K. I. Varaprasad Reddy
- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on December 30 2013. This is a backup of Wikipedia:K._I._Varaprasad_Reddy. All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/K._I._Varaprasad_Reddy, the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/K._I._Varaprasad_Reddy.
|Dr. Koduru Varaprasad Reddy|
November 17, 1948|
Nellore Dist., Andhra Pradesh, IN
|Occupation||Chairman of the Board at Shantha Biotechnics|
Dr. Varaprasad Reddy was born in Agricultural family in Papireddy Palem, Nellore District, Andhra Pradesh, India – only child to the parents Late Venkata Ramana Reddy and Mother Mrs. Shanthamma. His Mother was his first guru in every aspect of life.
Varaprasad Reddy had done his Bachelor of Science degree from Sri Venkateshwara University in 1967 and he was an Engineering Graduate (Electronics & Communication) from Andhra University - 1970. After his graduation he pursued PG Diploma in Computer Sciences from Biblingen University, West Germany in 1971. Later he had done his Masters in Business Administration Degree from Osmania University in 1980.
Worked as Research scientist for Defence Electronics Research Laboratories, Hyderabad from 1972 to 1977. Later from 1977 to 1985 he worked in APIDC (Andhra Pradesh Industrial Development Corporation). During that period assisted in promoting number of industries and assisted entrepreneurs in their project implementation.
To become an entrepreneur he left Government service and joined Hyderabad Batteries Ltd. Co-promoted Sabnife Power Systems Limited, an Indo-Swedish joint venture for development and production of High Technology based batteries for Defence applications, such as submarine batteries and MiG aircraft batteries.
He founded Shantha Biotechnics Private Limited with the objective of developing recombinant based vaccines and therapeutic proteins for human healthcare. Their stated mission is to produce cost-effective drugs to reach the common man at an affordable price, while maintaining International standards in quality.
Drugs developed by Shantha Biotechnics are SHANVAC-B, SHANFERON, SHANKINASE, SHANPOIETIN, SHANTETRA, SHAN5, SHAN HIB-DPT, SHAN HIB, SHANTT.
Today, Shantha Biotechnics caters to major international markets including Asia-Pacific, Africa, CIS and Latin America in addition to international organisations like UNICEF and PAHO.
- Padma Bhushan – by Govt. of India in 2005
- Ernst & Young – Entrepreneur of the Year, 2000 for healthcare and lifesciences
- BioSpectrum Person of the Year award for 2007 for "pioneering a biotech wave"
- Sri Venkateswara University, Tirupati – Honorary Doctorate in 2005
- National Technology Award – for successful commercialization of Scientific Products – In 1999 for Shanvac-B and in 2003 for Shanferon
- DSIR – (Dept. of Scientific Industrial Research, Govt. of India) Award – for best R& D efforts in industry – In 1998 for Shanvac-B and in 2003 for Shanferon
- DBT – (Dept. of Biotechnology) Award – In 2005 for Shanpoietin
- FAPCCI- (Fedn., of AP Chambers of Commerce & Industry) Awards –
- In 1986 as ‘Best Exporter’,
- In 1999, for ‘Best Marketing Efforts’
- In 2004, ‘Best New Product Innovation Award’ for Shanferon
- In 2005 ‘Best Technology Development in R&D’ award for Shankinase
- Inst., of Public Enterprise – In 1998, ‘Distinguished Entrepreneur’ Award
- Hyd. Management Assn. – In 1980, Best Manager Award
- American Telugu Association (ATA) – In 1998, for Research in the field of Biotechnology
- State Bank of India – Pragna Bharati Puraskar in 2002
- Dr. Ramineni Foundation Award – Visishta Puraskar, 2000
- National Citizen’s Overseas Award – 2000
- Madras University Award – In 1961, for standing University first in Telugu in SSLC exam.