2019 Queens subway shooting
- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on February 5 2019. This is a backup of Wikipedia:2019_Queens_subway_shooting. All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/2019_Queens_subway_shooting, the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/2019_Queens_subway_shooting.
On February 3, 2019, members of the drug gang MS-13 murdered a member of the 18th Street gang on a New York City Subway platform on Queens. The confrontation began at one station, continued on a 7 train, and spilled out of the train onto the platform of the 90th Street–Elmhurst Avenue station, where a bystander recorded the killing in front of many subway riders.
The alleged shooter, MS-13 member Ramiro Gutierrez, was living in the United States as an illegal immigrant, and had been arrested and charged with crimes multiple times in 2018.
The incident took place on February 3, 2019, where two men assaulted and ultimately killed a man on the platform of the 90th Street–Elmhurst Avenue station of the New York City Subway in Elmhurst and Jackson Heights, Queens. The shooting allegedly started at another station and continued on a southbound 7 train. The two men were captured on video attacking their victim, before one of the attackers fired six shots, fatally wounding the victim.
The killings took place in the context of growing drug gang activity in Queens.
The suspected gunman, Ramiro Gutierrez (26), is a member of MS-13.  In December 2018 Gutierrez was one of a group of 12 individuals charged with conspiracy, attempted murder, and drug and weapons charges. He was released on bail of $2,500 (city regulations do not let police check suspects' immigration status) and was awaiting trial. However, it was revealed that Gutierrez was living in the United States illegally.
Gutierrez has been arrested 12 separate times. He has been in New York City since at least 2010, when he received a summons for disorderly conduct. Since then he has been charged with at least nine misdemeanors in addition to four felony charges, including for drug possession. He was arrested twice in May 2018 on stolen property charges. Records on five of his arrests are sealed.
Arrests and legal proceedings
The suspected gunman was arrested.
In the 2019 State of the Union address, President Donald Trump said, "The savage gang MS-13 now operates in at least 20 different American states and they almost all come through our southern border,... Just yesterday, an MS-13 gang member was taken into custody for a fatal shooting on a subway platform in New York City. We are removing these gang members by the thousands, but until we secure our border, they are going to keep streaming right back in." An ex cathedra editorial in the New York Daily News took issue with the President's assertion, arguing that Gutierrez was at large because the Immigration and Customs Enforcement is "overstretched" by a Trump administration mandate to identify and deport illegal immigrants who are not violent criminals.
Gutierrez' attorney alleged that the President's State of the Union speech, "undermines my client’s presumption of innocence.” 
New York State Assemblywoman Nicole Malliotakis tweeted that as she sat watching the State of the Union address, Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez—who represents the New York's 14th congressional district, where the shooting took place°"look(ed) like someone who just found out an MS13 gang member in our country illegally committed a murder on a subway platform in her district after she spent months calling for ICE to be abolished. Oh wait ….” 
The television current events show Fox & Friends broadcast graphic, "uncensored" footage of the killing, with host over captions reading: “AOC won’t fund ICE despite MS-13 murder,” and “Ocasio-Cortez calls to abolish ICE,” as Brian Kilmeade said “We have video of him being murdered in the district of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez.” Ocasio Cortez responded by tweeting "Unlike these people, I actually care about my community...Meanwhile, ICE is detaining children, political activists & 21 Savage," referring to the rapper 21 Savage's potential deportation to Britain.
WNYC reported the formation of groups such as "Latinos for ICE" in the wake of the shooting. The station also reported that Francisco Moya, the city councilman for the district, would open town hall meetings to avoid groups such as Latinos for ICE from fomenting "public panic" and to preserve New York's "sanctuary" status.
- Southall, Ashley (February 3, 2019). "Man Is Shot Dead in Fight at a Queens Subway Station". https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/03/nyregion/shooting-queens-subway.html. Retrieved February 3, 2019.
- Allie Griffin; Sarah Trefethen (February 3, 2019). "Disturbing daytime subway shooting in Queens caught on video". New York Post. https://nypost.com/2019/02/03/disturbing-daytime-subway-shooting-in-queens-caught-on-video/. Retrieved February 3, 2019.
- Winston, Ali (February 4, 2018). "Queens Subway Shooting: MS-13 Member Is Arrested, Police Say". New York Times. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/04/nyregion/subway-shooting-ms13-gang.html. Retrieved February 6, 2019.
- Norman, Greg (March 6, 2019). "Murders, metal pipes and baseball bats: How MS-13 is infiltrating one of NYC's most populous boroughs". Fox News. https://www.foxnews.com/us/murders-metal-pipe-attacks-and-baseball-bats-how-ms-13-is-infiltrating-one-of-nycs-most-populous-boroughs. Retrieved February 6, 2019.
- Ali Winston; Ali Watkins (February 6, 2019). "What Trump Left Out About MS-13’s Rise in New York". The New York Times. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/06/nyregion/trump-ms-13-subway-killing.html. Retrieved February 7, 2019. "Mr. Mosso, a Mexican citizen, was a purported member of the 18th Street Gang. Both men, according to immigration officials, were in the United States without documentation."
- Moore, Tina; Jaeger, Max (February 4, 2019). "Fatal subway shooting in Queens was ‘gang-related’: cops". https://nypost.com/2019/02/04/fatal-subway-shooting-in-queens-was-gang-related-cops/.
- "Queens Subway Shooting: MS-13 Member Is Arrested, Police Say". February 4, 2019. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/04/nyregion/subway-shooting-ms13-gang.html.
- Madani, Doha (February 4, 2019). "Suspect in fatal NYC subway shooting tied to notorious MS-13 gang, police say The 26-year-old man who was arrested Sunday, and whose identity has yet to be released, "was already known to police."". NBC News. https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/suspect-fatal-subway-shooting-new-york-tied-notorious-ms-13-n966741. Retrieved February 6, 2019.
- Moore, Tina; Whitehouse, Kaja; Jaegar, Max (February 5, 2019). "NYPD tried to hide MS-13 gangster accused of subway slaying". New York Post. https://nypost.com/2019/02/05/nypd-tried-to-hide-ms-13-gangster-accused-of-subway-slaying/. Retrieved February 6, 2019.
- "Who ordered the NYPD’s MS-13 runaround?". New York Post. February 6, 2019. https://nypost.com/2019/02/06/who-ordered-the-nypds-ms-13-runaround/amp/. Retrieved February 7, 2019. "city policy doesn’t let cops check on immigration status, even in extreme cases such as suspected MS-13ers."
- Norman, Greg; Chamberlain, Samuel (February 6, 2019). "Alleged NYC subway shooter, a suspected MS-13 member, was in US illegally, ICE says". Fox News. https://www.foxnews.com/us/alleged-nyc-subway-shooter-suspected-ms-13-member-was-in-us-illegally-ice-says. Retrieved February 6, 2019.
- Parascandola, Rocco; Rayman, Graham (February 4, 2019). "MS-13 gang member in custody in deadly NYC subway shooting caught on video". New York Daily News. https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/ny-metro-queens-suspect-detained-subway-platform-homicide-20190204-story.html. Retrieved February 6, 2019.
- "ICE confirms MS-13 gang member arrested in subway shooting is undocumented". ABC 7 Eyewitness News. February 6, 2019. https://abc7ny.com/ice-ms-13-gang-member-arrested-in-subway-shooting-is-undocumented/5119077/. Retrieved February 8, 2019. "Meantime, two other suspects remain on the run, and police released images of those wanted for questioning in the case."
- "Police Release New Photos Of Man Wanted For Questioning In Subway Platform Shooting". WCBS-TV - CBS 2. 12 February 2019. https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2019/02/12/subway-platform-shooting-new-photos/. Retrieved 12 February 2019. "The man is described as Hispanic, 20 to 25 years old, last seen wearing a dark “New York” skull hat, dark clothing and white sneakers."
- Martinez, Gina (February 5, 2019). "MS-13 Gang Member Charged With Murder in Connection to Viral Subway Platform Shooting". Time Magazine. http://time.com/5521281/ms13-gang-member-charged-subway-murder/. Retrieved February 6, 2019.
- "MS-13 gang member arrested in Queens subway shooting, 2 others sought". WABC-TV. February 6, 2019. https://abc7ny.com/ms-13-gang-member-arrested-2-sought-in-subway-shooting/5119077/. Retrieved February 6, 2019.
- Lind, Dara (February 5, 2019). "Trump has a long history of fearmongering about immigrant murder". Vox. https://www.vox.com/2019/2/5/18213077/state-of-the-union-2019-trump-david-killed-immigrant-family. Retrieved February 6, 2019.
- ex cathedra (February 8, 2019). "Point at ICE: Trump thinks an MS-13 member's crimes indict Democratic policies; actually, they shine light on his own administration's failure". New York Daily News. https://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/ny-edit-immigration-20190207-story.html. Retrieved February 9, 2019.
- Taylor, Adam; Feuerherd, Ben (February 5, 2018). "Lawyer for MS-13 gang member slams Trump’s State of the Union comment". New York Post. https://nypost.com/2019/02/05/lawyer-for-ms-13-gang-member-slams-trumps-state-of-the-union-comment/. Retrieved February 6, 2019.
- Concha, Joe. "Gorka says subway murder proves illegal immigration 'is a national security threat'". The Hill. https://thehill.com/homenews/media/428513-gorka-says-subway-murder-proves-illegal-immigration-is-a-national-security. Retrieved February 6, 2019.
- Moore, Mark (February 6, 2019). "Ocasio-Cortez is not apologizing for her State of the Union reaction". New York Post. https://nypost.com/2019/02/06/ocasio-cortez-is-not-apologizing-for-her-state-of-the-union-reaction/. Retrieved February 6, 2019.
- Rose, Jamie (February 8, 2019). "‘Fox & Friends’ Tries to Blame Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez for Fatal Subway Shooting". Daily Beast. https://www.thedailybeast.com/fox-and-friends-tries-to-blame-alexandria-ocasio-cortez-for-fatal-subway-shootin?source=articles&via=rss. Retrieved February 8, 2019.
- Foley, Artis (February 8, 2019). "Ocasio-Cortez hits at 'Fox & Friends' hosts: 'I actually care about my community' (reported story)". The Hill. https://thehill.com/homenews/house/429106-ocasio-cortez-torches-fox-and-friends-hosts-unlike-these-people-i-actually. Retrieved February 8, 2019.
- Lafond, Nicole (February 8, 2019). "AOC Tears Into ‘Fox And Friends’ Over Segment Linking Her To Fatal Shooting". Talking Points Memo. https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/aoc-tears-into-fox-friends-over-segment-linking-her-fatal-shooting. Retrieved February 8, 2019.
- Jenene, Tatyana (February 9, 2019). "Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Calls Out ICE for Detaining 21 Savage". Revolt (TV network). https://revolt.tv/stories/2019/02/09/congresswoman-alexandria-ocasiocortez-calls-ice-detaining-21-savage-07006bc8fb. Retrieved February 10, 2019.
- "Subway Killing Raises Concerns About How to Handle Gangs and Immigration Enforcement". February 10, 2019. https://www.wnyc.org/story/subway-killing-raises-concerns-gangs-immigration-enforcement/.