- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on January 14 2020. This is a backup of Wikipedia:Anubrata_Mandal. All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Anubrata_Mandal, the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Anubrata_Mandal.
Original short description: "Indian politician"
Template:EngvarB Template:Infobox officeholder File:Speech by Anubrata Manda (Bengali).ogg Anubrata Mandal, also known as Kesto, is an Indian politician and the current president of the Birbhum district Trinamool Congress & the Chairman of W.B.S.R.D.A.
It was claimed by Trinamool leaders that he has hypoxia for which he has to carry oxygen with him. Mandal has supported other Trinamool leaders in political campaigns for the 2014 Lok Sabha general elections.
Mandal became embroiled in political controversy at the time the Trinamool Congress came to power. During the panchayat elections of July 2013, he publicly encouraged Trinamool supporters to hurl bombs at the police and burn down the houses of independent candidates. Less than a week after Mandal made that speech, independent candidate Sagar Ghosh was shot and killed at his home in the village of Parui; the victim's family claimed that Mandal was involved.
Opposition parties charged that Mandal's speeches strongly provoked Trinamool supporters, resulting in the murder of Ghosh. The chief minister of West Bengal, Mamata Banerjee, supported Mandal, calling him "an efficient organizer" and vowing to "defend him to the end". The judicial panel investigating Ghosh's death suspended all proceedings in the case until mid-May, after local elections.
Dipankar Datta, a justice of the High Court, asked for an explanation from police chief G.M.P. Reddy as to why Mandal has not been arrested. Datta said the SIT (Special Investigation Team) is afraid to proceed against Mandal because of Mandal's support from the chief minister.
While speaking at a party event in Katwa, Burdwan in November 2013, Mandal is reported to have said: "If anyone threatens Trinamool supporters, then our workers will also attack their houses at night." Mandal also reportedly threatened to chop off the hands of Indian National Congress candidates, although a party official denies he ever said that.
He has been cited on two different occasions for showing a disrespectful altitude towards opposition parties.
- "High Court slams government for Anubrata inaction". Times of India (Kolkata: Times of India). http://m.timesofindia.com/city/kolkata/HC-slams-govt-for-Anubrata-inaction/articleshow/33415824.cms. Retrieved 27 April 2014.
- "Trinamool leader Anubrata Mandal threatens again, party leadership stands by him". Economic Times (Kolkata). 9 November 2013. http://m.economictimes.com/news/politics-and-nation/tmc-leader-anubrata-mandal-threatens-again-party-leadership-stands-by-him/articleshow/25517597.cms. Retrieved 28 April 2014.
- Template:Cite AV media
- "Mamata defends murder accused leader Anubrata Mandal". Times of India (Kolkata: Times of India). http://m.timesofindia.com/city/kolkata/Mamata-defends-murder-accused-leader-Anubrata-Mandal/articleshow/30489668.cms. Retrieved 28 April 2014.
- "Parui case Kin to appeal in Supreme Court". Times of India (Kolkata: Times of India). http://m.timesofindia.com/City/Kolkata/Parui-case-Kin-to-appeal-in-SC/articleshow/33925895.cms. Retrieved 28 April 2014.
- "High Court division bench stays Anubrata case, will hear it after Birbhum polls". Times of India (Kolkata High Court: Times of India). http://m.timesofindia.com/city/kolkata/HC-division-bench-stays-Anubrata-case-will-hear-it-after-Birbhum-polls/articleshow/33636163.cms. Retrieved 28 April 2014.
- "Order to GMP Reddy". The Telegraph (Kolkata: Telegraph India). http://www.telegraphindia.com/1140415/jsp/opinion/story_18189369.jsp. Retrieved 28 April 2014.
- "Second showcause notice to Trinamool Congress leader Anubrata Mandal". Business-Standard (Kolkata). http://wap.business-standard.com/article/pti-stories/second-showcause-notice-to-tmc-leader-anubrata-mandal-114032900618_1.html. Retrieved 28 April 2014.