- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on March 11 2014. This is a backup of Wikipedia:Anil_Aickara. All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Anil_Aickara, the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Anil_Aickara.
- Wikipedia editors had multiple issues with this page:
- The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's general notability guideline. But, that doesn't mean someone has to… establish notability by citing reliable secondary sources that are independent of the topic and provide significant coverage of it beyond its mere trivial mention. (July 2012)
Template:Infobox officeholder Anil Aickara is a human-rights activist and social-awareness campaigner based in Kottayam, in the state of Kerala, India. A lawyer by profession, he has fought several civil and criminal cases for public-causes. He earned fame and reputation as an activist from the ongoing People's movements towards the rebuilding of the Mullaperiyar Dam.
Early Life and Education
He was born to Sri K.N.Radhakrishnan Nair and Smt K.Radha Devi as their elder son at Aickara, Thellakom P.O. Kottayam. Anil had his schooling from C.M.S L.P. School, Kottayam, Govt. L.P.School, Mudiyoorkkara and Medical College High School, Arpookkara. Following this his college career included degrees from Govt.College, Nattakom, Sharma's College, Ettumanoor, Govt.Law College, Ernakulam, and Mahathma Gandhi University off Campus Centre for Post Graduation in Law.
Role in Mullaperiyar Agitation
In November 2011, with mounting concern about the safety of the Mullaperiyar Dam, Adv Anil and his team mobilized an active cyber campaign spreading awareness on the issue - initially through the Mandaram Orkut Forum and then through Facebook. He was one of the founders of Mullapperiyar Ikyadhartya Samithy (Mullapperiyar solidarity forum). With raising public opinion, he was one of the key figures involved in organizing a 27-day long hunger strike at Gandhi square at the heart of Kottayam town.
Later, with the movement becoming more volatile and taking to the streets in the interstate border areas, he organized a "Walk for Peace" movement (Ekatha Padayathra), which began in Kottayam and ended in Mullaperiyar. The team walked the entire distance over several days. This was well received by the masses and was widely acclaimed by the neutral media.
Political Career and Views
Anil was always in the forefront of the people's agitation against the government policies in the controversy surrounding the Mullaperiyar Dam. With the sudden demise of minister and sitting MLA T. M. Jacob and the subsequent by-poll in the Piravom Assembly constituency, he emerged as the people's candidate to contest the elections with the Mullaperiyar Issue holding centre-stage. His candidature was welcomed by many on social networking sites, for the reason that the people felt let-down by the government by its inaction over the issue.
Anil is married to Adv. Rashmi Ramesh, who has been a Lawyer in Human Rights Law Net Work, New Delhi.
- Anil Aickara (anilaickara) on about.me
- Facebookian enters bypoll contest | Deccan Chronicle
- Facebookian enters Piravom bypoll contets
- Piravom by-poll: First Facebook candidate pulls out | Deccan Chronicle
- Mullaperiyar Candidate for Piravom: പ്രകടന പത്രിക - അഡ്വ. അനില് ഐക്കര
- ഫേസ്ബുക്കില് നിന്ന് മുല്ലപെരിയാറിനായി ഒരു സ്ഥാനാര്ഥി