2020 Bayonne bus assault
- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on July 7 2020. This is a backup of Wikipedia:2020_Bayonne_bus_assault. All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/2020_Bayonne_bus_assault, the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/2020_Bayonne_bus_assault.
The 2020 Bayonne bus assault was an assault on Philippe Monguillot, a 59 year old bus driver, in Bayonne in the Nouvelle-Aquitaine area of southwest France on 5 July 2020. The driver was declared brain dead the day after the attack.
The driver had refused to let several people on the bus because they had no tickets and were not wearing masks. Masks are mandatory on public transport in France because of COVID-19. The driver was repeatedly punched by members of the group. According to union representatives, he tried to stop the people from bringing a dog onto the bus. The driver stepped out of the bus and was hit in the head by one of the group, resulting in a serious injury.
The driver was unconscious when brought to hospital and was declared brain dead on 6 July 2020.
Bus services were disrupted in the region on 6 July as drivers refused to work in protest against the assault. Regional bus company Chronoplus was criticised for not having done enough to ensure driver's safety.
On July 10 2020 it was announced that the driver had died. Two men were charged with attempted murder, two others with non-assistance to a person in danger and a fifth with attempting to hide a suspect.
- "Bayonne: Bus driver left brain dead after being 'attacked over face masks'". BBC News. 6 July 2020. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-53309424.
- McPartland, Ben (6 July 2020). "French bus driver left brain dead after attack for refusing passengers". The Local. https://www.thelocal.fr/20200706/french-bus-driver-brain-dead-after-assault-for-refusing-maskless-riders.
- "French bus driver dies after 'face mask attack'". RTE News. 10 July 2020. https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0710/1152630-french-bus-driver-dead/.
- "French bus driver dies following attack by passengers who refused to wear masks". The Guardian. Agence France-Presse. 10 July 2020. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jul/10/philippe-monguillot-french-bus-driver-dies-following-attack-passengers-refused-wear-masks.
- "Two charged over attack on French bus driver who refused entry to unmasked men". The Guardian. Agence France-Presse. 8 July 2020. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jul/08/two-charged-over-attack-on-french-bus-driver-who-refused-entry-to-unmasked-men.