The Wishing Tree (2016)
- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on August 4 2016. This is a backup of Wikipedia:The_Wishing_Tree_(2016). All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/The_Wishing_Tree_(2016), the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/The_Wishing_Tree_(2016).
- The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's general notability guideline. But, that doesn't mean someone has to… establish notability by citing reliable secondary sources that are independent of the topic and provide significant coverage of it beyond its mere trivial mention. (August 2016)
The Wishing Tree is a 2016 film produced by Raajaysh Chetwal of Rhombus Films and directed by Mahika Sharma. The film features Shabana Azmi,Template:Failed verification Makarand Deshpande, Shivani Joshi, Bobby Darling, Rajit Kapur, Jaya Bhattacharya and Saurabh Shukla in key roles. The voice over for the film was done by Amitabh Bachchan.
The films story revolves around five children (Sean, Nikita, Guriqbal Singh, Fatima Khanam and Dhanua) in a hill-station. Each child has some problem which he or she is battling. Nikita has a mysterious old friend, a Gypsy woman (Shabana Azmi), who tells her of a magical tale of The Wishing Trees that have existed through thousands of years.
Nikita wins a race at school but her classmates end up humiliating her and calling her a cheat. A dejected Nikita goes in to the forest and starts to narrate her problems to an old twisted tree. Slowly, Nikita sees her problems disappear and she realizes that she has found the Kalpvriksh tree. She shares her discovery with her four friends and they too slowly begin to notice positive changes in their lives. But even as the children spend more and more time with the tree, some rumors of the tree being evil begin to spread in the town which are spread by Pannalal, the contractor / wood-cutter.
In the end, the five children, despite their complex problems and being written off by the world around them manage to actually save 'The Wishing Tree' (Kalpvriksh) from being cut by vested interests. The film has an underlying message to protect trees and the environment.
- Shabana Azmi ... The Gypsy Woman
- Jaya Bhattacharya
- Makarand Deshpande
- Saurabh Shukla
- Rajit Kapur
- Vrajesh Hirjee
- Shivani Joshi ... Fatima Khanam
- Harshpreet Kaur ... Nikita
- Aditya Manghani ... Guriqbal Singh
- Mahabanoo Mody-Kotwal
- Navneet Nishan
- Shernaz Patel
- Vineet Sharma ... Corrupt forest officer
- Mark Shaw ... Sean
- Manmeet Singh ... Milkha singh
- Aabhas Yadav ... Dhanua
- Rajendranath Zutshi
After writing the script, it took Mahika Sharma years to land a producer for the film. Finally, Raajaysh Chetwal agreed to produce the film under his banner Rhombus Films. Landing the actors for the movie was not very difficult and almost all the actors agreed to be part of the project immediately. Amitabh Bachchan agreed to do the voice over after seeing a part of the film.
The film’s trailer was screened at the CMS Vatavaran, Environment and Wildlife Film Festival at Indira Gandhi National Centre for the Arts in New Delhi 
- "Shabana Azmi’s interview with Times of India". http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/hindi/bollywood/news-interviews/Im-proud-of-Farhan-and-Zoya-Shabana-Azmi/articleshow/14947052.cms. Template:Failed verification
- "The Hindu - Paving a green path for children". http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/Delhi/paving-a-green-path-for-children/article5648257.ece.
- "About the movie". http://www.mandy.com/1/film3.cfm?id=17941.