- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on August 9 2016. This is a backup of Wikipedia:Nandana_Lokuwithana. All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Nandana_Lokuwithana, the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Nandana_Lokuwithana.
- Wikipedia editors had multiple issues with this page:
- The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's general notability guideline. But, that doesn't mean someone has to… establish notability by citing reliable secondary sources that are independent of the topic and provide significant coverage of it beyond its mere trivial mention. (July 2016)
14 February 1969|
Anuradhapura, Sri Lanka
|Other names||Nandana Jayadewa Lokuwithana|
|Education||Anuradhapura Central College|
Nandana Jayadeva Lokuwithana is a Sri Lankan businessperson hails from the area of Madawachchiya. He pioneered many businesses in steel fabrication, engineering, civil construction, fashion, industrial laundry, catering, electromechanical services and hospitality industries in the Middle East.
Lokuwithana is the eldest of five boys and had his primary education in a village school in Madawachchiya and later he attended to Anuradhapura Central College, Sri Lanka. Due to the prevailing violence at the time, he to move to Colombo and began to work in textiles.
In 2003 he established the Onyx Group based in Sharjah,UAE and later develop the sub brands of Onyx Industries- a Steel Fabrication and Profiles manufacturing company, Onyx Building Systems-A Engineering Designs and Constructions Company, Onyx Logistic Services- Third party logistic service providing company. Later he was awarded AL ROSTAMANI Pegel (ARP) the construction of Marriott Hotel & Marriott Executive Apartments which is the Extended-stay lodging brand of Marriott International, located in Dubai Healthcare City Phase II,is the first ever five star hotel built and owned by a Sri Lankan living overseas.
In 2009 Ceylon Heavy Industries & Construction Company Limited was acquired by the Onyx group and was named Ceylon Steel Corporation Limited. Re-branding the company into its old roots with a local name was a significant move in the local business arena to signify its Sri Lankan ownership. With in the past 4 years of acquisition The cooperation has showed notable technical advances In 2012 the company announced the launch of Sri Lanka's first GI Pipe Mill based in Oruwela, Athurugirya. In November same year Galvanize plant was commissioned. He also expressed his interest in acquiring Holcim Lanka Ltd. But Onyx Group's, bid of US$ 261 million to acquire Holcim (Lanka) Limited was unsuccessful. LafargeHolcim said in a statement that the enterprise value of sale was US$ 400 million.
Allegations emerged during the bidding process about his strong ties to China, and there is speculation that the Onyx Group may be acting as a proxy for Beijing in a Chinese attempt to gain control in Sri Lanka ports. Further it reports that he is named in panama papers.
- Kangaraarachchi, Ramani. "Nanda Lokuvithana – a truly Sri Lankan Entrepreneur". Daily News (Interview). http://archives.dailynews.lk/2012/12/03/bus26.asp.
- "Dubai-based Onyx Group joins bid to buy Holcim Lanka Ltd.". Business Standard. Colombo. 12 July 2016. http://www.business-standard.com/article/news-ani/dubai-based-onyx-group-joins-bid-to-buy-holcim-lanka-ltd-116071200391_1.html.