- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on November 10 2017. This is a backup of Wikipedia:Balkrishna. All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Balkrishna, the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Balkrishna.
- Wikipedia editors had multiple issues with this page:
4 August 1972|
Haridwar, Uttar Pradesh, India
(now in Uttarakhand, India)
|Occupation||CEO of Patanjali Ayurved|
|Net worth||Template:Profit US$3.6 Billion(consolidated) (September 2017)|
Jay Vallabh (father)|
Sumitra Devi (mother)
Acharya Balkrishna (born 4 August 1972) is the managing director and primary stakeholder of Patanjali Ayurved, an Indian FMCG company. He is a close aide of yoga guru Baba Ramdev, with whom he founded the company in 2006.
Balkrishna is a scholar of Ayurveda, Sanskrit and the Vedas and hence often referred as Acharya Balkrishna. The Patanjali group claimed that he rediscovered Sanjeevani Booti, a herb which is believed to have the power to cure any malady and was believed to save the life of Lakshmana in the epic Ramayana.
Balkrishna was born on July 25, 1972 in Haridwar to Sumitra Devi and Jay Vallabh, both of shyangja, western Nepal. He joined Kalwa Gurukul, Haryana in 1988. Here he met the yoga guru Swami Ramdev. After Balkrishna completed his post-graduation from Sampurnanand Sanskrit University in Varanasi, he independently studied native medicinal plants.
In early 1995, Ramdev and Balkrishna set up Divya Pharmacy under the shelter of Ramdev's guru Swami Shankar Dev's ashram to make ayurvedic and herbal medicines. As per Ramdev, they didn't have the money for registration. For the initial three years, till 1998, medicines were distributed for free. Starting from purchasing raw materials to grinding, mixing and packaging used to be done by both of them. Later in 2003, Ramdev made Acharya Balkrishna as head of the pharmacy. Today the pharmacy is run like a business venture having two dozen vaids to inspect patients by minute and prescribing medicines.
Patanjali Ayurved, an FMCG company, was founded by Baba Ramdev and Balkrishna in 2006. Followers of Ramdev, NRIs Sunita and Sarwan Poddar, helped kick-start the business with a loan. According to Balkrishna, he had taken out a ₹50–60 crore loan at a time when he had never held a personal bank account in his name. In 2012, the company posted a turnover of Template:INRConvert which by 2015–2016 had risen to Template:INRConvert.
While Ramdev does not hold any stake in the company, he is the face of the firm and endorses its products to his followers across his yoga camps and television programmes. Balkrishna owns a 94% stake in the company and has amassed a personal fortune worth Template:INRConvert. His birthday is celebrated as Jadi Buti Divas ("Herb Day") in the Patanjali group of companies on August 4.
- Vice Chancellor, University of Patanjali
- General Secretary of Divya Yoga Mandir Trust
- General Secretary of Patanjali Yogpeeth Trust
- Managing Director of Vedic Broadcasting Limited (Aastha)
- Managing Director of Patanjali Food & Herbal Park Private Limited
- General Secretary, Patanjali Gramodyog Trust[no citations needed here]
- Chief Editor, Yog Sandesh
Awards and honours
- ‘Bharat Gaurav’ award by Kaptan Singh Solanki, Governor of Haryana and Punjab in recognition of his amazing work in the field of Ayurveda
- Bloomberg Special Recognition Award
- Ganga Ratan Award
- Spirit & Entrepreneurship Award by ISOL
- Felicitation by Archana Trust Mumbai
- In 2012, “Sujaan Shri” award by Shri Viranjnya Foundation for his contribution in the field of yoga and medicinal plants
Balkrishna serves as chief editor of Yog Sandesh, a magazine that promotes yoga and ayurveda. He, along with his co-authors have written many books and research papers. All the research papers and books are related to yoga and ayurveda. Below is a partial list.
|S.No.||Book Title||Year Published||Ref.|
|1.||"Divya Aushadhi, Sugandhit Avam Saundaryakaran Paudh"||2004|||
|2.||"Vitality Strengthening Astavarga Plants (For Vitality and Anti-aging)"||2005|||
|5.||"Ayurveda: its principles and philosophies"||2007|||
|6.||"Yoga In Synergy with Medical Science"||2007|||
|7.||"Secrets of Indian Herbs"||2008|||
|8.||"The Four Vedas"||2009|
|9.||"Yoga – Play and Learn"||2010|||
|10.||"Let us Learn Yoga - Class III"||2010|||
|11.||"Let us Learn Yoga - Class IV"||2010|||
|12.||"Let us Learn Yoga - Class V"||2010|||
|13.||"Vaidika Nityakarma Vidhi"||2010|||
|14.||"Secrets of Astavarga Plants"||2012|
|15.||"Vichaar kranti(Nepali Granth)"||2013|||
|16.||"Ayurveda Mahodadhi (Sushena Nighantu)"||2013|||
- Effect of a yoga practice session and a yoga theory session on state anxiety.
- Short term health impact of a yoga and diet change program on obesity.
- Serum leptin, cholesterol and blood glucose levels in diabetics following a yoga and diet change program.
- Heart rate variability changes during high frequency yoga breathing and breath awareness.
- Effects of high frequency yoga breathing called kapalabhati compared with breath awareness on the degree of optical illusion perceived.
- Effect of Yoga and Ayurveda on Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy.
- Effect of yoga on different aspects of mental health.
- Blood pressure and Purdue pegboard scores in hypertensives after alternate nostril breathing, breath awareness, and no intervention.
- Reaction time following yoga bellows type breathing and breath awareness.
- Immediate changes in muscle strength and motor speed following yoga breathing.
- Role of respiration in mind-body practices
- Blood Pressure and Heart Rate Variability during Yoga-Based Alternate Nostril Breathing Practice and Breath Awareness.
- Research on Traditional Medicine
- A comparative controlled trial comparing the effects of yoga and walking for overweight and obese adults.
- Effect of one week of yoga on function and severity in rheumatoid arthritis.
- Implications of Corporate Yoga
- Managing mental health disorders resulting from trauma through yoga
- Optical topography recording of cortical activity during high frequency yoga breathing and breath awareness.
- Body fat, cholesterol, triglycerides, and adipokines as predictors of waist circumference in overweight and obese adults.
- Corporate Yoga and Its Implications.
- Post traumatic stress symptoms and heart rate variability in Bihar flood survivors following yoga: a randomized controlled study.
- Yoga and diet change influence renal functions in the obese.
Balkrishna has been embroiled in a number of controversies including those that question his Indian citizenship and academic qualifications.
The Central Bureau of Investigations (CBI) registered a case against Balkrishna in 2011 and arrested him on charges of forgery and cheating. The agency claimed that his passport was issued based on forged high school and graduation certificates and that he owned a pistol without a legal permit. Subsequently, the Enforcement Directorate filed a case against him on charges of money laundering, but after the 2-years investigation found no evidence of wrongdoing and gave Balkrishna a clean chit in 2014. and another against him and a Naresh Chandra Dwivedi, the principal of the Sanskrit college which allegedly issued the fake certificate. The cases were closed in 2014.
- "India's Baba Ramdev Billionaire Is Not Baba Ramdev". Forbes. https://www.forbes.com/sites/meghabahree/2016/10/26/indias-baba-ramdev-billionaire-is-not-baba-ramdev/#248dd3fe7931. Retrieved 28 December 2016.
- "Share Nepal followers celebrate Ramdev Aid Acharya Balkrishna's birthday with pomp". Daijiworld.com. Daijiworld.com (Daijiworld Media Pvt Ltd Mangalore). 4 August 2011. http://www.daijiworld.com/news/news_disp.asp?n_id=110863. Retrieved 28 December 2016.
- Singh, Kanishka (14 September 2016). "How our craze for Patanjali made Ramdev aide Acharya Balkrishna one of the wealthiest Indians". Indian Express. http://indianexpress.com/article/opinion/web-edits/how-our-craze-for-patanjali-products-made-baba-ramdevs-aide-acharya-balkrishna-one-of-the-wealthiest-indians-3030589/. Retrieved 17 September 2016.
- "Flipkart's Bansals no more billionaires, Patanjali's Bala now worth $3.6 bn". Business Standard. Business Standard Private Ltd.. 8 March 2017. http://www.business-standard.com/article/economy-policy/flipkart-s-bansals-no-more-billionaires-patanjali-s-bala-now-worth-3-6-bn-117030701021_1.html. Retrieved 8 March 2017.
- "Give your startup a swift, invigorating kick with these lessons from desi ventures". Bennett, Coleman & Co. Ltd.. http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/magazines/brand-equity/give-your-startup-a-swift-invigorating-kick-with-these-lessons-from-desi-ventures/articleshow/53397986.cms. Retrieved 26 February 2017.
- "48 Acharya Balkrishna". Forbes. https://www.forbes.com/profile/acharya-balkrishna/. Retrieved 26 January 2017.
- "Patanjali CEO Acharya Balkrishna among India’s richest businessmen". The Tribune Trust. The Tribune Trust. 18 September 2016. http://www.tribuneindia.com/news/nation/-patanjali-ceo-acharya-balkrishna-among-india-s-richest-businessmen/297086.html. Retrieved 26 January 2017.
- "The rise and fall of Balkrishna". Business Standard. 30 July 2011. http://www.business-standard.com/article/beyond-business/the-rise-and-fall-of-balkrishna-111073000065_1.html. Retrieved 9 February 2017.
- "Has Ramdev done what Hanuman couldn’t?". Hindustan Times. 29 September 2008. http://www.hindustantimes.com/india/has-ramdev-done-what-hanuman-couldn-t/story-yqCE0scK7Lvc7xxTkgdhQI.html. Retrieved 9 February 2017.
- "Balkrishan has been Baba Ramdev's alter ego for 19 years". The Times Of India. The Times Of India. 8 June 2011. http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Balkrishan-has-been-Baba-Ramdevs-alter-ego-for-19-years/articleshow/8768758.cms. Retrieved 8 January 2017.
- "India's Baba Ramdev Billionaire Is Not Baba Ramdev". Forbes. https://www.forbes.com/sites/meghabahree/2016/10/26/indias-baba-ramdev-billionaire-is-not-baba-ramdev/#6eaf25197931. Retrieved 8 January 2017.
- "Baba of All Trades". business today. Living Media India Limited.. 6 December 2015. http://www.businesstoday.in/magazine/corporate/baba-ramdevs-patanjali-ayurved-forays-into-indias-rs-5300-crore-instant-noodles-market/story/226011.html. Retrieved 4 March 2017.
- "Yoga in a tangle". indiatoday. Living Media India Limited.. 23 January 2006. http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/baba-ramdev-lands-in-controversy-over-claims-of-cures-for-serious-ailments/1/182092.html. Retrieved 4 March 2017.
- "The man who owns 94% of Patanjali Ayurved". The Times of India. http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/business/india-business/The-man-who-owns-94-of-Patanjali-Ayurved/articleshow/52047722.cms.
- "Baba Ramdev loyalist and Patanjali CEO Acharya Balakrishna enters India rich list with $38 billion". The Financial Express. 13 September 2016. http://www.financialexpress.com/india-news/baba-ramdev-loyalist-and-patanjali-ceo-acharya-balakrishna-enters-india-rich-list-with-3-8-billion/375420/. Retrieved 16 October 2016.
- "The man who owns 94% of Patanjali Ayurved". Times Of India. 30 April 2016. http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/business/india-business/The-man-who-owns-94-of-Patanjali-Ayurved/articleshow/52047722.cms. Retrieved 9 February 2017.
- "Patanjali varsity students shine in jump rope championship". The Tribune. The Tribune Trust. http://www.tribuneindia.com/news/uttarakhand/community/patanjali-varsity-students-shine-in-jump-rope-championship/301175.html. Retrieved 11 April 2017.
- "Ramdev turns his Ayurved enterprise into an FMCG empire". Business Standard. Business Standard. 28 June 2015. http://www.business-standard.com/article/companies/ramdev-turns-his-ayurved-enterprise-into-an-fmcg-empire-115062800143_1.html. Retrieved 11 April 2017.
- "Acharya Balakrishna". FirstPost. http://www.firstpost.com/topics/acharya-balakrishna-50549.html. Retrieved 11 April 2017.
- "Haryana Guv presents Balkrishna ‘Bharat Gaurav’ award". http://www.dailypioneer.com/STATE-EDITIONS/dehradun/haryana-guv-presents-balkrishna-bharat-gaurav-award.html.
- "Bloomberg Special Recognition Award to Acharya Balkrishna". Youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cU-gqHtpWUw. Retrieved 28 December 2016.
- "पतंजलि योगपीठ के बालकृष्ण को मिला गंगा रत्न राष्ट्रीय पुरस्कार". SamacharJagat. 11 November 2016. http://www.samacharjagat.com/news/business/balkrishna-of-patanjali-yogpeeth-had-ratna-award-ganga-106649. Retrieved 28 December 2016.
- "ISOL Corporate Award 2011". ISOL Foundation. http://isol.asia/about-us/awards/isol-corporate-award-2011/. Retrieved 19 January 2017.
- "Vedic scholar and Ayurveda doctor Acharya Balkrishna felicitated in Mumbai". Times Of India. Bennett, Coleman & Co. Ltd. 3 October 2015. http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/events/mumbai/Vedic-scholar-and-Ayurveda-doctor-Acharya-Balkrishna-felicitated-in-Mumbai/articleshow/49195604.cms. Retrieved 26 February 2017.
- "Patanjali’s CEO Acharya Balakrishna Is Now Officially One Of India’s Richest Men!". ScoopWhoop Media. https://www.scoopwhoop.com/Acharya-Balakrishna-Who-Owns-94-Of-Patanjali-Is-The-26th-Richest-Man-In-India/#.g5rhl6u0r. Retrieved 11 April 2017.
- "Research" basic.medscimonit.com. Published 19 November 2014
- "Yoga research" frontiers, 25 November 2014
- Bharatiya Sahitya Sangrah "आयुर्वेद जड़ी-बूटी रहस्य"
- "Aushadhi, Jeevani Shakti, Vitality Strengthening Books". http://www.yoga4cure.com/divya-aushadhi-books/. Retrieved 9 January 2017.
- "Vitality Strengthening Astavarga Plants" Divya Yog Mandir Trust
- "Vitality Strengthening Astavarga Plants". Yoga4cure. http://www.yoga4cure.com/babaramdevayurvedabooks/vitality-strengthening-astavarga-plants.html. Retrieved 9 January 2017.
- "Bhakti Geetanjali". bookadda.com. http://www.bookadda.com/books/bhakti-geetanjali-acharya-balkrishna-818923546x-9788189235468. Retrieved 9 January 2017.
- "Aushad Darshan". Google. https://books.google.com/books?id=7lRNiN2ZsDIC&pg=PR1&lpg=PR1&dq=acharya+balkrishna&source=bl&ots=98RFvKYbK3&sig=W3rvxvdzuo5sZwsyoBWKVkaNeXQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiu8rqmspTRAhVJto8KHfSpDfY4RhDoAQhJMAk#v=onepage&q=acharya%20balkrishna&f=false. Retrieved 28 December 2016.
- "Ayurveda: its principles and philosophies" sapnaonline.com
- "Ayurveda: Its Principles & Philosophies". Google. https://books.google.com/books?id=umKRK9LTkwIC&pg=PP11&lpg=PP11&dq=acharya+balkrishna&source=bl&ots=azhcu5eG81&sig=EOhpO4_TwDNpZpL6m-MiZ7kV_mA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiu8rqmspTRAhVJto8KHfSpDfY4RhDoAQhGMAg#v=onepage&q=acharya%20balkrishna&f=false. Retrieved 28 December 2016.
- "Yog: In Synergy with Medical Science" www.vedicbooks.net
- "Secrets Of Indian Herbs For Good Health" www.diamondbook.in
- "Yoga - Play and Learn". amazon. http://www.amazon.in/Yoga-Learn-Class-Acharya-Balkrishna/dp/B016WS9B9E. Retrieved 9 January 2017.
- "let us learn yoga textbook for yoga education for students of class iii". exoticindiaart.com. http://www.exoticindiaart.com/book/details/let-us-learn-yoga-textbook-for-yoga-education-for-students-of-class-iii-NAG566/. Retrieved 9 January 2017.
- "Let Us Learn Yoga - Class 4". amazon.in. http://www.amazon.in/Let-Us-Learn-Yoga-Class/dp/B016WS8JDS. Retrieved 9 January 2017.
- "Let Us Learn Yoga - Class 5". amazon. http://www.amazon.in/Let-Us-Learn-Yoga-Calss/dp/B016WS8PUU. Retrieved 9 January 2017.
- "let us learn yoga textbook for yoga education for students of class v". exoticindiaart.com. http://www.exoticindiaart.com/book/details/let-us-learn-yoga-textbook-for-yoga-education-for-students-of-class-v-NAG561/. Retrieved 9 January 2017.
- "Vaidika Nityakarma Vidhi" Divya Prakashan
- "आयुर्वेद को पतंजलि ने दी वैश्विक पहचान" Jagran, 5 August 2013
- "Ayurved Mahodadih". exoticindiaart.com. http://www.exoticindiaart.com/book/details/ayurveda-mahodadih-sushena-nighantu-NZD820/. Retrieved 9 January 2017.
- "Ayurved - Mahodadhi". amazon.in. http://www.amazon.in/Ayurved-Mahodadhi-Acharya-Balkrishna/dp/8189235915. Retrieved 9 January 2017.
- "Bhojanakutuhalam". engineeringbooks.in. http://www.engineeringbooks.in/8189235907/Bhojanakutuhalam.html. Retrieved 9 January 2017.
- "Siddhasaar Sanhita". amazon. http://www.amazon.in/Sidhsar-Sanhita-Acharya-Balkrishna/dp/8189235958/ref=sr_1_17?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1484551203&sr=1-17. Retrieved 19 January 2017.
- "Astang Hridayam". EngineeringBooks. http://www.engineeringbooks.in/8189235974/Astang_Hridayam.html. Retrieved 19 January 2017.
- "Dainandin Yogabhyaskram". amazon. http://www.amazon.in/Dainandin-Yogabhyaskram-Acharya-Balkrishna/dp/8189235982/ref=sr_1_30?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1484551203&sr=1-30. Retrieved 19 January 2017.
- "Effect of a yoga practice session and a yoga theory session on state anxiety.". Perceptual and Motor Skills (Sage Journals). PMID 20178291.
- "Short term health impact of a yoga and diet change program on obesity.". Medical Science Monitor (International Scientific Information). PMID 20037492.
- "Serum leptin, cholesterol and blood glucose levels in diabetics following a yoga and diet change program". Medical Science Monitor (International Scientific Information). PMID 20190692.
- "Heart rate variability changes during high frequency yoga breathingand breath awareness". Springer Nature. https://bpsmedicine.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1751-0759-5-4. Retrieved 28 December 2016.
- "Effects of high-frequency yoga breathing called kapalabhati compared with breath awareness on the degree of optical illusion perceived.". Perceptual and Motor Skills (Sage Journals). PMID 21853784.
- "Effect of Yoga and Ayurveda on Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy". Indian Journal of Palliative Care. PMC 3183612. //www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3183612/.
- "Effect of yoga on different aspects of mental health.". Indian J Physiol Pharmacol.. PMID 23734439.
- "Blood pressure and purdue pegboard scores in individuals with hypertension after alternate nostril breathing, breath awareness, and no intervention". Medical Science Monitor (International Scientific Information). PMC 3628802. //www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3628802/.
- "Reaction time following yoga bellows-type breathing and breath awareness.". Perceptual and Motor Skills (Sage Journals). PMID 24422341.
- "Immediate changes in muscle strength and motor speed following yoga breathing.". PMID 25464673.
- "Role of Respiration in Mind-Body Practices: Concepts from Contemporary Science and Traditional Yoga Texts". Medical Science Monitor (International Scientific Information). PMC 4243490. //www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4243490/.
- "Blood Pressure and Heart Rate Variability during Yoga-Based Alternate Nostril Breathing Practice and Breath Awareness". Medical Science Monitor (International Scientific Information). http://www.basic.medscimonit.com/abstract/index/idArt/892063. Retrieved 9 January 2017.
- "Blood Pressure and Heart Rate Variability during Yoga-Based Alternate Nostril Breathing Practice and Breath Awareness". National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine. PMC 4247229.
- "Research on Traditional Medicine: What Has Been Done, the Difficulties, and Possible Solutions". Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine (eCAM) 2014. 12 June 2014. https://www.hindawi.com/journals/ecam/. Retrieved 9 January 2017.
- "A comparative controlled trial comparing the effects of yoga and walking for overweight and obese adults.". National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine. PMID 24878827.
- "Effect of one week of yoga on function and severity in rheumatoid arthritis". BioMed Central Ltd. http://bmcresnotes.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1756-0500-4-118. Retrieved 9 January 2017.
- "Implications of Corporate Yoga". IN TECH. http://www.intechopen.com/books/applied-biological-engineering-principles-and-practice/implications-of-corporate-yoga-a-review. Retrieved 9 January 2017.
- "Managing Mental Health Disorders Resulting from Trauma through Yoga". Hindawi Publishing Corporation 2012. 13 March 2012. https://www.hindawi.com/journals/drt/2012/401513/. Retrieved 9 January 2017.
- "Optical topography recording of cortical activity during high frequency yoga breathing and breath awareness". International Scientific Information. http://www.medscimonit.com/search/results/w/manuscript/?phrase=Optical%20topography%20recording%20of%20cortical%20activity%20during%20high%20frequency%20yoga%20breathing%20and%20breath%20awareness. Retrieved 9 January 2017.
- "Body fat location and cardiovascular disease risk factors in overweight female adolescents and eutrophic female adolescents with a high percentage of body fat.". Cardiology in the Young. PMID 21933459.
- "Corporate Yoga and Its Implications". Springer International Publishing AG. https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-642-14515-5_75. Retrieved 9 January 2017.
- "Post traumatic stress symptoms and heart rate variability in Bihar flood survivors following yoga: a randomized controlled study". Springer Nature Logo. http://bmcpsychiatry.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1471-244X-10-18. Retrieved 9 January 2017.
- "Yoga and diet change influence renal functions in the obese.". Medical Science Monitor (International Scientific Information). http://www.medscimonit.com/abstract/index/idArt/881178. Retrieved 9 January 2017.
- Prashant, Shishir (30 July 2011). "The rise and fall of Balkrishna". Business Standard. http://www.business-standard.com/article/beyond-business/the-rise-and-fall-of-balkrishna-111073000065_1.html. Retrieved 28 August 2015.
- "Balkrishna, aide of Baba Ramdev, booked in money laundering case; may be arrested". NDTV. PTI. 22 August 2011. http://www.ndtv.com/india-news/balkrishna-aide-of-baba-ramdev-booked-in-money-laundering-case-may-be-arrested-497515. Retrieved 8 September 2015.
- "Charges framed against Ramdev aide Balkrishna in fake passport case". NDTV. PTI. 31 October 2013. http://www.ndtv.com/india-news/charges-framed-against-ramdev-aide-balkrishna-in-fake-passport-case-539536. Retrieved 8 September 2015.
- "ED closes laundering case against Ramdev aide Balkrishna". The Times of India. 30 September 2014. http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/ED-closes-laundering-case-against-Ramdev-aide-Balkrishna/articleshow/43906243.cms. Retrieved 8 September 2015.