Kumoh National Institute of Technology
- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on May 9 2015. This is a backup of Wikipedia:Kumoh_National_Institute_of_Technology. All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Kumoh_National_Institute_of_Technology, the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Kumoh_National_Institute_of_Technology.
- Wikipedia editors had multiple issues with this page:
- This article needs additional references for verification. Please help by adding citations to reliable sources. Unsourced material will not be challenged and removed. (January 2015)
Kumoh National Institute of Technology (Acronym: KIT; Korean, 금오공과대학교, Kumoh Gonggwa Daehakgyo, colloquially KumohGongdae) is a national research and business development (R&BD) university in Republic of Korea (South Korea). It is located in Gumi City, Gyeongbuk, South Korea.
- 1 History
- 2 Vision
- 3 Academics
- 4 Excellent Accomplishments
- 5 Academy & Industry Collaboration Group
- 6 Dormitory
- 7 Four Seasons of KIT
- 8 Root [kit+idea]
- 9 Climate
- 10 References
- 11 External links
- 12 See also
Kumoh National Institute of Technology was founded on December 31, 1979 by Park Chung-hee Former President of South Korea. In 1987, graduate school was established for both master and Ph.D courses such as mechanical engineering, electronic engineering and civil engineering. KIT turned into a national institute on March 1990. On December 30, 2004 KIT moved to the new Yangho-dong campus. Until now, KIT is only national university for engineering in Korea.
- Sep. 1979 Obtained an approval for the establishment plan of Kumoh Institute of Technology from President Park Chung-hee
- Dec. 1979 Established Kumoh Institute of Technology
- Mar. 1980 Held the first entrance ceremony(Depts. of Mechanical Eng. & Electronics Eng.: 160 students each), Inaugurated Lee Dong-ho as the first dean
- Nov. 1986 Established the graduate school of industry(master’s courses: 40 students), Depts. of Mechanical Eng. & Electronic Eng.
- Nov. 1987 Established the graduate school(master’s courses: 36 students), Depts. of Mechanical Eng. & Electronic Eng. & Civil Eng.
- Mar. 1990 Changed into a national institute(Presidential Decree No. 12941)
- Mar. 1993 Changed the name to Kumoh National Institute of Technology(Presidential Decree No. 13859)
- Mar. 1993 Inaugurated Dr. Choi Younghyun as the first president
- Dec. 2004 Relocated KIT to Yanghodong campus
- Feb. 2005 Completed Yangho-dong campus(site: 736,579㎡, 21 bldgs., bldg. area: 123,305㎡)
- Jun. 2009 Selected for the leading industry manpower cultivation project of mega-city region
- Apr. 2012 Selected for the second phase of Engineering Education Innovation Project
- Apr. 2012 Selected for the University -Education Capacity Enhancement Project for five consecutive years
- May 2012 Selected for the ACE (Advancement for College Education) Project
- May 2012 Selected for the leading industry eight fields professional cultivation project in Daegu-Gyeongbuk region
- Apr. 2013 Inaugurated Dr. Yeungshik Kim as the sixth president May 2013 Selected as Best Institute in the 1st Annual Evaluation for LINC Project
- Jul. 2013 Selected for the University Education Capacity Enhancement Project for six consecutive years
- Jul. 2013 Selected as the Best University in the Industry Evaluation for 2012(Architecture Educational Institution, Korean Council for University Education)
KIT’s new vision is "R&BD (Research & Business Development) specialized university for creative talent training (창의인재 양성을 위한 R&BD(연구개발사업화) 특화대학)". KIT’s new vision is to share the values of future technology industry with more people. Dreaming of the world where everyone can live in happiness, KIT has made unrivalled remarkable achievements so far.
In KIT, there are 6 schools, 13 departments, 1 program, and 4 graduate schools.
- Electronic Engineering
- Civil & Environmental Engineering
- Industrial Engineering
- Energy and Integrated Materials Engineering
- Advance Materials and System Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Mechanical Design Engineering
- Mechanical System Engineering
- Mechatronics Engineering
- Intelligent Mechanical Engineering
- Computer Engineering
- Computer Software Engineering
- Materials Design Engineering
- Applied Mathematics
- Optical Engineering
- Applied Chemistry
- Medical IT Convergence Engineering
- Business Administration
The undisputed best engineering school KIT has made remarkable accomplishments and could reconfirm its upgraded status as being selected for the Education Capacity Enhancement Project for six consecutive years and as the best university in the Industry Evaluation. KIT continuously evolves into a leader in the university education culture instead of simply remaining as an engineering institute.
Specialized education is future competitiveness. kit’s graduate school consisting of General Graduate School and Special Graduate School aims to teach and explore academic theories and its application methods, and cultivate talented individuals who can contribute to the development of nation and human society by upgrading individual qualifications and nurturing leadership based on the founding principles of ‘Truth, Creativity, and Honest. ’The graduate school is committed to produce multifunctional human resources with expertise who will play a role in fostering the leading science and technology-based country in the world.
- Graduate School Doctor Courses(20 Depts. & day class)
Department of Mechanical Engineering | Department of Mechatronics | Department of Mechanical Design Engineering | Department of Intelligent Mechanical Engineering | Department of Electronic Engineering | Department of IT Convergence Engineering | Department of Computer Engineering | Department of Software Engineering | Department of Architecture Engineering | Department of Civil Engineering | Department of Environmental Engineering | Department of Industrial Engineering | Department of Advance Materials Engineering | Department of Polymer Engineering | Department of Material Design Engineering | Department of Business Administration | Department of Mathematics | Department of Physics | Department of Applied Chemistry | Department of Consulting
- Graduate School Master Courses(21 Depts. & day class)
Department of Mechanical Engineering | Department of Mechatronics | Department of Mechanical Design Engineering | Department of Intelligent Mechanical Engineering | Department of Mechanical System Engineering | Department of Electronic Engineering | Department of IT Convergence | Department of Computer Engineering | Department of Software Engineering | Department of Architecture Engineering | Department of Civil Engineering | Department of Environmental Engineering | Department of Industrial Engineering | Department of Advance Materials Engineering | Department of Polymer Engineering | Department of Material Design Engineering | Department of Business Administration | Department of Mathematics | Department of Physics | Department of Applied Chemistry | Department of Techno-Mechanical Engineering
- Graduate School Academy-Industry-Research Cooperation Courses
LG Electronics Ltd. (Department of Techno-Mechanical Engineering) | Gumi Electronic Technology Research Center (All Engineering Departments) | Korea Institute of Robot and Convergence (All Engineering Departments) | Korea Machine Research Center (Department of Mechanical Engineering & Department of Advanced Materials Engineering)
- Graduate School of Industry Master Courses (9 Depts. & night class)
Department of Mechanical Engineering | Department of Electronics & Electronic Engineering | Department of Electronic & Electric Engineering | Department of Computer & IT Engineering | Department of Civil, Environment and Construction Engineering | Department of Industrial Engineering | Department of Advance Materials Engineering | Department of Green Energy Convergence | Department of Techno-Management
- Graduate School of Education Master Courses (5 majors & night class)
Mathematics Education | English Education | Korean Language Education | Social Education | Educational Administration
International Exchange Program
KIT supports the development of global leaders of tomorrow The center is committed to cultivating internationally competitive people with broad viewpoints and insights through the students’ overseas study program by making sisterhood relationships with well-known foreign universities. The center also introduces the excellent performance of kit to the world through international academic exchange events and supports students to advance into the global stage.
|kit Students||International Student Exchange||
|Overseas Internship Program||
|Foreigners||Special Admission for Foreigners||
|Selection of Foreign Graduate School Students||
|Korean Language Course for Foreigners||
|kit Int’l Program||
|Free Korean Language Class||
|Int’l Exchange||Invitation of Exchange Professor||
|Invitation of Foreign Great Scholars||
|Countries in Sisterhood Relationship||The US, China, Japan, Germany, Russia, Australia, Holland, New Zealand, Belgium, Hungary, Lithuania, Malaysia, Mongolia, Vietnam, Uzbekistan, Indonesia, Thailand, Kyrgyzstan, The Philippines (19 countries as of Aug. 2013)|
Academy & Industry Collaboration Group
Competitive KIT fosters the cutting-edge knowledge hub for the 21st century The engineering college’s educational competitiveness stems from various industry-academiccollaboration activities. KIT’s Academy & Industry Collaboration Group is a corporation established by the Promotion of Industrial Education and Industry-Academic Cooperation Act with the aim of not only strengthening the university’s competitiveness by promoting industrial education and facilitating cooperation between industry and university, but also contributing to the development of local communities and the nation. The office is responsible mainly for supervising diverse industry-academic cooperation projects conducted with national and municipal bodies, research institutions and businesses, vitalizing business incubation by promoting the acquisition and management of intellectual property rights and the commercialization of technology transfer, and supporting the set-up and operation of school-based enterprises and cooperative institutes for research.
KIT dormitory was established to provide students with convenience for study and contributes to improving students’ self-controlling ability and responsibility by sharing a space and fostering an academic atmosphere of the university. The dormitory accommodating a total of 1,650 students is divided into the existing Pureum Hall built by the BTL private investment project and the new Oreum Hall. Pureum Hall consists of four buildings and Oreum Hall is one building (accommodating 800 students); two more buildings are expected to be built by the BTL project. Rooms include single rooms/double rooms/quad rooms/rooms for the disabled. Every room is equipped with a bed, desk, chair, closet, shoe shelf, air conditioner, telephone (extension), etc. Amenities include a cafeteria, lounge, fitness room, laundry room, sports room, gym, convenience store, praying room, etc.
Four Seasons of KIT
Winter (~December to ~end February*) is generally cold and dry, very dry. Although there used to be a lot of snow, that’s not the case these days. When it does snow, the white blanket melts either right away or in a few days.
Spring (~March thru May*) usually announces its arrival with bright yellow forsythia flowers (kanari) along streets and highways. The season often starts out cool and maybe wet, but gradually the weather warms up and other spring flowers begin making their appearance, including magnolia and cherry blossoms.
Summer (June thru August*) is one of the proofs that Korea is a land of extremes in that it is as hot and humid and the Korean winter is cold and dry. Summer is relatively hot and humid with monsoon rains beginning near the end of June and lasting until mid to late July.
Autumn (September to November*) is probably the best time of year in Korea. The weather is cooler and dryer, but still pleasantly warm and sunny. As the season progresses, the leaves change colors and harvesting begins. Fall is the time of Chuseok, Korean Thanksgiving.
Evolving ideas, kit believes it is the root of a creative economy Founded in Gumi, Gyeongsangbuk-do thirty-three years ago with the aim of cultivating excellent engineers, they have been walking a single path as an engineering college and has taken deep root. Over time, the Kumoh National Institute of Technology (kit) has branched out to win reputations as ‘well-teaching university’, ‘global engineer cultivating university’, ‘university with active cooperation with industry’, and ‘university with high employment rate.’ To become a glocal (derived from glocalization, meaning ‘think globally, act locally’) university beyond the present status, students and professors continuously devote themselves to study and research.