Who Shot Mercedes?
- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on March 7 2020. This is a backup of Wikipedia:Who_Shot_Mercedes?. All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Who_Shot_Mercedes?, the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Who_Shot_Mercedes?.
Original short description: "Storyline from the Channel 4 soap opera "Hollyoaks""
Template:EngvarB "Who Shot Mercedes?" is a whodunit storyline in British Channel 4 soap opera, Hollyoaks. The storyline involves Mercedes McQueen, played by Jennifer Metcalfe, being the victim of a shooting, committed by a mystery assailant.
Hollyoaks confirmed via social media on 20 September 2019 and that the storyline would air in the coming weeks. By 10 October 2019, Hollyoaks confirmed the first three suspects for the storyline; Sylver McQueen (David Tag), James Nightingale (Gregory Finnegan) and Liam Donovan (Jude Monk McGowan). On 15 October, another four suspects were revealed; Diane Hutchinson (Alex Fletcher), Joel Dexter (Rory Douglas-Speed), Grace Black (Tamara Wall) and Breda McQueen (Moya Brady), bringing the line up to seven suspects. Goldie McQueen (Chelsee Healey) is included in the official photo for the storyline, but is not a suspect. Goldie will be taking on the role of investigator to figure out who shot Mercedes.
A week before the storyline aired, Channel 4 released a trailer teasing the events to unfold in the storyline. The trailer also clarifies each suspect's motive to shoot Mercedes. The storyline officially launched with Mercedes being gunned down on the Channel 4 episode broadcast on 6 November 2019.
The mystery comes to a conclusion on the Channel 4 episode broadcast on 18 December 2019 when it is revealed that both Grace and James are the culprits.
Suspects and motives
There are seven official suspects in Mercedes' shooting.
- Sylver McQueen, played by David Tag. Sylver has two separate motives to kill Mercedes. His first motive was that he found out that she has been cheating on him with Liam. His second motive is that he found Mercedes had terminated her pregnancy, whilst not knowing if Sylver or Liam fathered the baby.
- James Nightingale, played by Gregory Finnegan. James discovers that Mercedes was responsible for Grace's hit-and-run which Mercedes and Liam had framed James' boyfriend, Harry, for. Harry was later murdered by serial killer Breda, but James believes that Mercedes killed him after he found out that she had committed the hit-and-run.
- Liam Donovan, played by Jude Monk McGowan. Mercedes has been having an intense affair with Liam since earlier in the year, and he had also been regularly supplying cocaine to her. Mercedes callously dumped Liam after promising to run away with him. Liam also found out that Mercedes had gotten pregnant and hade a termination, because she did not know whether Liam or her husband Sylver fathered the baby.
- Grace Black, played by Tamara Wall. Grace found out that it was Mercedes that ran her over and left her in a wheelchair, paralysed for the waist down.
- Breda McQueen, played by Moya Brady. Breda is Sylver and Goldie's mother. Breda has no official motive to shoot Mercedes however she is considered a suspect. Breda sees Mercedes as a "bad mum" and has tried to kill her several times, mostly because of her neglectful behaviour towards her nephew, Max, and her cocaine addiction.
- Joel Dexter, played by Rory Douglas-Speed. Joel has two main motives. The first motive is that he found Harry's mobile phone which had the recording of Mercedes confessing to Grace's hit-and-run. Joel was then beaten up by Liam after Mercedes ordered him to retrieve the phone from him. Whilst recovering from his injuries in hospital, Mercedes threatens to hurt Joel's girlfriend and Mercedes' second cousin, Goldie, if he tells anyone about what she has done. His second motive is that Mercedes revealed to the whole village that he knew about the hit-and-run and that he shared a close moment with his former girlfriend, Cleo, which he did not disclose to Goldie.
- Diane Hutchinson, played by Alex Fletcher. Diane is motivated after finding out Mercedes had framed Harry, her stepson, for the hit-and-run. Diane is also coping with the disappreance of her husband, Tony. All of this may have caused Diane to lash out and shoot Mercedes.
Events leading up to the shooting
In May 2019, Mercedes McQueen (Jennifer Metcalfe) and Liam Donovan (Jude Monk McGowan) steal Harry Thompson's (Parry Glasspool) car to take for a joyride. Their night of fun turned into tragedy when, while being distracted by cocaine Liam was shoving in her face, Mercedes runs over Liam's half-sister Grace Black (Tamara Wall). Liam convinces Mercedes to flee the scene. Grace ends up severely injured and paralysed from the waist down. Mercedes wants to confess to the police, but Liam convinces her to let Harry take the fall. Mercedes feels guilty at first, but not for long. After problems with her husband, Sylver McQueen (David Tag), Mercedes starts an affair with Liam.
In July, Nicole Owen (Ciara Janson) returns to the village with her and Mercedes' nephew, Max Owen (Gabriel Lawrence), to celebrate his birthday. Mercedes, Sylver, Mercedes' grandmother Nana McQueen (Diane Langton) and Sylver's adoptive mother Breda McQueen (Moya Brady) decide to throw Max a party. After Max insults Mercedes claiming she will never be mother figure to him, Mercedes takes cocaine and ruins Max's party. This once again strains her and Sylver's marriage. Harry finds out that Mercedes committed the hit-and-run and tells her he's going to the police, but she threatens to kill him if he does. Harrry secretly records Mercedes' confession on his phone. Harry attempts to go on the run, but is stabbed to death by serial killer Breda in her vendetta against "bad dads", believing he is abandoning his newborn son, Isaac.
In October, Breda loses Harry's phone and it is found by Joel Dexter (Rory Douglas-Speed). Joel listens to the recording and realises that Mercedes hit Grace and believes it was Mercedes who killed Harry. Joel tells Mercedes she has twenty-four hours to be with her family before he takes Harry's phone to the police. Mercedes orders Liam to retrieve the phone from Joel. Liam agrees to do it, but only if Mercedes promises to run away with him, which she does. Liam beats up Joel and steals the phone. Joel is found unconscious and bleeding by Tom Cunningham (Ellis Hollins) and is rushed to hospital. Once Joel regains consciousness, Mercedes threatens to hurt Goldie McQueen (Chelsee Healey), his girlfriend, if he tells anyone about the hit-and-run. Joel agrees to keep his mouth shut. Liam tells Mercedes Harry's mobile has been disposed of and they can now run away together. Mercedes tells Liam she never intended to run away with him and was only using him to dispose of the evidence. It is then revealed that Liam still has the mobile, which means Mercedes' confession can still be revealed.
The day of the shooting
Harry's funeral is held, but not many people attend due to the belief that Harry ran over Grace. Grace, who has recovered from her paralysis, believes that Liam ran her over after she was tipped off by Joel and attempts to get a confession from him. Liam confesses his role and tells Grace it was Mercedes who was driving. Liam hands Grace Harry's phone which has a recording where Mercedes not only admits to the hit-and-run, but also to her affair with Liam and she also threatens to kill Harry if he goes to the police. Grace arrives at Harry's wake at The Dog in the Pond public house and plays the recording for all to hear.
Now everybody believes that not only did Mercedes hit Grace with her car, but she is also an adulteress and a murderer. Mercedes denies the affair and the murder, but admits to the hit-and-run. Diane calls the police to report Mercedes. James Nightingale (Gregory Finnegan) declares he wants Mercedes dead for what she has done. Sylver asks Mercedes if she slept with Liam and Mercedes swears on her son Bobby's (Jayden Fox) life that she did not. Sylver agrees to go on the run with Mercedes. Goldie wants Breda to confess to murdering Harry, but she refuses. Grace and Liam's brother Jesse Donovan (Luke Jerdy) demands answers from Liam, who confesses he is addicted Mercedes. With the police looking for her, Mercedes hides in her caravan. Breda and Goldie try to convince Sylver not to run away with Mercedes, but they are unsuccessful.
Sylver and Mercedes are about to leave when Brooke Hathaway (Talia Grant) accidentally lets it slip to Sylver that Mercedes had an abortion. Sylver asks Mercedes why she would have an abortion, but then it hits him that it had to be because she slept with Liam and did not know the baby's paternity. Sylver tells Mercedes they are over. James is determined to bring Mercedes down; James' mother, Marnie Nightingale (Lysette Anthony), his son Romeo Quinn (Owen Warner) and their sister Juliet Quinn (Niamh Blackshaw) try to calm him down, but James has his mind made up. Mercedes turns to Nana for forgiveness, but she refuses and disowns her. Nana gives a toast to Harry and says all drinks are free and Grace declares they are going to bleed Mercedes dry. Upon hearing that, Mercedes decides to let everybody in the pub have it. Mercedes taunts James saying she killed Harry and tells him Harry only wanted him for his money. Grace gives Mercedes the keys to The Loft nightclub and tell her to have the cocaine that is locked in the safe. Mercedes reveals Joel knew about the hit-and-run already and that he shared an emotional goodbye with his ex-girlfriend, Cleo McQueen (Nadine Rose Mulkerrin), before she left town, which he did not disclose to Goldie. She taunts Diane Hutchinson (Alex Fletcher) about her not caring about Harry and constantly letting sexual predators into her home. After Harry's grandfather, Edward Hutchinson (Joe McGann), puts an end to her rant, Mercedes tells everybody that she would rather be dead then be in their company and strolls out of the pub. Mercedes has words with Liam and admits to having an abortion, which leaves him devastated.
Sylver is comforted by Grace, who kisses him. Marnie spikes James' wine with pills so he cannot do anything to Mercedes. Diane tells Edward of her anger towards Mercedes. Grace arrives home to find a heartbroken Liam and tells him they need to take care of Mercedes. Mercedes goes to The Loft and empties the safe containing money, a bag of cocaine, and Liam's gun. As Mercedes dances on the dancefloor, an unknown assailant walks in, picks up the gun, and shots Mercedes.
The day after the shooting
The next day, Mercedes is lying on the floor of the Loft with a gunshot wound whilst the police are still looking for her. James tells Marnie he knows she drugged him (though he was not actually seen drinking the drugged wine). The McQueens are worried about Mercedes and Goldie declares that they need to put on a united front. Bobby is desperate to see his mother. Goldie and Nana finds a wounded Mercedes and she is taken by ambulance to hospital, while all the suspects in her attempted murder look on. Mercedes' gunshot wound is infected with sepsis and is put into an induced coma. DS Cohen (Ariana Fraval) questions Liam as to why the CCTV footage from the Loft has been wiped, but he does not have an answer. Jesse questions Grace, but she sarcastically dismisses his questions. Diane seems shaken when Edward tells her that Mercedes could die. Marnie tells James he should be glad she drugged him or he could have shot Mercedes. James tells Marnie that if Mercedes pulls through he will find another way to make her pay. Liam wants to see Mercedes, but Grace tells him it is a bad idea since the police see them as suspects. Liam questions Grace's whereabouts the previous night. Sylver confesses to an unconscious Mercedes that he slept with Grace the previous night and Grace confesses the same to Liam, which gives them both an alibi. Grace asks Liam about his alibi, but he gives none. In a flashback, Liam is seen burning his blood-stained clothes.
Events following the shooting
Grace sleeps with Sylver again. Grace finds a gun, which was planted by Liam, under Sylver's bed just as the police come knocking at the door. Grace hides the gun in her underwear whilst the police search the Dog after a tip-off from Liam. When Sylver points the finger at Liam, DS Cohen puts a warrant out for Liam's arrest. Grace tells Liam to dispose of the gun. As Liam is getting into his car, DS Cohen and her police team arrest him for Mercedes' attempted murder and possession of an illegal firearm. Grace gets James to represent Liam. DS Cohen tells Liam his gun is the gun that shot Mercedes. When DS Cohen says Liam will be charged with attempted murder, James claims that DS Yates (Dean Smith), a dodgy ex-police officer, will say the police have a vendetta against Liam. It works and Liam walks free. Mercedes has a flashback to the night of the shooting, revealing she regained consciousness after being shot and Liam was standing over her. Diane asks Grace to keep secret what she saw on the night of the shooting.
Whilst talking to Breda about his affair with Grace, Mercedes suddenly wakes from her coma and screams "I KNOW WHO SHOT ME" before having a heart attack. After being questioned by the police, Mercedes tells the police it was Sylver that shot her, to get revenge on him for sleeping with Grace, whilst having flashbacks to her shooter standing over her but not revealing her identity. Sylver is arrested and charged with her attempted murder after kicking off when he is questioned. Breda visits him in prison and asks if really did do it. He denies it and kicks off again.
Diane's ruled out after The Hutch's CCTV shows her with Edward at 22:32 which is the exact time Mercedes was shot, a flashback to Grace finding out about Diane & Edward. The following day, Mercedes has flashbacks to Liam, Sylver and James holding the gun that fired the shot to Mercedes.
- Lindsey, Duncan (20 September 2019). "Hollyoaks spoilers: Who shot Mercedes McQueen in violent new storyline?". Metro. https://metro.co.uk/2019/09/20/hollyoaks-spoilers-shot-mercedes-mcqueen-violent-new-storyline-10774991/. Retrieved 29 October 2019.
- Harp, Justin (10 October 2019). "Hollyoaks star confirms third official suspect for Who Shot Mercedes mystery". DigitalSpy. https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/hollyoaks/a29431266/hollyoaks-mercedes-shooting-suspect-liam-donovan-/. Retrieved 29 October 2019.
- "Hollyoaks: Who Shot Mercedes? Goldie". Channel 4. 28 October 2019. https://www.channel4.com/press/news/hollyoaks-who-shot-mercedes-goldie-curious-cousin. Retrieved 29 October 2019.
- "Hollyoaks reveals James and Grace both shot Mercedes – cast react to shock twist". https://www.radiotimes.com/news/soaps/hollyoaks/2019-12-17/hollyoaks-james-grace-shot-mercedes/.
- "Hollyoaks: Who Shot Mercedes? Sylver". Channel 4. 28 October 2019. https://www.channel4.com/press/news/hollyoaks-who-shot-mercedes-sylver-husband/. Retrieved 29 October 2019.
- "Hollyoaks: Who Shot Mercedes? James". Channel 4. 28 October 2019. https://www.channel4.com/press/news/hollyoaks-who-shot-mercedes-james-vengeful-lawyer. Retrieved 29 October 2019.
- "Hollyoaks: Who Shot Mercedes? Liam". Channel 4. 28 October 2019. https://www.channel4.com/press/news/hollyoaks-who-shot-mercedes-liam-lover. Retrieved 29 October 2019.
- "Hollyoaks: Who Shot Mercedes? Grace". Channel 4. 28 October 2019. https://www.channel4.com/press/news/hollyoaks-who-shot-mercedes-grace-frenemy. Retrieved 29 October 2019.
- "Hollyoaks: Who Shot Mercedes? Breda". Channel 4. 28 October 2019. https://www.channel4.com/press/news/hollyoaks-who-shot-mercedes-breda-serial-killer-mother-in-law. Retrieved 29 October 2019.
- "Hollyoaks: Who Shot Mercedes? Joel". Channel 4. 28 October 2019. https://www.channel4.com/press/news/hollyoaks-who-shot-mercedes-joel-secret-keeper. Retrieved 29 October 2019.
- "Hollyoaks: Who Shot Mercedes? Diane". Channel 4. 28 October 2019. https://www.channel4.com/press/news/hollyoaks-who-shot-mercedes-diane-betrayed-friend. Retrieved 29 October 2019.