- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on December 27 2017. This is a backup of Wikipedia:Christopher_Homes. All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Christopher_Homes, the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Christopher_Homes.
It was celebrated as the nation's first rent-to-own public housing project. In the 1980's Christopher Homes had a high prensence of drug and gang activity and was one of many HANO developments experencing crime problems. NOPD nicknamed Caladium Ln as "Crack Zone" due to the large amount of Crack-Cocaine sales in that area. The project also made national headlines in 2003, when a 16-year-old girl was violently stabbed in a fight during a block party. The stabbing was among many other murders committed in the housing project before it closed. In 2007 a taxi driver was shot to death in Christopher Homes as he was ambushed by thugs attempting to rob him. Conditions in Christopher Homes where bad before Hurricane Katrina with dead grass and broken windows. Numerous buildings where also abandon and covered with graffiti. In 2004 only 150 units remained as the rest were demolished or burnt down. HANO stopped leasing vacant apartments at the complex several years before Katrina, and by 2005 only 80 units were occupied. In 2013 HANO demolished Christopher Homes due to high vacancy and crime.
- "Christopher Park Homes Projects - New Orleans, Louisiana". wikimapia.org. http://wikimapia.org/27755372/Christopher-Park-Homes-Projects. Retrieved 2014-05-10.
- "Housing Authority of New Orleans wronged Christopher Park residents: An editorial | NOLA.com". nola.com. http://www.nola.com/opinions/index.ssf/2011/06/housing_authority_of_new_orlea_3.html. Retrieved 2014-05-10.
- Jerry, Davis (March 29, 1989). "NOPD escape gunfire in Crack Zone". https://neworleansnews.org.
- "New Orleans Struggles With a Homicide Rate That Belies Its Size - New York Times". nytimes.com. https://www.nytimes.com/2003/07/11/us/new-orleans-struggles-with-a-homicide-rate-that-belies-its-size.html. Retrieved 2014-05-10.
- "Christopher Park housing development to be demolished | NOLA.com". nola.com. http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2013/04/christopher_park_housing_devel.html. Retrieved 2014-05-10.
- "Officials witness demolition of Algiers public housing complex | NOLA.com". nola.com. http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2013/04/officials_witness_demolition_o.html. Retrieved 2014-05-10.