2019 Colchester stabbings
- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on February 19 2019. This is a backup of Wikipedia:2019_Colchester_stabbings. All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/2019_Colchester_stabbings, the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/2019_Colchester_stabbings.
At 10pm on 10 February 2019, Essex Police were called to George Street, Colchester after reports a 40-year-old man had been stabbed in the back. He was taken to hospital. The following morning a man was found dead with stab wounds to his back on Ryegate Road, a minute's walk from the first victim at 8:20 GMT. The fatally injured man was the next day identified as 49-year-old local Colchester resident Carl Hopkins. Essex Police also believed both stabbings where "drug related".
Discovery of the victims
At around 10pm on 10 February a man was stabbed in George Street, Colchester. According to reports, a man "ran in with stab wounds" into the George Street Snooker Club. They said he took his shirt off and there were multiple wounds on his back." The victim was rushed to hospital with serious injuries but which "are not believed to be life-threatening or life-changing." The next morning, at 8:20 a man was found in nearby Ryegate Road, roughly a minutes walk apart from George street, and was quickly found to be deceased. Multiple people saw the victim and thought he was sleeping so did not take further action. A police cordon was placed at both scenes and a forensic tent set up to secure evidence.
The day after the bodies where discovered Mike Lilley, Colchester Council’s public safety boss, said he wanted streetlights turned on throughout the night in order to combat crime and create a safer environment as the alley where Hopkins was discovered was described as "very dark" and residents complained that the lack of lighting worried them.
- "Police link stabbings that left one man dead in Colchester". https://www.itv.com/news/anglia/2019-02-11/police-investigating-death-of-a-man-stabbed-in-the-back/.
- Bieber, Nicholas (11 February 2019). "Knifeman on RUN after double stabbing rocks Brit town centre – one man dead". https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/759129/Colchester-stabbing-attack-murder-knife-police-town-centre.
- "Man dead and another injured after being stabbed in the back in Essex". https://news.sky.com/story/man-dead-and-another-injured-after-being-stabbed-in-the-back-in-essex-11634674.
- "Man stabbed in back named by police" (in en-GB). 2019-02-12. https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-essex-47217369.
- Wathen, Tommy (2019-02-11). "14 hours of violence in one town: A 'murder', stabbing and boiling water attack". https://www.essexlive.news/news/essex-news/14-hours-violence-colchester-town-2531777.
- Howlett, Adam. "Police link Colchester murder investigation with George Street stabbing" (in en). https://www.eadt.co.uk/news/police-link-death-in-ryegate-road-colchester-to-george-street-stabbing-1-5888012.
- Harris, Katie (2019-02-11). "CRIMEWAVE BRITAIN: Man dies in Essex after being stabbed in back - police hunt knifeman" (in en). https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1085537/uk-crime-colchester-castle-stabbing-essex-police.
- "Teenager arrested in connection with murder and stabbing" (in en). https://www.gazette-news.co.uk/news/17436496.teenager-arrested-in-connection-with-murder-of-carl-hopkins/.
- Jefford, Will. "17-year-old arrested in connection with Colchester murder" (in en). https://www.eadt.co.uk/news/essex-police-arrest-17-year-old-from-woolwich-london-over-colchester-murder-1-5894165.
- "Teen arrested over double stabbing" (in en-GB). 2019-02-15. https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-essex-47257769.
- "Call for drug crackdown amid murder probe" (in en). https://www.gazette-news.co.uk/news/17426724.colchester-murder-investigation-continues/.
- Wathen, Tommy (2019-02-11). "The fears over street lighting after man found stabbed to death near park". https://www.essexlive.news/news/essex-news/colchester-murder-lack-lighting-a-2530278.