Alok Kumar (business executive)
- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on November 16 2016. This is a backup of Wikipedia:Alok_Kumar_(business_executive). All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Alok_Kumar_(business_executive), the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Alok_Kumar_(business_executive).
|Born||31st August 1968|
|Residence||Pune, Maharashtra, India|
BITS Pilani |
National Institute of Technology Calicut
|Occupation||Partner at SRKay Consulting Group|
Alok Kumar (born 31 October 1969), is an Indian business executive, an author and Managing Partner at SRKay Consulting Group. Prior to joining SRKay Consulting Group, he was MD of Sears Holdings India, the offshore captive of Sears Holdings Corporation, in India.
Alok has held multiple senior IT management positions in Fortune 500 companies. Named as Game Changer CEO of the year (2013), Alok has several awards to his credit. He has authored several publications including his book, ‘Spy from Unaula’ that he wrote in 2015 as a tribute to his late father Ramchandra. This book received many positive reviews.
Early life & Education
Alok was born on 31 October 1969 in Patna in Bihar - a state of India - in a lower middle class Indian family. Alok’s father, Ramchandra, came from a poor peasant family from village Unaula near Gorakhpur in North India. To avoid his child marriage and with a vision to be something meaningful in life he ran away from his home hoping to make a bright future for himself and his next generation. Ramchandra's story started from from rags and was taken to riches by Alok as Ramchandra paved a way for Alok to get good education and move ahead in life.
Alok went on to study mechanical engineering at the National Institute of Technology, Calicut in 1991. He later pursued Masters in Business from Birla Institute of Technology and Sciences (BITS), Pilani in 1995.
Alok has helped build the offshore Global In-house Center for Sears by overcoming multiple challenges spanning across functions. In just nine months after it began operations, Sears India was able to not only break even but also save 30% more than the target with a workforce of 30% less than that was required for its operations. Just in 5 years of it’s operations, Sears India reached a strength of 1000 engineers at it’s Pune Center. Under Alok’s leadership Sears India set up it’s technology center in Bangalore which is a Centre of Excellence with focus on product and platform development in the retail online and offline domain. During his tenure, Sears Holdings India received Global Excellence in Outsourcing Award – AIOP (Phoenix 2013), and CII National Excellence Awards and several other awards. During his tenure, Sears India indulged in multiple CSR initiatives including donating eye laser unit to Sassoon hospital in Pune and installing Bio Toilets at the Police Headquarters in Shivaji Nagar, Pune.
Prior to Sears, Alok was Senior Vice President and Head of IT Program Management at Reliance Industries. Before working with Reliance, Alok held the position of CIO at Tata Teleservices Maharashtra Limited. Alok has also worked with Hutchison Telecom and was responsible for heading IT operations for Hutch East.
Alok is a regular speaker at many eminent institutions such as Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad, Indian Institute of Management Calcutta and many industrial forums. During his tenure in Sears India, he was included in GIC NASSOM Council. There have been references of his work at Sears in international publications. He has also been featured in multiple interviews on television and print media.
- As the CIO of Tata Teleservices he won the Extended Management Award at CIOL 2004
- Made place in CIO 100 magazine
- The ‘Game Changer’ CEO of the Year (CEO with HR Orientation) Award (runner-up) by SHRM (Society for Human Resource Management) at the India HR Awards 2013
- Emerging Leader of the Year Award by India’s greatest.com – The Greatest Corporate Leaders of India in 2013 
1. Handwriting Speaks: Handwriting Analysis Made Easy, 2005 (ISBN 978-1419611377) 
2. Value Sourcing: Future of IT Outsourcing, 2013 (ISBN 978-1484946428) 
3. Spy from Unaula, 2015 (ISBN 978-9352013067) 
- "SRKayCG". http://www.srkaycg.com.
- "Sears Holdings to open technology centre in Bengaluru - The Economic Times". The Economic Times. http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/industry/services/retail/sears-holdings-to-open-technology-centre-in-bengaluru/articleshow/48554862.cms.
- Track, Global Talent (2015-05-14). "Changing the face of Employability in India – By Alok Kumar (Sears Holdings India) – Interface May 2015". https://globaltalenttrack.wordpress.com/2015/05/14/changing-the-face-of-employability-in-india-by-alok-kumar-sears-holdings-india-interface-may-2015/.
- "Value Sourcing: The Future of Outsourcing | Alok Kumar's Blog". http://www.kumaralok.com/download-ebook.
- Khanduja, Jaideep. "Spy From Unaula by Alok Kumar – Book Review – A Life Size Journey" (in en-US). https://pebbleinthestillwaters.blogspot.in/2016/05/spy-from-unaula-by-alok-kumar-book.html.
- "Sears India to get all IT R&D work of parent company | Latest News & Updates at Daily News & Analysis" (in en-US). dna. 2011-09-24. http://www.dnaindia.com/mumbai/report-sears-india-to-get-all-it-rd-work-of-parent-company-1591069.
- "SHC bagged IAOP's prestigious 2013 Global Excellence in Outsourcing (GEO) award | Sears India" (in en-US). Sears India. 2013-02-21. https://www.searsindia.co.in/shc-has-bagged-iaops-prestigious-2013-global-excellence-in-outsourcing-geo-award/.
- "We Bagged the 5th CII National Excellence Award 2014 | Sears India" (in en-US). Sears India. 2014-11-22. https://www.searsindia.co.in/we-bagged-the-5th-cii-national-excellence-award-2014/.
- "SHI gets Recognized : Wins 3 Awards | Sears India" (in en-US). Sears India. 2013-02-20. https://www.searsindia.co.in/shi-gets-recognized-wins-3-awards/.
- "Sears India donates eye laser unit to Sassoon hospital - Times of India". The Times of India. http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/pune/Sears-India-donates-eye-laser-unit-to-Sassoon-hospital/articleshow/52221808.cms.
- "Press Release 5 Feb 2016: Sears India donates bio sanitation units under Swachh Bharat Abhiyan | Sears India" (in en-US). Sears India. 2016-02-06. https://www.searsindia.co.in/press-release-5-feb-2016-sears-india-donates-bio-sanitation-units-under-swachh-bharat-abhiyan/.
- "Detailed Profile Alok Kumar | Alok Kumar's Blog". http://www.kumaralok.com/detailed-profile.
- "You are being redirected...". http://www.dqweek.com/ciol-dataquest-honors-cios/.
- "IIM Calcutta - PGPEX - Timeline | Facebook". https://www.facebook.com/iimcpgpex/photos/a.482260791787651.118888.268226333191099/1104870419526682/?type=3&comment_id=1106067136073677&comment_tracking=%7B%22tn%22:%22R%22%7D.
- "National HRD Network, Punes Annual Conclave - 11th March 2016". http://allevents.in/pune/national-hrd-network-punes-annual-conclave-11th-march-2016/1751492755072598.
- "NHRDN Pune Quarterly Conclave "Women Matter " | National HRD Network (NHRDN)". https://www.nationalhrd.org/event/nhrdn-pune-quarterly-conclave-%E2%80%9Cwomen-matter-%E2%80%9D.
- Tiko, Iyamu (2015-07-17) (in en). Strategic Information Technology Governance and Organizational Politics in Modern Business. IGI Global. ISBN 9781466685253. https://books.google.com/?id=XbEyCgAAQBAJ&pg=PA111&lpg=PA111&dq=alok+kumar+sears#v=onepage&q=alok%20kumar%20sears&f=false.
- "Gimme More! Says The CEO | www.cioandleader.com". http://www.cioandleader.com/articles/19599/gimme-more-says-the-ceo.
- "You are being redirected...". http://www.ciol.com/tata-steel-fortis-champions/.
- "CIO India | main-awards". http://cio100.cio.in/main-awards/2008/the-bold-100.
- ":: India's Greatest ::". http://www.indiasgreatest.com/winners_2013.html.