Faculty of Home Science
- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on March 22 2015. This is a backup of Wikipedia:Faculty_of_Home_Science. All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Faculty_of_Home_Science, the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Faculty_of_Home_Science.
The Faculty of Home Science is a faculty of Acharya N.G. Ranga Agricultural University, formerly Andhra Pradesh Agricultural University (APAU), from 1964, as per the Land Grant Pattern of United States adopted by ICAR for improving the quality of rural life. Though initially the trimester system was followed, from 1973 the semester system was adopted.
The institution has awarded around 2000 graduates, 654 post graduates and 60 Ph.D scholars, who have settled in professions such as dieticians, preschool managers, interior designers, apparel designers, community coordinators for development programmes, university teachers and researchers. Jobs for graduates who have entered self-employment includr interior and exterior designing firms, apparel industry, voluntary organisations, day care centers, pre schools, food processing units, and diet counselling centers.
Under the headship of the Dean, there are 21 Professors, 12 Associate Professors and 16 Assistant Professors on rolls, positioned as teachers in the College of Home Science, scientists in All India coordinated Research (AICRP) and Subject Matter Specialists (SMS) in Krishi Vignan Kendras (KVKs) and District Agricultural Advisory and Transfer of Technology Centres (DAATTCs). The Administrative Office is located within the college campus.
The aim of the faculty is help the student learn how to enhance the standard of individuals in general and rural families in particular through teaching, research and extension activities. The focus is on empowerment of woman and girl children in rural and urban households through self-employment which will help towards rural development.
- Human Development and Family Studies
- Extension and Communication Management
- Foods and Nutrition
- Resource Management and Consumer Sciences
- Apparel and Textiles
Disciplines and vocational electives
- Apparel Production Management
- Information Technology and Communication Management
- Nutrition and Dietetics
- Organisation and Management of ECCD Programmes
- Interior and Exterior Space Design.
- 1964: Transformation of College of Domestic Science of Department of Technical Education, Andhra Pradesh into College of Home Science, Andhra Pradesh Agricultural University (APAU).
- 1967: Establishment of Laboratory Nursery School.
- 1968: Postgraduate programme - M.Sc. Foods and Nutrition
- 1974: First research programme on "Evaluation of Special Nutrition Programmes" in Andhra Pradesh
- 1978: Ph.D programme in Foods and Nutrition and M.Sc Programme in Child Development and Home Management.
- 1983: College of Home Science in Bapatla, Guntur dt.
- 1984: MSc in Textiles and Clothing
- 1985: Establishment of creche
- 1985: PostgGraduate and Research Centre, Department of Food and Nutrition
- 1989: Diet Counseling Centre
- 1989: Revision of course curriculum of B.Sc (Home Science) to B.H.Sc (rural) from 1989 and introduction of Rural Home Science Work experience Programme (RHWEP)..
- 1994: Elevation of the status of Dept of Foods and Nutrition to Centre of Advanced Studies in Nutrition (CAS) by ICAR.
- 1996: Ph.D in Child Development, Family Resource Management and Textiles and Clothing.
- 1996: Inclusion of Clothing and Textiles and Extension Education components in AICRP
- 1999: Introduction of four year degree programme B.H.Sc from 1999-2000.
- 2002: Introduction of self financed undergraduate and postgraduate diploma programmes and certificate courses.
- 2003: Kindergarten school and Day care centre
- 2003: Recognition to the Department of Resource Management and Consumer Sciences as the Nodal agency for consumer education by the Department of Civil supplies, Govt of Andhra Pradesh.
- 2005: Revision of undergraduate course curriculam as per the IV deans committee, ICAR and implementation from 2007–08
- 2005: Child guidance and family counseling centre
- 2006: Consumer club and Consumer Guidance and Counselling centre, Floral craft production unit
- 2008: Apparel production unit
- 2008: Revision of postgraduate syllabus to suit revised undergraduate syllabus of 2007-08
Formulation of technologies for farm women being the objective of home science research, major thrust was placed on the areas of Food, nutrition and Health security, capacity building for drudgery reduction, value addition to farm and non farm waste, livelihood security, consumer education and preschool education. Its objectives are directed towards formulation of technologies for improving the quality of life in rural Andhra Pradesh. Projects started in 1974, funded by international and national organizations (UNICEF, CARE, Indo Dutch, IDRC, IFS, FF, CIRDAP, FAO, UNDP, US wheat associates, ICAR, ICMR, DST, Ministry of HRD, BARC) and State government departments (Civil Supplies and Consumer Affairs, Education, SERP, DPEP).
Founders and administrators
|Principal/Associate Dean, Hyderabad||Principal/Associate Dean, Bapatla||Dean, Faculty of Home Science|
|Dr.G.V.Subbaimma 1964-73||Dr.Vijaya Khader 1983-87||Dr.P.Pushpamma 1982-92|
|Dr.T.C.Kamala 1973-74||Dr.K.Chittemma Rao 1987-89||Dr.P.Geervani 1992-93|
|Dr.P.Pushpamma 1974-82||Dr.Vijaya Khader 1989-92||Dr.K.Chittemma Rao 1993-96|
|Dr.P.Geervani 1982-84||Dr.R.Vatsala 1991-93||Dr.R.Vatsala 1996-98|
|Dr.K.Chittemma Rao 1984-86||Dr.D.Sarada 1993-97||Dr.Vijaya Khader 2002-2006|
|Dr.R.Vatsala 1986-89||Dr.V.Vimala 1997-2001||Dr.P.Rajyalakshmi 2007 onwards|
|Dr.K.Chittemma Rao 1989-92|
|Dr.S.Renuka 1995-2000, 2005-2005|
|Dr.Vijaya Khader 2000-2002|
|Dr.Vijaya Nambiar 2006 onwards|
- News letter, Faculty of Home Science, Acharya N.G.Ranga Agricultural University, Volume 1, No.1, September 2008.
- Official website of ANGRAU.
- Official website of ICAR.