Alex Bruce (law professor)
- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on April 11 2014. This is a backup of Wikipedia:Alex_Bruce_(law_professor). All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Alex_Bruce_(law_professor), the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Alex_Bruce_(law_professor).
Alex Bruce is an Associate Professor at the Australian National University's ANU College of Law and one of the few Western Buddhist monks to hold a senior academic position at a university. Alex specialises in Animal law and competition and consumer law. He is Director of the Center for Commercial Law and is one of Australia's leading experts on competition and consumer law and the emerging area of Animal Law.
Alex Bruce graduated with a bachelor of laws in 1990 (QUT), a Master of Laws in 2005 (USyd), a Master of Arts(Theology)(ACU)in 2007 and a PhD in law in 2012 (ANU). He received professional registration and admission to legal practice by the Qld Supreme Court in 1990.He has taught at the ANU College of Law since 1999, being appointed Associate Professor in 2011.
Work in the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission
Until 2004 Alex worked with the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC)(formerly the Trade Practices Commission) as a senior lawyer (including directing the mergers branch in Sydney). His responsibilities in the ACCC included instructing counsel, as well as conducting cases before the Federal Court and High Court of Australia on market manipulation, anti-competitive mergers, price fixing and corporate fraud. He routinely obtained interim injunctions, criminal penalties, compensation orders, freezing of assets and orders to liquidate assets. The price fixing case he worked on against TNT, Ansett and Mayne Nickless was one of the largest in Australian legal history with over $1 billion in damages and penalties recovered.
Buddhism, interreligious and peace studies
Alex Bruce ('Losang Tenpa') is an ordained Buddhist Monk in the Tibetan Buddhism Tradition under the direct supervision of the 14th Dalai Lama. He is the Buddhist Chaplain at the ANU. In 2007 he organised and moderated the One World - Many Paths to Peace Inter-religious Symposium at the AIS arena (10,000 people in attendance) with His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama and hosted by the ANU College of Law. In 2009 His Holiness the Dalai Lama launched his text One World Many Paths to Peace at the Parliament of the World's Religions. He has Masters Degrees in Law and in Theology. A/Prof. Bruce studies Advanced Buddhist philosophy with the Chenrezig Buddhist Monastery (see Avalokiteśvara). He sits on the International Advisory Board of the Research Unit for the Study of Law; Society & Religion at the University of Adelaide. He was invited to speak at the 2009 Biennial Freilich Foundation Summer School concerning bigotry, law and religion. He has regularly been invited to schools in the ACT and NSW to discuss inter-religious issues with the students as well as other significant conferences. In July 2012 he was interviewed for ABC TV Faithlines program.
Alex Bruce's monograph 'Consumer Protection Law in Australia' (LexisNexis 2011) was the first Australian text to critically analyze the most extensive changes to consumer protection law in 35 years with the introduction of the Australian Consumer Law within the Competition and Consumer Act 2010.
Animals and the law
In 2009, he successfully researched, developed and delivered a new elective subject Animals and the Law and has published a monograph on this subject. He has published more widely on how new energy and food technologies may promote animal rights. He has appeared in the media (such as the ABC 'Compass' program and ABC 'Rural") to debate public policy on these issues.
Awards and Community outreach
He was awarded the 2007 Vice Chancellor's Award for Community Outreach. In 2004 he created and became a director of Liberation Prison Project (Aust) Ltd and until 2009 was a prison Chaplain. Consistently nominated for Teaching Excellence Awards, in 2010, Alex was awarded the Vice Chancellor's Award for Outstanding Contribution to Student Learning.
- Assoc. Prof. Alex Bruce ANU College of Law. https://law.anu.edu.au/user/109 (accessed 12 Nov 2013)
- Bruce A. “Legal Formalism & the Trade Practices Act - A Case of Concealed Fraud” (1998) 72 (3) Australian Law Journal 216
- Bruce A. “The Trade Practices Act and the Demise of Client Legal Privilege” (2002) 30 (2) Federal Law Review 373.
- Collusion and Price Fixing Scandal Corporate Medicine Website.http://www.uow.edu.au/~bmartin/dissent/documents/health/mayne_collusion.html (accessed 9 May 2013)
- Dante Ceccon Academic never lost faith in balancing act Canberra Times 18 July 2013 http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/academic-never-lost-faith-in-balancing-act-20130717-2q4wa.html (accessed 6 July 2013)
- Bruce A (ed). One World – Many Paths to Peace ANU E-Press 2009 (launched by His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama) http://eview.anu.edu.au/one_world/index.php (accessed 11 may 2013)
- ABC TV Faithlines with Geraldine Doogue 14 July 2013 http://www.abc.net.au/tv/programs/faithlines/ (accessed 17 July 2013)
- Bruce A. Consumer Protection Law in Australia. LexisNexis 2011 (2nd edition due 2013)
- Bruce A. Animal Law in Australia: An Integrated Approach. LexisNexis 2012
- Bruce A. "Labelling Illogic? Food Animal Welfare & the Australian Consumer Law" (Part 1) (2012) 7 Australian Animal Protection Law Journal 5 http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2165606 (accessed 9 May 2013)
- Bruce A. “Do Sacred Cows Make the Best Hamburgers: The Legal Regulation of the Religious Slaughter of Animals” (2011) 34(1) University of New South Wales Law Journal 351 http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2124759 (accessed 9 May 2013)
- Vines T, Bruce A, Faunce TA. “Planetary Medicine and the Waitangi Tribunal Whanganui River Report: Global Health Law Embracing Ecosystems as Patients.” Journal of Law and Medicine 2013; 20: 528-541 http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2235935 (accessed 9 May 2013)
- ABC Compass - Food for Thought (Sept 2012) http://www.abc.net.au/compass/s3576830.htm (accessed 14 May 2013)
- ABC Rural 2012 http://www.abc.net.au/rural/content/2012/s3624429.htm (accessed 14 May 2013)
- ABC 666 Radio Afternoons. Ritual Slaughter of Animals debate.http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/2011/06/01/3232531.htm (accessed 14 May 2013)
- ANU College of Law https://law.anu.edu.au/user/109 (accessed 9 May 2013)
- ANU Case Studies of Educational Excellence- Alex Bruce http://edcasestudies.chelt.anu.edu.au/awards/alex-bruce (accessed 14 May 2013)
- Animal cognition
- Animal consciousness
- Cambridge Declaration on Consciousness
- Deep ecology
- Intrinsic value (animal ethics)
- Plant rights
- World Animal Day
- Animal ethics
- Animal Law Review
- Animal welfare
- Category:Animal rights and welfare legislation
- Society for Animal Protective Legislation
- Dalai Lama Center for Peace and Education
- Foundation for Universal Responsibility of His Holiness the Dalai Lama
- List of peace activists
Alex Bruce at ANU College of Law: https://law.anu.edu.au/user/109 Australian Sangha Association http://australiansangha.org/australiansangha/events/