- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on April 10 2014. This is a backup of Wikipedia:Ethereum. All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Ethereum, the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Ethereum.
Ethereum is a crypto platform which includes the ether cryptocurrency. Using a Turing-complete programming language the platform can be used to implement such things as digital contracts, a decentralized DNS, and a decentralized currency exchanges. Is is considered by many to be a second generation cryptocurency, where Bitcoin is first-generation. The currency was initially described by Vitalik Buterin and others in late 2013 and early 2014, and will be released in fall 2014.
The currency has received attention in Wired, the Globe and Mail, and Silicon Angle. It has been criticised by Daniel Kraswiz for being yet another alt-coin, to which Buterin has responded that many new businesses do not become massively successful and alternative cryptocurrencies should be no different. 
- Schneider, Nathan. "Code your own utopia: Meet Ethereum, Bitcoin's most ambitious successor". Al Jazeera. http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2014/4/7/code-your-own-utopiameetethereumbitcoinasmostambitioussuccessor.html. Retrieved 6 April 2014.
- Buterin, Vitalik. "Ethereum: A Next-Generation Cryptocurrency and Decentralized Application Platform". The Bitcoin Magazine. http://bitcoinmagazine.com/9671/ethereum-next-generation-cryptocurrency-decentralized-application-platform/. Retrieved 9 April 2014.
- Geek's Guide to the Galaxy. "A Futurist on Why Lawyers Will Start Becoming Obsolete This Year". Wired. http://www.wired.com/2014/03/geeks-guide-karl-schroeder/. Retrieved 6 April 2014.
- Finley, Kurt. "Out in the Open: Teenage Hacker Transforms Web Into One Giant Bitcoin Network". Wired. http://www.wired.com/2014/01/ethereum/. Retrieved 6 April 2014.
- Gray, Jeff. "Bitcoin believers: Why digital currency backers are keeping the faith". http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/economy/currencies/bitcoin-believers-why-digital-currency-backers-are-keeping-the-faith/article17840246/?page=all. Retrieved 6 April 2014.
- Cox, Ryan. "Can Ethereum kill Bitcoin with self-executing contracts?". SiliconANGLE. http://siliconangle.com/blog/2014/02/12/can-ethereum-kill-bitcoin-with-self-executing-contracts/. Retrieved 6 April 2014.
- Krawisz, Daniel. "The Problem with Altcoins". The Mises Circle. http://themisescircle.org/blog/2013/08/22/the-problem-with-altcoins/. Retrieved 9 April 2014.
- Kraswiz, Daniel. "The Coming Demise of the Altcoins (And What You Can Do to Hasten It)". The Mises Circle. http://themisescircle.org/blog/2014/03/14/the-coming-demise-of-the-altcoins/. Retrieved 9 April 2014.
- Buterin, Vitalik. "In Defense of Alternative Cryptocurrencies". The Bitcoin Magazine. http://bitcoinmagazine.com/6926/in-defense-of-alternative-cryptocurrencies/. Retrieved 9 April 2014.
- Buterin, Vitalik. "The Altcoin Debate Continues". The Bitcoin Magazine. http://ethereum.org/. Retrieved 9 April 2014.