2017 Bronx apartment fire

From Deletionpedia.org: a home for articles deleted from Wikipedia
Revision as of 05:08, 14 April 2019 by Robyt (talk | contribs) (inclusion power)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search
This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on April 13 2019. This is a backup of Wikipedia:2017_Bronx_apartment_fire. All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/2017_Bronx_apartment_fire, the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/2017_Bronx_apartment_fire. Purge

Template:Use mdy dates Template:Infobox event Template:OSM Location map

On December 28, 2017, a five-alarm fire broke out in a five-story apartment building in the Belmont neighborhood of the Bronx, New York City. It killed twelve people and injured six, four of them critically. Three children were among the dead.[1] Excluding the September 11 attacks, the fire was the deadliest in the city since the 1990 Happy Land fire, which killed 87 people, also in the Bronx.[2] In 2007, a similar incident at another home in the Bronx killed 10 people, including 9 children, after a space heater caught fire.[3]


The fire started at about 6:51Template:Nbspp.m. EST on the building's ground floor and was extinguished just before 10Template:Nbspp.m. EST.[4] It spread quickly through the 25-unit apartment building, which was built in 1916 and had not been fireproofed.[4][3] Heavy winds contributed to the growth of the fire, and also brought the wind chill that night to below zero, with temperatures already in the teens.[4] The fire climbed upwards through the building's stairwell, blocking attempts by some residents to evacuate, though many others descended to street level through the building's exterior fire escape.[4] The inferno was under control after about three hours, with over 160 firefighters responding to the emergency.[4]

The city's fire commissioner Daniel Nigro later stated that the fire had been started by a three-year-old who had been playing with a gas kitchen stove while unsupervised.[5][3] As the boy and his mother were fleeing their basement apartment, they left their door open, allowing the fire to spread up the stairwell to other units in the building.[4] The design of the building did not appear to be related to the spread of the fire. However, the building reportedly also had six unresolved violations of fire regulations, including a broken smoke detector on the ground floor.[3]


Template:Disaster-stub Template:NewYorkCity-stub