Jim Thompson Foundation
- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on March 31 2018. This is a backup of Wikipedia:Jim_Thompson_Foundation. All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Jim_Thompson_Foundation, the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Jim_Thompson_Foundation.
The Jim Thompson Foundation is a foundation established in 2007 by James Thompson with the intent of supporting 501(c)(3) non-profit organizations in areas such as children and family services, aviation, education, free speech and animal care. The foundation seeks to assist smaller, low-profile organizations, as these groups typically have the ability to implement more creative outreach initiatives. These also are charities which do not already receive contributions from larger philanthropic foundations. The philosophy of the Jim Thompson Foundation supports the notion that contributions make a direct and immediate impact in the lives of those they support.
The Jim Thompson Foundation supports charities in the areas of children and family services, education, and animal services. These organizations include, Baylor Foundation, Communities Against Violence, Dallas CASA, Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, March of Dimes, Muscular Dystrophy Association, North Texas Food Bank, Phoenix House, The Smile Train, The Wilkinson Center, the Dallas Rotary Club Dream Team Mentoring and Scholarship Program, the Japanese Language Advancement School of Dallas, the Renaissance Youth Center, the Grace Flight of America, the SPCA of Texas and the Texas ESP Rescue.
Financial executive, aviation enthusiast and noted philanthropist, Jim Thompson lives and works in Dallas, Texas. He joined ORIX USA in 1991, and later became the chairman and CEO of ORIX Capital Markets in 1997. He was named president and CEO of ORIX USA in 2004. Under Thompson's leadership in 2009, ORIX USA formed a Texas-based 501(c)(3) non-profit, the ORIX Foundation, with a mission of supporting the needs of children and families in communities where ORIX employees live and work. Charitable giving by the Jim Thompson Foundation is often done in conjunction with ORIX Foundation, where Thompson currently serves as the Founding Director. Thompson also serves as president of the Blue Sky Educational Foundation. Based in Oshkosh, Wisconsin., the Blue Sky foundation gives youths experiences in aviation as a way both to promote aerospace leadership and to inspire them to consider careers in science, technology, engineering and math fields. In addition to his work with the Jim Thompson Foundation, ORIX Foundation and the Blue Sky Educational Foundation, Mr. Thompson serves on the boards of Angel Flight South Central, the AOPA Board of Visitors and Dallas CASA, and has previously served on the boards of the World Craniofacial Foundation and the Family Place. 
During the 2009 Experimental Aircraft Association's (EAA) dinner honoring Harrison Ford, the Jim Thompson Foundation announced the pledge of a scholarship fund in the actors name, which aimed to support young aspiring pilots. The endowment amount matched other contributions up to $100,000, which created a scholarship fund with the potential of equaling up to $200,000. The Thompson's have been members and avid supporters of the EAA for many years.
In 2010, The Jim Thompson Foundation gave $1 million to create a diagnostic liver laboratory and a chair in hepatology at Baylor University Medical Center. The lab, which opened in 2011 provides testing equipment, guides treatments and allows enhanced research opportunities.
- "About Us". http://jthompsonfoundation.org. Retrieved 17 November 2017.
- "Jim Thompson Foundation". jthompsonfoundation.org. http://jthompsonfoundation.org. Retrieved 2014-02-18.
- "About Us - Jim Thompson Foundation". jthompsonfoundation.org. http://jthompsonfoundation.org. Retrieved 2014-02-18.
- "The Dallas Morning News | Options". Dallasnews.com. http://www.dallasnews.com/business/columnists/cheryl-hall/20100424-You-may-not-have-heard-of-5923.ece. Retrieved 2014-02-18.
- "About Us". ORIX Foundation. http://orixfoundation.org/about-us/. Retrieved 2014-02-18.
- "About Us | Blue Sky Education". Blueskyfoundation.org. http://blueskyfoundation.org/about-us/. Retrieved 2014-02-18.
- "Founders | Blue Sky Education". Blueskyfoundation.org. http://blueskyfoundation.org/about-us/founders/. Retrieved 2014-02-18.
- "Harrison Ford Eaa Scholarship". Blacktiemagazine.com. 2009-10-08. http://blacktiemagazine.com/society_2009_october/Harrison_Ford_EAA_Scholarship.htm. Retrieved 2014-02-18.
- "EAA Young Eagles - Scholarships". Youngeagles.org. http://www.youngeagles.org/programs/scholarships/scholarships.asp. Retrieved 2014-02-18.
- "The Dallas Morning News | Options". Dallasnews.com. http://www.dallasnews.com/business/columnists/robert-miller/20100805-Jim-and-Angela-Thompson-Foundation-gives-8874.ece. Retrieved 2014-02-18.