "Teen accused of deadly Clovis shooting to be tried as an adult". KQRE. 8 September 2017. http://krqe.com/2017/09/08/new-mexico-prosecutors-take-clovis-shooting-case-to-grand-jury/. Retrieved 8 September 2017.
- "Grand jury indicts New Mexico teen in library shooting". AP. Miami Herald. 8 September 2017. http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/article171958747.html. Retrieved 10 September 2017.