- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on November 30 2019. This is a backup of Wikipedia:Augur_(software). All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Augur_(software), the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Augur_(software).
Template:Infobox Software Augur is a decentralized prediction market platform built on the Ethereum blockchain and the first decentralized application running on Ethereum to make headlines. Augur is being developed by Forecast Foundation that was founded in 2014 by Jack Peterson and Joey Krug. Forecast foundation is being adviced by Intrade founder Ron Bernstein and Ethereum founder Vitalik Buterin. After a crowdfunding in August 2015, the project launched in July 2018.
Augur allows a user to create a prediction market. Augur uses crypto tokens called Reputation (REP) to incentivize reporters on its network to back their reports with money (in the form of tokens). The reputation token holders are entitled to a percentage of the trading fees generated on the platform. Anyone can buy these tokens, which can be hard for the government to control because they operate similarly to bitcoin and can be owned anonymously.
Augur's user numbers dropped off sharply after launch in 2018: from 265 daily users in early July, to 37 on 8 August.
- "Ethereum-powered Augur brings its beta to Microsoft Azure's blockchain cloud" (in en-US). 2016-03-15. https://www.ibtimes.co.uk/ethereum-powered-augur-brings-its-beta-microsoft-azures-blockchain-cloud-1549630.
- Leising, Matthew (July 26, 2018). "As Crypto Meets Prediction Markets, Regulators Take Notice". Bloomberg. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-07-26/as-crypto-meets-prediction-markets-u-s-regulators-take-notice.
- Lott, Maxim (2015-08-20). "New tech promises government-proof prediction markets" (in en-US). Fox News. https://www.foxnews.com/tech/new-tech-promises-government-proof-prediction-markets.
- Shen, Lucinda (2018-07-09). "Ethereum-Based Blockchain Betting Platform Augur Just Launched. Here's Why It's Not Married to Ether". http://fortune.com/2018/07/09/augur-coin-crypto-rep-vitalik-buterin/.
- Orcutt, Mike (August 2, 2018). "This new blockchain-based betting platform could cause Napster-size legal headaches" (in en). MIT Technology Review. https://www.technologyreview.com/s/611757/this-new-ethereum-based-assassination-market-platform-could-cause-napster-size-legal/.
- "Blockchains could breathe new life into prediction markets" (in en). The Economist. 9 August 2018. https://www.economist.com/finance-and-economics/2018/08/09/blockchains-could-breathe-new-life-into-prediction-markets.