- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on January 17 2020. This is a backup of Wikipedia:Frances_Heussenstamm. All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Frances_Heussenstamm, the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Frances_Heussenstamm.
France Kovacs Heussenstamm PhD (November 6, 1928 – March 6, 2019) was an American artist and psychologist. She was a professor of art and education at Columbia University, an associate professor at California State University, Los Angeles, and instructor at Sierra High School, Whittier, California. In sociology research, her experiment entitled, Bumper Stickers and the Cops, is widely referenced, as its findings continue to remain of controversy.
Life and education
Heussenstamm was born in Cleveland to Fred Kovacs and Edna Jacqueline Reiter. She has a younger sister, Marcia Kovacs. She earned her Bachelor's at Whittier College in 1957, followed by her Master of Arts at Whittier College in 1960. She achieved a Doctor of Philosophy, from University of Southern California in 1968.
Later in life, she struggled with brain injury from a car accident. At the age of 78, she continued to educate and lecture aboard more than 30 international cruises. She also completed twenty two large canvas paintings series entitled, The Circle.
Career and contributions
In 1969, Heussenstamm conducted an experiment, Bumper Stickers and the Cops. The experiment concluded that police officers give citations often with their own interests, as students with perfectly good driving records began receiving tickets because of newly placed Black Panther bumper stickers.
- Heussenstamm, Frances (1993) Blame It on Freud: A Guide to the Language of Psychology
- Heussenstamm, Frances (2013) Blurts! Talk about Brain Injury
- Heussenstamm, Frances (2018) Cruising Granny
- "Blurts about brain injury". https://www.amazon.com/Blurts-Talk-about-Brain-Injury/dp/098889470X.
- "Cruising Granny". https://www.amazon.es/Cruising-Granny-Frances-Heussenstamm-Ph-D/dp/0988894718.
- "The Circle". http://www.paintology.org/paint_cycle.htm.
- "Obituary". https://www.lagunabeachindy.com/obituaries-22/.
- Heussenstamm, F. K. (1971-02-01). "Bumper stickers and the cops" (in en). Trans-action 8 (4): 32–33. Template:Citation error. ISSN 1936-4725. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02804118.
- "Human Behavior Experiments Black Panthers and the Police". https://www.trivia-library.com/b/human-behavior-experiments-black-panthers-and-the-police.htm.
- "Module 1: Foundations of Sociology Search for: Reading: Experiments". https://courses.lumenlearning.com/alamo-sociology/chapter/experiments/.