List of permaculture projects
- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on August 31 2014. This is a backup of Wikipedia:List_of_permaculture_projects. All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/List_of_permaculture_projects, the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/List_of_permaculture_projects.
This is list of examples of notable permaculture projects and practitioners.
Zimbabwe has 60 schools designed using permaculture, with a national team working within the schools' curriculum development unit. The UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) has produced a report on using permaculture in refugee situations after successful use in camps in Southern Africa and Republic of Macedonia. The Biofarming approach applied in Ethiopia has very similar features and can be considered permaculture. It is mainly promoted by the non-governmental organisation BEA, based in Addis Ababa.
The development of permaculture co-founder David Holmgren's home plot at Melliodora, Central Victoria, has been well documented. Geoff Lawton's Zaytuna Farm next to The Channon in northern NSW, Australia, is a 66-acre medium-farm scale example of permaculture implementation. It is the home base for the Permaculture Research Institute. Begun in 2001, the site is off-grid, and has multiple food forest systems, animal systems, kitchen garden and main crop areas, a large network of water-harvesting earthworks for passive hydration of the site, composting toilets, rocket stove powered showers, straw bale natural buildings, etc.
City Farm Perth is an example of community permaculture in an inner suburb of Perth, Western Australia. The farm was constructed on a brownfield site in 1994, and is a focal point for permaculture education, as well as community music and art.
Asia and the Middle East
A consortium of NGOs including Lom Orng and Ockenden is doing a post-flood livelihood and infrastructure regeneration project, in the country's northwest, which includes permaculture principles, and the establishment of a permaculture demonstration farm in Battambang Province which serves as a community farm and education site and includes a native tree nursery and biogas system providing clean cooking fuel and lighting.
The Himalayan Permaculture Centre (HPC) is a grass roots non-government organisation (NGO) set up by trained and motivated farmers from Surkhet district (Mid-Western Nepal) in 2010 to implement sustainable rural development programs in Nepal.
Red de Permacultura Ibérica (Iberic Permaculture Network)
In Portugal there are several Permaculture projects. There's a bottom-up initiative that is mapping most of them called Rede CONVERGIR
There are a number of example permaculture projects in the UK, including:
- Agroforestry Research Trust, managed by Martin Crawford, is a not-for-profit organisation based in Dartington, Devon that runs a 2 acre forest garden and publishes the journal Agroforestry News 
- Chickenshack Housing co-op, a fully mutual housing co-op established in 1995 using permaculture design principles. Based in rural North Wales, the community has 4 dwellings and 6 residents on a 5 acre site. Features include a biomass and solar district heating scheme, a half-acre forest garden and various wildlife conservation and habitat creation strategies. The community is very active in regional sustainability projects such as the Machynlleth Transition Towns initiative. It runs occasional courses in permaculture design and regularly receives visits from interested parties.
- Middlewood Trust, a permaculture-based farm in North Lancashire running courses in permaculture, crafts, forestry and sustainability
- Plan-It Earth Eco Project offers a variety of environmental education programs, courses and events, and eco-holidays at a traditional smallholding near Penzance, Cornwall
- Plants for a Future, a vegan-organic project based at Lostwithiel in Cornwall that is researching and trialing edible and otherwise useful plant crops for sustainable cultivation. Their online database features over 7,000 such species that can be grown within the UK. A collaborative version of the database is in development by the permaculture.info project.
- Prickly Nut Woods, a 10 acre woodland near Haslemere, Surrey that is managed by Ben Law. He uses a 'whole system' permacultural approach, using a wide variety of woodland products and documenting a complex web of relationships. He built a house almost entirely using products from the woodland, which was featured in Channel 4's Grand Designs TV series.
- Ragmans Lane, a 60 acre farm in the Forest of Dean in Gloucestershire.
- The RISC Roof Garden, on top of a development education centre in Reading city centre and inspired by Robert Hart's permaculture forest garden in Shropshire, is an excellent example of urban permaculture design. It is used by schools, educators and designers as an educational resource for sustainable development and is a member of the National Gardens Scheme. The garden is composed of dense plantings of over 180 species of edible and medicinal plants and is fed by rainwater and composted waste from the centre.
- Tir Penrhos Isaf, near Dolgellau, developed by Chris and Lyn Dixon since 1986.
- The Sussex Roots Society, a community permaculture garden initiated by Mischa Nowicki and Integralpermanence at Sussex University, collaborating with the student union as part of the countries first "Eco- University" initiative.
- Eastside Roots- is a (not for profit, worker co-op) community garden centre and hub which evolved from Bristol Permaculture Group. 'Waste' ground owned by First Great Western has been leased and is a garden centre with ongoing education, social projects and outreach into the wider community. The project promotes sustainability and permaculture.
Other projects tend to be more community oriented, particularly in urban areas. These include Naturewise, a north London based group that tends a number of forest gardens and allotments as well as running regular permaculture introductory and design courses; and Organiclea, a workers cooperative that is involved in developing local food-growing and distribution initiatives around the Walthamstow area of east London. The Transition Towns movement initiated in Totnes and Kinsale by Rob Hopkins is underpinned by permaculture design principles in its attempts to visualise sustainable communities beyond peak oil.
- Prospect Rock Permaculture is one of the region's longest established permaculture education and demonstration sites, and Vermont's oldest permaculture design firm. They grow a diversity of nuts, fruit trees, vines, berries, vegetables, medicinal and culinary herbs and teas, produce eggs and honey, and host a variety of workshops, permaculture courses, advanced permaculture design internships, and other educational programs.
- The Northeastern Permaculture Network brings together enthusiasts in the northeastern United States and eastern Canada. The Northeastern Permaculture Convergence has been held every summer in a different location in the northeast. There is a listserv, a wiki, a "ning" social network, a Facebook group, and the 501(c)3 P.I.N.E (Permaculture Institute of the Northeast).
- People's Garden Pittsburgh is building a one acre food forest on an abandoned landslide in the Hill District of Pittsburgh, which is considered a food desert.
- UMass Permaculture is a university permaculture initiative that transforms marginalized landscapes on the campus into diverse, educational, low-maintenance and edible gardens, according to UMass officials. During November, 2010, "about a quarter of a million pounds of organic matter was moved by hand", using all student and community volunteer labor and no fossil fuels on-site. The process took about two weeks to complete. Now, the Franklin Permaculture Garden includes a diverse mixture of "vegetables, fruit trees, berry bushes, culinary herbs and... flowers that attract beneficial insects."
- Burlington Permaculture is an ad-hoc community group based out of Burlington Vermont. BTP unites neighbors to promote urban agriculture and reforestation, enhance neighborhoods, and strengthen the web of community resources as we look beyond sustainability towards a vibrant healthy relationship with our landscape. The group was founded by Michael Blazewicz of Round River Design, Mark Krawczyk of Rivenwood Crafts, and Keith Morris of Prospect Rock Permaculture.
- Green Phoenix Permaculture, offers design courses and workshops, demonstrating forest gardens, natural building, permaculture designs, and a community of many permaculture designers & teachers including AppleSeed Permaculture and Sowing Solutions Permaculture Design & Education.
- The websites FLXpermaculture.Net and the Upstate NY Permaculture Network are email lists and web sites for permaculture practitioners in New York state.
- The Finger Lakes Permaculture Institute offers an annual Permaculture Design Certification course, apprenticeships, and workshops that are often held at area sites designed using permaculture principles. The Finger Lakes Permaculture Institute was founded by Michael Burns, Steve Gabriel, and Karryn Olson Ramanujan in 2005.
- The Farm Ecovillage Training Center, Summertown, Tn provides examples drawn from 4 decades of ecovillage living, including cob, earthbag, round-pole and strawbale buildings, constructed wastewater wetlands, fish, ducks and chickens, organic and biodynamic gardens, orchards, shiitake production, biofuel production, solar photovoltaics, herbal tinctures and plant medicines, humanure and other composting practices, and community conviviality processes.
- Spiral Ridge Permaculture Gardens, Summertown, Tn
- Cedar House Inn/Permaculture Lifestyles Permaculture Demonstration Project, North Georgia
- The Edible Plant Project implements and promotes elements of permaculture through a nonprofit nursery and workshops in Gainesville, FL (home of University of Florida).
- Georgia Permaculture Institute, Central Georgia
- Knoxville Permaculture Guild, Knoxville, TN.
- Northern Virginia Permaculture Guild
- Sweet Aspect Permaculture, the steward of one acre of land outside of Asheville, NC, is experimenting with permaculture principles, design, and implementation. Sweet Aspect focuses on small animal management, including lambs and chickens, gardens, orchards, edible forest management, shitake production, rainwater catchment, greywater systems, natural and green building, fermentation, herbal tinctures and plant medicines, humanure and other composting practices, and alternative fuel and energy harvesting.
- The Urban Permaculture Institute of the Southeast in Walterboro, South Carolina practices permaculture on a 1/2 acre lot in the middle of the city with chickens, fish, bees, food forestry, vermiculture, insect production, greywater systems, passive solar, mushroom production, rainwater catchment, floating hydroponics and partial hydroponic systems.
- Spring Village / New Community Project in Harrisonburg, VA practices and teaches permacture at a small urban site.
Midwestern and Rocky Mountain region
- Permaculture Research Institute for Cold Climate.
- The Round Mountain Institute in the Gunnison valley of Colorado is a nonprofit that is dedicated to sustainable agriculture high in the rocky mountains near the continental divide.
- Central Rocky Mountain Permaculture Institute. http://
- The Urban-Suburban Sustainability Initiative based in Belleville, Illinois is a local grassroots organization in the process of starting up. Its focus will be on permaculture, bioremedification, environmental education and Local Exchange Trading Systems.
- Bloomington Permaculture Guild, Bloomington, Indiana
- High Altitude Permaculture Institute is based in Ward, Colorado, which is west of Boulder.
- Midwest Permaculture delivers up to a dozen PDC Courses per year (in the Midwest and elsewhere) along with many other kinds of permaculture trainings.
- The Center for Sustainable Community asked Midwest Permaculture to do a permaculture design for the 8.7 acres of land that immediately adjoins the local community in Stelle, Illinois.
- Bur Oak Farm in SE Wisconsin, approximately 40 miles north of Milwaukee
- Urban Permaculture Design a city lot with over a hundred perennial edible varieties. Permaculture land acquisition discussion. Urban Classes.
- Sunrise Ranch Intentional Community near Loveland, Colorado. Farm to table internship programs, permaculture design course, farm/garden internships.
The Instituto Mesoamericano de Permacultura (IMAP) was founded in 2000 by a group of Mayan farmers and professionals in San Lucas Toliman, Guatemala. It is a not-for-profit community organization focused on the development of self-sufficient communities through the responsible management of natural resources, using permaculture techniques and ancestral and traditional knowledge. Areas of focus include: the cultural and biological diversity of Mesoamerica; food security and food sovereignty; organic production systems at the community and familial level; and permaculture education and environmental stewardship.
Since 1993, Cuba has transformed its food production using low-input, or organic agriculture and, to some degree, permaculture. Havana produces up to 50% of its food requirements within the city limits, much of it organic and produced by people in their homes, gardens and in municipal spaces The transformation in agriculture originated as a response to a crisis which is known as the Special Period. Starting in 1993 Australian permaculturists traveled to Cuba to educate Cuban gardeners in permaculture practices.
- "Geoff Lawton's Zaytuna Farm Video Tour (Apr/May 2012) - Ten Years of (R)Evolutionary Design Permaculture Research Institute - Permaculture Forums, Courses, Information & News". permaculturenews.org. 2013. http://permaculturenews.org/2012/06/01/zaytuna-farm-video-tour-apr-may-2012-ten-years-of-revolutionary-design/. Retrieved June 17, 2013.
- "Perth City Farm". perthcityfarm.org.au. 2013. http://perthcityfarm.org.au/. Retrieved June 17, 2013.
- "LOM ORNG ORGANISATION: Cambodian War Amputees and Disaster Warning and Prevention". lomorng.org. 2013. http://www.lomorng.org/index.php#home. Retrieved June 17, 2013.
- "Welcome to Ockenden Cambodia". ockendencambodia.org. 2009. http://www.ockendencambodia.org/ockendencambodia.org/Welcome.html. Retrieved 17 June 2013.
- "Permaculture Demonstration Farm with Biogas | Evolution in Motion". evolutioninmotion.org. 2013. http://evolutioninmotion.org/category/permaculture-demonstration-farm-with-biogas/. Retrieved June 17, 2013.
- "Welcome - Himalayan Permaculture". himalayanpermaculture.com. 2013. http://www.himalayanpermaculture.com/. Retrieved June 17, 2013.
- "Red de Permacultura Ibérica / FrontPage". reddepermaculturaiberica.pbworks.com. 2013. http://reddepermaculturaiberica.pbworks.com/w/page/13844757/FrontPage. Retrieved June 17, 2013.
- "Agroforestry research trust fruits nuts seeds plants publications". agroforestry.co.uk. 2013. http://www.agroforestry.co.uk/. Retrieved June 17, 2013.
- "Chickenshack Housing Co-operative Limited". chickenshack.co.uk. 2010. http://www.chickenshack.co.uk/. Retrieved June 17, 2013.
- "Middlewood Trust". middlewood.org.uk. 2013. http://www.middlewood.org.uk/middlewood.html. Retrieved June 17, 2013.
- "Plan-it Earth, Sancreed, Cornwall - Home". plan-itearth.org.uk. 2013. http://www.plan-itearth.org.uk/2009/planitearth/index.php. Retrieved June 17, 2013.
- "Plants For A Future : 7000 Edible, Medicinal & Useful Plants". pfaf.org. 2013. http://www.pfaf.org/user/default.aspx. Retrieved June 17, 2013.
- "A Visit to Ben Law's Woodland House | Permaculture Magazine". permaculture.co.uk. 2013. http://www.permaculture.co.uk/articles/visit-ben-laws-woodland-house. Retrieved June 17, 2013.
- "Home". ragmans.co.uk. 2013. http://www.ragmans.co.uk/home/. Retrieved June 17, 2013.
- "Gardens | www.risc.org.uk". risc.org.uk. 2013. http://www.risc.org.uk/gardens/. Retrieved June 17, 2013.
- Permaculture Design at Tir Penrhos Isaf (Chris and Lyn Dixon) last update 03/03/2008
- The Naturewise Forest Garden
- Organiclea is a small food growing cooperative in the Lea Valley on London's edge, E4.
- Why Transition Culture by Rob Hopkins
- List of Permaculture LAND Centres
- "Prospect Rock Permaculture | Design and Education for Ecological Culture". prospectrockpermaculture.wordpress.com. 2013. http://prospectrockpermaculture.wordpress.com/. Retrieved June 27, 2013.
- "Prospect Rock Permaculture | Design and Education for Ecological Culture". prospectrockpermaculture.wordpress.com. 2013. http://prospectrockpermaculture.wordpress.com/. Retrieved June 17, 2013.
- "Northeastern Permaculture Networ - home". northeasternpermaculture.wikispaces.com. 2013. http://northeasternpermaculture.wikispaces.com/. Retrieved June 17, 2013.
- "northeasternpermaculture - Northeastern Permaculture". lists.riseup.net. 2013. https://lists.riseup.net/www/info/northeasternpermaculture. Retrieved June 27, 2013.
- "Northeastern Permaculture Networ - home". northeasternpermaculture.wikispaces.com. 2013. http://northeasternpermaculture.wikispaces.com/. Retrieved June 27, 2013.
- "Northeastern Permaculture - Designing and Living Ecological Culture". northeastpc.ning.com. 2013. http://northeastpc.ning.com/. Retrieved June 27, 2013.
- "Northeastern Permaculture". facebook.com. 2013. https://www.facebook.com/groups/NorthEastPermaculture/. Retrieved June 27, 2013.
- "P.I.N.E.". thepine.org. 2012. http://www.thepine.org/. Retrieved June 27, 2013.
- "The People's Garden, Pittsburgh - Home". peoplesgardenpittsburgh.com. 2013. http://www.peoplesgardenpittsburgh.com/. Retrieved June 27, 2013.
- "'Permaculture Center for BioRegional Living | Andrew Faust Design Consultation.'". homebiome.com. 2013. http://www.homebiome.com/. Retrieved June 17, 2013.
- "UMass Permaculture | UMass Dining". umassdining.com. 2013. http://www.umassdining.com/sustainability/permaculture. Retrieved June 17, 2013.
- Permaculture garden at UMass gives new meaning to the phrase fresh vegetables The Daily Hampshire Gazzette
- UMass Embraces Permaculture Food Service Director
- "burlingtonpermaculture2". sites.google.com. 2013. https://sites.google.com/site/burlingtonpermaculture2/. Retrieved June 17, 2013.
- "Green Phoenix - Home". green-phoenix.org. 2013. http://green-phoenix.org/. Retrieved June 17, 2013.
- "AppleSeed Permaculture: Edible Landscaping & Regenerative Design". appleseedpermaculture.com. 2013. http://appleseedpermaculture.com/. Retrieved June 17, 2013.
- "Sowing Solutions - Sowing Seeds for Ecological Living". sowingsolutions.net. 2013. http://www.sowingsolutions.net/. Retrieved June 17, 2013.
- "Finger Lakes Permaculture Network | FLXpermaculture.Net". flxpermaculture.net. 2013. http://flxpermaculture.net/. Retrieved June 17, 2013.
- "Upstate NY Permaculture Network". upstatenypermaculture.net. 2013. http://upstatenypermaculture.net/. Retrieved June 17, 2013.
- "Finger Lakes Permaculture Institute". fingerlakespermaculture.org. 2013. http://fingerlakespermaculture.org/. Retrieved June 17, 2013.
- "The Farm Ecovillage Training Center ← Providing trainings and apprenticeships in Ecovillage Design, Research, Implementation & Education". thefarm.org. 2013. http://www.thefarm.org/etc/. Retrieved November 20, 2013.
- "Spiral Ridge Permaculture ← Specializing in Agro-Ecosystems Design, Research, Implementation & Education". spiralridgepermaculture.com. 2013. http://www.spiralridgepermaculture.com/. Retrieved June 17, 2013.
- "Demonstration Site". permaculturelifestyles.com. 2013. http://www.permaculturelifestyles.com/demo.htm. Retrieved June 17, 2013.
- "Edible Plant Project". edibleplantproject.org. 2013. http://edibleplantproject.org/. Retrieved June 17, 2013.
- "Knoxville Permaculture Guild - Building Permanent Culture in Knoxville". knoxvillepermacultureguild.ning.com. 2013. http://knoxvillepermacultureguild.ning.com/. Retrieved June 17, 2013.
- "Northern Virginia Permaculture Guild (Arlington, VA) - Meetup". meetup.com. 2013. http://www.meetup.com/Northern-Virginia-Permaculture-Guild. Retrieved June 17, 2013.
- "New Community Project Blog". https://ncpharrisonburg.wordpress.com/. Retrieved June 4, 2014.
- "Home". crmpi.org. 2013. http://www.crmpi.org/CRMPI/Home.html. Retrieved June 17, 2013.
- "Midwest Permaculture". midwestpermaculture.com. 2013. http://midwestpermaculture.com/. Retrieved June 17, 2013.
- "CSC Home |". cscstelle.org. 2013. http://cscstelle.org/. Retrieved June 17, 2013.
- "The Permaculture Design for CSC in Stelle, IL Midwest Permaculture". midwestpermaculture.com. 2013. http://midwestpermaculture.com/2012/08/permaculture-design-for-csc-in-stelle-il/. Retrieved June 17, 2013.
- "About IMAP | Instituto Mesoamericano de Permacultura [IMAP]". imapermacultura.wordpress.com. 2013. http://imapermacultura.wordpress.com/about-imap/. Retrieved June 17, 2013.
- "The Origin of Permaculture in Cuba | Sustainable Cities Collective". sustainablecitiescollective.com. 2013. http://sustainablecitiescollective.com/polis-blog/15580/origin-permaculture-cuba. Retrieved June 17, 2013.
- Tiller, Adam (1995). "AIDAB/NGO Cooperation Program, Food Gardener Education in Urban Havana, 1995, Final Report from the Field". http://members.optusnet.com.au/~cohousing/cuba/an95rpp1.htm. Retrieved 21 July 2014.
- Tiller, Adam (1996). "Información sobre la dirección del proyecto en Cuba: el Green Team.". http://members.optusnet.com.au/~cohousing/cuba/gt_esp.htm. Retrieved 30 June 2014.
- The Worldwide Permaculture Network - Map and database of permaculture people and projects worldwide.
- The Permaculture Research Institute - Regular article and video reports from permaculture projects worldwide.