2019 Belgian F-16 crash
- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on September 21 2019. This is a backup of Wikipedia:2019_Belgian_F-16_crash. All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/2019_Belgian_F-16_crash, the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/2019_Belgian_F-16_crash.
Template:Infobox military conflict The 2019 Belgian F-16 crash was an incident when a Belgian F-16B jet took off in Belgium with a mission going to Lorient. However it crashed before it reached the city.
On the morning of 19 September 2019, a Belgian F-16B jet took off in Florennes, Belgium. The jetfighter had the mission to go to the airbase at Lorient as a practice flight. After a one-hour-and-eight-minute flight, the pilots had (for unknown reasons) problems with the engine. One of the crewmen tried to restart the engine. At 10:33 the Belgian defence received emergency warnings of the use of both ejection seats. According to an eyewitness at the RTBF before the crewmen used their ejection there was a big flame following thick black smoke was coming out the plane. Soon after the aircraft flew Template:Cvt above the ground, with a speed of Template:Cvt the men used their ejection seat, one of them landed safely and the other one got stuck on a 250,000-volt high-voltage line. Local media claims he died at that moment, this was denied and it was later comfirmed that the pilot was still alive. After they left the jet hit (with one of its wings) at least one house's roof and facade in Pluvigner east of Lorient at 10:38 local time, it crashed Template:Cvt from the house into the neighbouring farm field. The crash was Template:Cvt from the city of Lorient. After the crash the jet exploted once at 10:45 and the second one follows too in a short time. Both explosions caused a fire which destroyed or damaged a garden, a shed, some trees and parts of a maize field. Emergency crews arived soon after, according to the local authorities 100 police officers, 40 firefighters, 20 rescue vehicles, a Hawkeye aeroplane and an NH90 helicopter were deployed. At 11:15 the crisiscel was established and a no fly zone of Template:Cvt en Template:Cvt high, and a 500-metre security perimeter were set up. Eight houses with their 15 residents were evacuated. According to Le Télégramme the smell of paraffin and explotion danger was active in the region. At 11:45 the Belgian Air Component confirms the incident. Firefighters try to deal the fire and the blaze from the plane. While the power line was shut down to free the hanging pilot at around 13:00. Both pilots had minor injuries and they were together with the lady (of the damaged house) taken to a hospital for some medical checks. No other casualties were reported.
After the crash, the investigations were started by the French Police, joined by a Belgian group of air safety investigators. The next morning a road to Landaul was re-opened. A couple hours later the 500-metre security perimeter was halved to Template:Cvt
- "Beelden tonen overvliegende Belgische F-16 seconden voor crash, piloten gebruiken schietstoel en blijven ongedeerd" (in Dutch). 19 September 2019. https://www.hln.be/nieuws/buitenland/beelden-tonen-overvliegende-belgische-f-16-seconden-voor-crash-piloten-gebruiken-schietstoel-en-blijven-ongedeerd~a2b7d790/.
- "Belgian F-16 fighter jet crashes in France; leaves one pilot stuck on high-voltage line". 19 September 2019. https://www.vrt.be/vrtnws/en/2019/09/19/belgian-f-16-fighter-jet-carrying-two-pilots-crashes-in-france/.
- "Belgian F-16 crash pilot ejects on to power line". 19 September 2019. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-49751536.
- "Belgian F-16 crashes in France without victim". 19 September 2019. https://www.en24.news/2019/09/belgian-f-16-crashes-in-france-without-victim.html.
- "Fighter pilot rescued from high-voltage power line after crash in France". 19 September 2019. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/sep/19/pilot-caught-on-electricity-line-as-f-16-jet-crashes-in-france.
- "Fighter pilot left dangling from high voltage power line after F-16 crash". 19 September 2019. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/09/19/fighter-pilot-left-dangling-high-voltage-power-line-f-16-crash/.
- "LIFE ON THE LINE Fighter pilot trapped on high-voltage power lines by his parachute after F-16 jet crashes in France". 19 September 2019. https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/9960494/fighter-pilot-trapped-high-voltage-power-lines-parachute-f-16-jet-crashes-france-latest/.
- "Pilot stuck on power line after Belgian F-16 jet crashes in France". 19 September 2019. https://www.dailysabah.com/europe/2019/09/19/pilot-stuck-on-power-line-after-belgian-f-16-jet-crashes-in-france.
- "F-16 fighter jet crash leaves pilot dangling from high-voltage electricity line in France". 19 September 2019. https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/fighter-jet-crash-belgian-france-electricity-line-f16-pluvigner-brittany-a9111656.html.
- "Bewoners van het huis waar Belgische F-16 op neerkwam en stuk van hun dak rukte: “Alles ruikt naar de kerosine”" (in Dutch). 19 September 2019. https://www.hln.be/nieuws/buitenland/bewoners-van-het-huis-waar-belgische-f-16-op-neerkwam-en-stuk-van-hun-dak-rukte-alles-ruikt-naar-de-kerosine~a1bad811/.
- "Pilot saved from power line after Belgian F-16 crashes in France". 19 September 2019. https://www.bangkokpost.com/world/1753894/pilot-saved-from-power-line-after-belgian-f-16-crashes-in-france.
- "Belgian fighter jet crash leaves pilot stuck on power cable". 19 September 2019. https://edition.cnn.com/2019/09/19/europe/belgian-fighter-jet-power-line-intl-scli/index.html.
- "Crash d'un F-16 belge dans le Morbihan" (in French). 19 September 2019. http://lignesdedefense.blogs.ouest-france.fr/archive/2019/09/19/crash-d-un-f-16-belge-dans-le-morbihan-20469.html.
- "Un F-16 belge s’écrase près de Lorient. Pilotes sains et saufs. Opération de sauvetage compliquée" (in French). 19 September 2019. http://www.bruxelles2.eu/2019/09/19/un-f-16-belge-secrase-pres-de-lorient-pilotes-sains-et-saufs-operation-de-sauvetage-compliquee/.
- "Pluvigner. Le témoignage des habitants de la maison touchée" (in French). 19 September 2019. https://www.letelegramme.fr/bretagne/pluvigner-le-temoignage-des-habitants-de-la-maison-touchee-video-exclusive-19-09-2019-12387037.php.
- "Pilot Saved from Power Line after Belgian F-16 Crashes in France". 19 September 2019. https://www.news18.com/news/world/pilot-saved-from-power-line-after-belgian-f-16-crashes-in-france-2315755.html.
- "Pilot left dangling from electric cables after ejecting from fighter jet". 19 September 2019. https://metro.co.uk/2019/09/19/pilot-left-dangling-from-electric-cables-after-ejecting-from-fighter-jet-10771670/.
- "La route de Landaul rouverte à la circulation" (in French). 20 September 2019. https://www.letelegramme.fr/morbihan/pluvigner/crash-a-pluvigner-la-route-de-landaul-rouverte-a-la-circulation-20-09-2019-12387647.php.
- "Le périmètre de sécurité réduit de moitié" (in French). 20 September 2019. https://www.letelegramme.fr/bretagne/crash-a-pluvigner-le-perimetre-de-securite-reduit-de-moitie-20-09-2019-12387934.php.