Southampton F.C. 0–9 Leicester City F.C.
- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on October 26 2019. This is a backup of Wikipedia:Southampton_F.C._0–9_Leicester_City_F.C.. All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Southampton_F.C._0–9_Leicester_City_F.C., the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Southampton_F.C._0–9_Leicester_City_F.C..
Template:Infobox football match The 2019–20 season match between Southampton and Leicester City at St Mary's Stadium took place on 25 October 2019. Leicester won the match 9–0, equalizing the record of the largest win in the history of the Premier League with Manchester United's 9–0 win to Ipswich Town in 1995. The result also set the new record of the largest away win in the Premier League, surpassing Manchester United's 8–1 victory at Nottingham Forest in 1999, as well as the largest away win in the history of English top-flight match. The match was shown live on Sky Sports.
Ben Chilwell opened the scoring in the 10th minute. Ryan Bertrand was dismissed for a studs-up challenge in the build-up, confirmed by VAR, two minutes later. Leicester were 3-0 up by the 19th minute, thanks to Youri Tielemans and Ayoze Pérez. Pérez added the fourth on the 39th minute, with Jamie Vardy scoring on the stroke of half-time to send Leicester into the break ahead 5-0. Pérez completed his hat-trick on the 57th minute, with Vardy adding his second and Leicester's seventh a minute later. James Maddison scored a 85th minute free-kick before Jamie Vardy completed his own hat-trick with a penalty four minutes into stoppage time.
Leicester moved up to second in the table, while Southampton dropped to 18th.
As the match took place two days before the one-year anniversary of 2018 Leicester helicopter crash, several players dedicated the win to the late owner Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha who died in that incident.
- "Southampton 0-9 Leicester City". Premier League. 25 October 2019. https://www.premierleague.com/match/46702. Retrieved 26 October 2019. .
- Sutcliffe, Steve (25 October 2019). "Southampton 0-9 Leicester City: Foxes equal record for biggest Premier League win". BBC Sport. https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/50092694. Retrieved 26 October 2019.
- Marsh, Charlotte (25 October 2019). "Southampton 0-9 Leicester: Ayoze Perez and Jamie Vardy net hat-tricks in record-breaking win". Sky Sports. https://www.skysports.com/football/soton-vs-leicester/408078. Retrieved 26 October 2019.
- Wakefield, Mark (26 October 2019). "The heartfelt messages Leicester City players past and present sent after record-equalling win". LeicestershireLive. https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/heartfelt-messages-leicester-city-players-3468843. Retrieved 26 October 2019.