- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on July 30 2018. This is a backup of Wikipedia:Isaac_Arthur. All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Isaac_Arthur, the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Isaac_Arthur.
|Education||BS in Physics|
Kent State University|
Board of Elections commissioner
|Known for||Science & Futurism with Isaac Arthur|
Isaac Albert Arthur (born Template:Circa 1980) is a science communication YouTuber, physicist and futurist. He is best known as producer of his YouTube channel, Science & Futurism With Isaac Arthur (SFIA), where he discusses a broad variety of topics on futurism and space colonization in terms of thermodynamics and known science.
Early life and education
Arthur was born to two physicists and raised by his mother and his Grandfather, Alan Arthur, along with an older sister. As a student he began homeschooling at the age of 10 and dropped out of high school at age 12, instead receiving his GED at the age of 16. In 2001 he graduated top of his class in physics at Kent State University and began to pursue a graduate degree in biophysics.
Arthur enlisted in the United States Army in 2003, spending time stationed in Fort Sill, Oklahoma, and Giessen, Germany. His tenure in military service lasted until 2010, after which he returned to his home in Ashtabula, Ohio. Arthur became involved in local politics and now serves as Chairman on the Ashtabula County Board of Elections.
Arthur began an educational YouTube channel, Science & Futurism with Isaac Arthur, in 2012. In September 2014, Arthur released the first video on the channel on the topic of megastructures. The channel is now host to over 275,000 subscribers and over 150 videos. Arthur continues to serve as a board member of his hometown's Board of Elections by day, spending the majority of his personal time working on the production of his videos. Following the success of his channel, Arthur collaborates with other science communicators and acts as an analyst and consultant for science fiction novels and games, such as HADES 9.
Science & Futurism with Isaac Arthur
Template:Expand section Isaac Arthur is the creator and producer of the YouTube channel, Science & Futurism with Isaac Arthur. This channel is dedicated to topics including space colonization in the near and far future, futurism, artificial intelligence, and transhumanism, among others, especially in the context of thermodynamics, economics, science fiction, the Fermi paradox, and the Dyson dilemma. The channel's main focus is to speculate on how humanity or other hypothetical advanced civilizations may behave logistically, technologically, and socially, in the near and distant future under the laws of known science.
The channel now has over 150 videos with over 275 thousand subscribers, with new videos coming out once every Thursday. Episodes tend to be around thirty minutes in length and are roughly organized into series:
- Advanced Civilizations
- Alien Civilizations
- Post Scarcity Civilizations
- Civilizations at the End of Time
- Cyborgs, Androids, Transhumanism & AI
- Fermi Paradox
- Interstellar Warfare
- Upward Bound
- Outward Bound
Arthur also collaborates with other YouTubers and science communicators.
- Dyson dilemma
- Dyson swarm
- Fermi paradox
- Lofstrom loop
- Orbital ring
- Timeline of the far future
- Universe Today
- Eck, Joshua (26 October 2015). "SECRETARY HUSTED APPOINTS ISAAC ARTHUR TO THE ASHTABULA COUNTY BOARD OF ELECTIONS". Ohio Secretary of State Media Center. Ohio Secretary of State. https://www.sos.state.oh.us/media-center/press-releases/2015/2015-10-26/. Retrieved 30 July 2018.
- "SFIA 100k Subscribers Special". p. 00:07:01. https://github.com/CuteLifeBot/IsaacArthur/blob/master/vids/SFIA-100k-Subscribers-Special.md. Retrieved 30 July 2018.
- Brown, Leah (November 16, 2017). "Futurist Isaac Arthur predicts robots will replace white collar, not blue collar, jobs first" (in en). TechRepublic. https://www.techrepublic.com/article/futurist-isaac-arthur-predicts-robots-will-replace-white-collar-not-blue-collar-jobs-first/. Retrieved 6 August 2018.
- Todd, Mark. "Geneve Resident’s Science Program’s a hit on youtube" (in en). http://www.starbeacon.com/news/local_news/geneva-resident-s-science-programs-a-hit-on-youtube/article_def6d80d-61d0-53ad-8c44-f0aaaefbd685.html. Retrieved 8 August 2018.
- "Ashtabula County Board of Elections". https://www.electionsonthe.net/oh/ashtabula/. Retrieved 30 July 2018.
- Arthur, Isaac. "Megastructures (Original Summary Version)". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8ryqjyLBL8. Retrieved 30 July 2018.
- Arthur, Isaac. "Science & Futurism with Isaac Arthur". https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZFipeZtQM5CKUjx6grh54g/videos. Retrieved 30 July 2018.
- -, Nick, Matt, Dan, Luuk, Ryan. "HADES 9 Update: March 8, 2018". HADES 9. https://hades9.com/2018/03/08/hades-9-update-march-8-2018/. Retrieved 30 July 2018.
- Arthur, Isaac. "Home - IsaacArthur.net". Science & Futurism with Isaac Arthur, LLC. https://www.isaacarthur.net/. Retrieved 30 July 2018.
- Cain, Fraser. "Colonizing the Solar System" (in en). https://www.universetoday.com/132010/colonizing-outer-solar-system/. Retrieved 8 August 2018.