List of sovereign states and dependent territories in the Americas
- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on October 20 2015. This is a backup of Wikipedia:List_of_sovereign_states_and_dependent_territories_in_the_Americas. All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/List_of_sovereign_states_and_dependent_territories_in_the_Americas, the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/List_of_sovereign_states_and_dependent_territories_in_the_Americas.
- This article does not need additional references for verification. Please help by adding citations to reliable sources. Unsourced material will not be challenged and removed. (August 2010)
This is an alphabetical list of sovereign states and dependent territories in the Americas. The Americas (also known as Pan-America, America or the New World) are the landmasses of North America and South America, collectively sometimes considered a single continent. The Americas are almost entirely located in the Western Hemisphere, with some of the north-west islands of Alaska entering the Eastern Hemisphere. The majority of islands lying in the Atlantic between the Americas and Afroeurasia, such as Iceland, are not normally associated with the Americas and are therefore excluded from this list.
The 25 territories on this list are not sovereign states. This includes dependent territories of Pan-American countries listed above, or are territories that are either part of or subject to a European country.
- Full member of the Caribbean Community
- Claims territory in Antarctica
- Full member of Mercosur
- Full member of the Andean Community
- Signatory to the North American Free Trade Agreement, source: CIA The World Factbook
- Includes Pacific islands usually not considered part of the Americas
- The Special Municipalities of the Netherlands are fully incorporated parts of the Netherlands.
- Sometimes considered to be part of Oceania.
- Claimed by Argentina
- The Overseas Departments of France are fully incorporated parts of France.
- Claimed by Haiti