Murder of Ashley Ann Olsen
- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on February 8 2016. This is a backup of Wikipedia:Murder_of_Ashley_Ann_Olsen. All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Murder_of_Ashley_Ann_Olsen, the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Murder_of_Ashley_Ann_Olsen.
Olsen was from a wealthy family in Summer Haven, Florida. She moved to Florence in 2014 after the breakup of her marriage to South African diver Grant Jankielsohn, and with the intention of studying art and in order to live near her father, who teaches at an American school in Florence.
Murder and investigation
Olsen, 35, was found dead in her apartment in the Santo Spirito neighborhood of Florence by her boyfriend, Florentine artist Federico Fiorentini, on 9 January 2016. Marks on her neck indicated that she had been strangled to death.
Cheik Tidiane Diaw, a 27-year-old Senegalese national residing in Italy as an illegal immigrant, was arrested for the crime. Witnesses saw the two leave a nightclub in Florence together on 7 January. Security cameras in the street recorded them walking to Olsen's apartment in the early hours of 8 January.
- Pianigiani, Gaia (14 January 2015). "Italy Arrests Suspect in Death of American Woman". New York Times. http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/15/world/europe/ashley-ann-olsen-italy-arrest.html?module=WatchingPortal®ion=c-column-middle-span-region&pgType=Homepage&action=click&mediaId=thumb_square&state=standard&contentPlacement=5&version=internal&contentCollection=www.nytimes.com&contentId=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nytimes.com%2F2016%2F01%2F15%2Fworld%2Feurope%2Fashley-ann-olsen-italy-arrest.html&eventName=Watching-article-click. Retrieved 15 January 2016.
- Vogt, Andrea (10 January 2016). "Italian police search for killer after American socialite found strangled in her Florence apartment". The Daily Telegraph. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/12091643/Italian-police-search-for-killer-after-American-socialite-found-strangled-in-her-Florence-apartment.html. Retrieved 15 January 2016.
- Nadeau, Barbie Natza (13 January 2016). "An ‘Eat, Pray, Love’ Story Ends in Murder". Daily Beast. http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/01/12/an-eat-pray-love-story-ends-in-murder.html. Retrieved 5 February 2016.
- Scamell, Rosie (10 January 2016). "Italian police open murder inquiry into death of American woman". The Guardian. http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jan/10/italian-police-murder-inquiry-ashley-ann-olsen-florence. Retrieved 15 January 2016.
- Piangianini, Gaia (11 January 2016). "Italy: American Woman Found Dead". New York Times. http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/12/world/europe/italy-american-woman-found-dead.html. Retrieved 15 January 2016.