- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on December 22 2019. This is a backup of Wikipedia:Kelly_Mikelson. All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Kelly_Mikelson, the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Kelly_Mikelson.
Mikelson was born on December 12, 1969 in Kansas City, Missouri. She attended Iowa City West High School for her first two years of high school and then moved to Cambridge, Massachusetts where she attended Cambridge Rindge and Latin School.[no citations needed here]
Mikelson attended Harvard University and earned her undergraduate and graduate degrees. She received a Ph.D. in Public Policy Analysis from the Lyndon B. Johnson School of Public Affairs University of Texas at Austin.[no citations needed here]
After leaving the Urban Institute, Mikelson worked as a volunteer in the Austin Independent School District. She helped to start the Liberal Arts and Science Academy foundation. When AISD was debating moving LASA to its own building, she advocated for a more centrally located school at a public hearing in front of the School Board.  Mikelson has also served as a member of the Facilities and Bond Planning Advisory Committee for AISD since January 2019.
Mikelson's research focus is on workforce development. She wrote a paper on Senior Community Service Employment Program and was called to a U.S. Senate briefing to provide information on the program and its usefulness in retraining workers. Previously, she was a research scientist for The Ray Marshall Center for the Study of Human Resources at the Lyndon B. Johnson School of Public Affairs at the University of Texas at Austin.
Between July 2012 to June 2013, she worked in the Office of the Provost at Yale University as Program Manager for Faculty Development and Diversity.[no citations needed here]
- Diver-Stamnes, Ann (14 August 2017). "Chronologically Gifted: Kelly Mikelson on Work in Later Life". KHSU. https://www.khsu.org/post/chronologically-gifted-kelly-mikelson-work-later-life#stream/0.
- "Austin’s top magnet school may be dislocated from East Austin home". March 31, 2017. https://www.austinmonitor.com/stories/2017/03/austins-top-magnet-school-may-dislocated-east-austin-home/. Retrieved 2019-12-17.
- "FABPAC Membership". https://www.austinisd.org/advisory-bodies/fabpac/membership. Retrieved 2019-12-17.
- "Kelly S. Mikelson". 2016-06-04. https://www.urban.org/author/kelly-s-mikelson. Retrieved 2019-11-16.
- "Meeting the Employment Needs of Unemployed Older Americans". https://www.ncoa.org/wp-content/uploads/January-19-SCSEP-Briefing-Speakers.pdf. Retrieved 2019-12-17.