- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on March 16 2019. This is a backup of Wikipedia:Gatecoin. All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Gatecoin, the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Gatecoin.
Gatecoin was a bitcoin and ethereum token exchange based in Hong Kong. Founded in July 2013 by a former investment banker, Aurélien Menant,Template:Unreliable source? Gatecoin became the first cryptocurrency exchange to list ethereum's native token, ether (ETH) in August 2015 and has since specialised in listing ethereum tokens associated with decentralized applications.Template:Unreliable source?Template:Unreliable source?Template:Primary source inline
Gatecoin is the only bitcoin technology firm being incubated by the Hong Kong Science and Technology Parks Corporation,Template:Primary source inline a statutory body of the Hong Kong Government. Gatecoin is also incubated by the Tuspark business park in Nanjing.Template:Failed verification
In 2016 Gatecoin experienced a cyberattack on its hot wallets that resulted in the loss of funds. An update from the exchange team indicated that as much as $2m was lost, confirming rumors that circulated soon after the hack became apparent.
Gatecoin has claimed that it lost as much as 185,000 ethers and 250 bitcoins, an amount worth roughly $2.14m at the time. The exchange further said that it believes the hack first began on 9 May, and that it continued over the following three days.
- Suberg, William (23 May 2014). "Paying by the Book: An Interview with Gatecoin’s Aurélien Menant". Cointelegraph. https://cointelegraph.com/news/paying_by_the_book_an_interview_with_gatecoin_s_aurelien_menant.
- "Aurélien Menant" (in en). http://www.startbase.hk/people/aurelien-menant.
- Galt, Juan (August 5, 2015). "Ethereum Network Continues Thawing Process in Anticipation of the Start of Trading". https://bitcoinmagazine.com/articles/ethereum-network-begins-thawing-process-anticipation-start-trading-1438829116/.
- Allison, Ian (2016-04-29). "DigixGlobal adds Ethereum-based DGD tokens to Hong Kong's Gatecoin and China's Yunbi exchanges". International Business Times UK. http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/digixglobal-adds-ethereum-based-dgd-tokens-hong-kongs-gatecoin-chinas-yunbi-exchanges-1557379.
- "Gatecoin Launches the First Exchange with Segregated Client Bank Accounts". HKSTP News and Media. Archived from the original on 2015-04-26. https://archive.is/20150426124629/http://www.hkstp.org/en-US/News-Media-Events/Science-Park-Company-News/2015/Gatecoin-Launches-the-First-Exchange-with-Segregat.aspx.
- Gatecoin LTD at Tuspark
- "Gatecoin joins the Supercharger Accelerator in Hong Kong". The Merkle. http://themerkle.com/news/bitcoin-exchange-gatecoin-joins-the-supercharger-accelerator-in-hong-kong/.
- "Bitcoin Startup Joins Baidu-Backed FinTech Accelerator". Coindesk. http://www.coindesk.com/bitcoin-baidu-fintech-accelerator/.
- Olsen, Robert (24 May 2016). "Hackers Steal $2 Million From Bitcoin Exchange In Hong Kong, Bounty Offered To Recover Funds". Forbes. https://www.forbes.com/sites/robertolsen/2016/05/24/hackers-steal-2-million-from-bitcoin-exchange-in-hong-kong-bounty-offered-to-recover-funds/.