- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on March 8 2014. This is a backup of Wikipedia:Convenience_package. All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Convenience_package, the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Convenience_package.
- This article needs additional references for verification. Please help by adding citations to reliable sources. Unsourced material will not be challenged and removed. (March 2014)
A convenience package is a set of minor functional enhancements to a vehicle, sold and priced as a unit. Many of these items are now included as standard equipment in a "step up" model of a particular vehicle line. As vehicles imported to the United States do not generally include the lowest "stripper" model, many of these features are standard on such imports. For domestic manufactures, vehicles will often use a common wiring harness regardless of features installed and so the marginal cost of adding these enhancements can be quite low for the manufacture and so enhance profitability. This use of a standard wiring harness can make it relatively easy to upgrade an older car using components from salvage vehicles. Many of the features now taken as standard, such as the passenger compartment dome light were once extra cost features or only seen in higher end models. Some features listed below
Typical convenience package enhancements include:
- Automatic central rear view mirror dimmer (may be part of a safety package)
- Automatic headlight dimmer (may be part of a safety package)
- Bluetooth cellphone link
- Coming/Leaving Home Kit (light activation to illuminate the surrounding of a vehicle when passengers and/or the driver emerge, garage door opener, etc.)
- Convenience turn signal (turn signal will automatically flash three times at a single tip of the turn signal lever.)
- Cruise control, either plain or adaptive (the vehicle will automatically adjust its velocity to preceding vehicles when the feature is enabled.)
- Front seat heating
- Glove compartment light
- Ground light on lower edge of door
- Map light
- Passenger assist strap or handhold
- Power exterior mirors
- Power seat adjustment
- Rear vision camera
- Remote start
- Umbrella holder in door pillar.
- Vanity mirror light
- Vanity mirror on sun visor
Convenience items now generally included as standard include:
- Passenger compartment dome light
- Trunk light
Convenience items that are sometimes in favor include:
- Carriage side light (a white light on the B or C pillars to assist passengers during entry and exit)
- Swiveling front seat - the seat rotates toward the door opening so that one can sit in the seat before bringing one's legs inside of the vehicle.
Convenience items not generally included on modern cars include:
- Engine compartment light
- Automobile camping package:
- Window screens
- Fold up rear seat back
- Added cushions or pads
- Hatchback tent extension
- Fitted luggage for touring (usually for use with a sports or grand touring car)
Obsolete items appearing only in antique cars
- Rumble seat
- Rumble seat entrance step
- Trunk rack
- Removable exterior trunk
- "2013 Chevrolet Equinox FWD 4dr LT w/1LT Pricing and Payment Calculator". carquotes.com. March 5, 2014. Archived from the original on March 5, 2014. http://www.carquotes.com/chevrolet/equinox/2013/fwd_4dr_lt_w%201lt/pricing/. Retrieved March 5, 2014.
- "New 2013 BMW X5 Options & Packages Prices". motortrend.com. March 5, 2014. Archived from the original on March 5, 2014. http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2013/bmw/x5/packages_options/. Retrieved March 5, 2014.
- "New 2013 Kia Optima Options & Packages Prices". motortrend.com. March 5, 2014. Archived from the original on March 5, 2014. http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2013/kia/optima/packages_options/. Retrieved March 5, 2014.
- "Convenience Package - Equipment - Cayenne - Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG". porsche.com. March 5, 2014. Archived from the original on March 5, 2014. http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/cayenne/cayenne/equipment/equipmentpackages-cayenne-conviencepackage/. Retrieved March 5, 2014.
- "2014 Buick Enclave Convenience SUV Ratings, Prices, Trims, Summary". autos.jdpower.com. February 28, 2014. Archived from the original on March 5, 2014. http://autos.jdpower.com/research/Buick/Enclave/2014/SUV/index.htm. Retrieved March 5, 2014.
- Goodwin, Antuan (March 5, 2014). "2014 Chevrolet Impala LT review: Chevy sedan shakes off rental-car stigma". CNET. San Francisco: CBS. Archived from the original on March 5, 2014. http://reviews.cnet.com/sedan/2014-chevrolet-impala-lt/4505-10865_7-35822755-2.html. Retrieved March 5, 2014.
- "Chevrolet Cruze - 2013". media.gm.com. March 5, 2014. Archived from the original on March 5, 2014. http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/chevrolet/vehicles/cruze/2013.html?id=1358007302123. Retrieved March 5, 2014.