2017 Clovis library shooting

From Deletionpedia.org: a home for articles deleted from Wikipedia
Jump to: navigation, search
This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on August 29 2017. This is a backup of Wikipedia:2017_Clovis_library_shooting. All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/2017_Clovis_library_shooting, the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/2017_Clovis_library_shooting. Purge

Template:Infobox civilian attack On August 28, 2017, a gunman fatally shot two people and injured four others at the Clovis-Carver Library, a public library in downtown Clovis, New Mexico, U.S. The alleged gunman is Nathaniel Jouett, a 16-year-old student at nearby Clovis High School.[1]

Shooting

The suspect entered the library at 4:15 p.m. on Monday, August 28, 2017, and went into the restroom. He began shooting shortly after he came out of the restroom.[2] According to an eyewitness, the gunman entered the library and shot into the carpet, shouting “Run! Why aren’t you running? I’m shooting at you! Run!” before he began to move about the room shooting at people.[3] Two people, Wanda Walters, 61, and Kristina Carter, 48, both library employees, were killed. Four people were wounded, who were identified as Howard Jones, 53, Jessica Thron, 30, Alexis Molina, 20, and Noah Molina, 10.[3]

Police received multiple emergency calls.[2] About 15 minutes after the first call came in, police received a call from the suspect's father, who told them that suspect had taken his father's guns from the safe where they were kept, and left the house.[2]

The suspect surrendered immediately when police arrived; he did not struggle with the arresting officers.[3][2] He told police that the had been planning an attack for a while, that he had intended to shoot up the school before killing himself.[2]

Legal proceedings

Curry County District Attorney Andrea Reeb has announced that she intends to prosecute the suspect as an adult.[3]

The suspect made his first court appearance on August 31, 2017. The court determined that he would not be released yet and set a date of September 8 for his first appearance before a grand jury.[4]

Nathaniel Jouett was indicted on September 8 for two counts of first-degree murder, seven counts of child abuse, four counts of aggravated battery, and twenty counts of assault with intent to commit a violent felony. He will be tried as an adult.[5][6]

References