United States Student Association
- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on March 28 2015. This is a backup of Wikipedia:United_States_Student_Association. All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/United_States_Student_Association, the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/United_States_Student_Association.
- Wikipedia editors had multiple issues with this page:
- The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's general notability guideline. But, that doesn't mean someone has to… establish notability by citing reliable secondary sources that are independent of the topic and provide significant coverage of it beyond its mere trivial mention. (March 2008)
The United States Student Association (USSA) was founded in 1947 and bills itself as the oldest, largest, and most inclusive student association in the United States.
Its political activism was cited in a 1995 lawsuit concerning the University of Wisconsin's mandatory student fee. In University of Wisconsin v. Southworth 529 U.S. 217 (1999), the U.S. Supreme Court upheld the university's right to subsidize political speech with student fees.
Regions, affiliations, and caucuses
- Golden Pacific (GPIT)
- Pacific Northwest (Pac Northwest)
- Rocky Mountains
- Great Lakes
- Great Plains
- New England
- Empire Garden
Affiliations and coalitions:
- National People of Color Student Coalition
- National Women's Student Coalition
- National Queer Student Coalition- This coalition is a space for queer students to meet and talk about different issues affecting queer students, it is a closed space so you must identify as queer in order to attend this space.
At its annual National Student Congress, the USSA elects two officers to manage the organization full-time.
- President (elected by general membership) - Maxwell Love (2014-2015)
- Vice-President (elected by general membership)- Alexandra Flores-Quilty (2014-2015)
Additionally, the organization hires both a D.C. and Field Staff. Currently staff includes
- Legislative Director- Justin Habler
- National Field Director- John Aspray
- Student Labor Action Project Coordinator- Beth Huang
- National Training Director: Athena Matyear
- Empire Garden Field Associate: Akin Olla
- Oregon Student Association
- University of California Students Association
- Jobs with Justice
- Student/Farmworker Alliance