2017 Mumbai stampede
- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on September 30 2017. This is a backup of Wikipedia:2017_Mumbai_stampede. All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/2017_Mumbai_stampede, the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/2017_Mumbai_stampede.
On 29 September 2017, a stampede broke out at the sub-urban Prabhadevi railway station (formerly known as Elphinstone station) in Mumbai, India. At least 23 people were killed and 39 others were injured in the stampede. The incident took place between the Parel railway station and Prabhadevi railway station.
On the morning of 29 September 2017, around 10:30 am local time, a stampede erupted on a footbridge at the sub-urban Prabhadevi railway station, formerly known as Elphinstone station in Mumbai, Maharashtra, India, which connects two of Mumbai's major suburban lines.
The incident occurred during the morning rush hour at Prabhadevi station, when four trains arrived simultaneously at the station. It was further raining at the time and there were already numerous people crammed into the narrow bridge.
According to a Mumbai Police official, the stampede was triggered by a rumour that the pedestrian bridge was collapsing which sparked chaos among passengers as they surged forwards to flee. According to a witness, the situation worsened as police and emergency officials did not respond immediately or enforce crowd control measures.
At least 23 people died and 39 others were injured in the stampede. According a hospital's official, most of the people who died suffered from chest compression and haemorrhage due to injuries.
President of India, Ram Nath Kovind expressed grief over the "loss of lives in the stampede in Mumbai".  Prime Minister of India, Narendra Modi expressed his condolences to "all those who have lost their lives due to the stampede in Mumbai", in a tweet. .
Venkaiah Naidu, the Vice President; Devendra Fadnavis, Chief Minister of Maharashtra; Mamata Banerjee, Chief Minister of Bengal and opposition leader Rahul Gandhi also expressed condolences over the deaths caused by the stampede.
Many Indians took to social media and called out the government for spending on projects such as a new bullet train from Mumbai to Ahmedabad in Gujarat, instead of focusing on basic infrastructure. Many media reports criticised the infrastructure in the station and reported the incident as a tragedy which was waiting to happen. MNS chief Raj Thackeray warned PM that he would not allow a single brick to be placed for the bullet train in Mumbai, until the infrastructure of local railways was made better.
In the aftermath, railway minister Piyush Goyal said that the government has ordered a probe into the incident.He also ordered a safety and capacity audit of all foot over-bridges at suburban stations across Mumbai.
- Zanane, Anant R; Marwaha, Nonika (29 September 2017). "22 Dead, Many Injured In Stampede Near Mumbai's Elphinstone Station". NDTV. https://www.ndtv.com/mumbai-news/elphinstone-railway-station-stampede-at-overbridge-several-injured-1756677.
- "Elphinstone Road station stampede: 22 dead, 39 hurt; government announces compensation, orders probe". The Times of India. 29 September 2017. http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/mumbai-stampede-22-dead-39-hurt-government-announces-ex-gratia-orders-probe/articleshow/60882899.cms.
- Kumar, Hari (29 September 2017). "Stampede at Mumbai Railway Station Kills at Least 22". The New York Times. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/29/world/asia/mumbai-railway-stampede-elphinstone.html. Retrieved 30 September 2017.
- Kumar, Nikhil (29 September 2017). "Mumbai stampede kills 22, injures 35 at train station". CNN. http://edition.cnn.com/2017/09/29/asia/india-mumbai-stampede/index.html. Retrieved 30 September 2017.
- "22 Dead, Many Injured In Stampede Near Mumbai's Elphinstone Station". NDTV.com. https://www.ndtv.com/mumbai-news/elphinstone-railway-station-stampede-at-overbridge-several-injured-1756677.
- Tripathy, Rajendra Jadhav and Devidutta. "Stampede in Mumbai kills at least 22" (in en-IN). IN. http://in.reuters.com/article/india-stampede-mumbai-elphinstone/stampede-in-mumbai-kills-at-least-22-idINKCN1C40N7.
- "Mumbai railway station stampede kills 22 amid heavy rain". BBC. 29 September 2017. http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-41439379. Retrieved 30 September 2017.
- Safi, Michael (29 September 2017). "Mumbai railway station stampede kills at least 22". The Guardian. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/sep/29/stampede-mumbai-railway-station-rush-hour. Retrieved 30 September 2017.
- Boyle, Danny (29 September 2017). "Mumbai station stampede kills at least 22 amid rumour bridge was collapsing". The Telegraph. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/09/29/mumbai-station-stampede-kills-least-15-amid-rumour-bridge-collapsing/. Retrieved 30 September 2017.
- Chaubey, Vedika (September 30, 2017). "Elphinstone stampede: death toll climbs to 23". The Hindu. http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/mumbai/elphinstone-stampede-death-toll-climbs-to-23/article19777052.ece.
- Shelar, Jyoti (29 September 2017). "Crushed: What happened at Mumbai’s Elphinstone Road railway station". The Hindu. http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/mumbai/crushed-what-happened-at-mumbais-elphinstone-road-railway-station/article19775921.ece. Retrieved 30 September 2017.
- "India: At least 22 killed in Mumbai station stampede". Al Jazeera. 29 September 2017. http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/09/india-21-killed-mumbai-station-stampede-170929065856723.html. Retrieved 30 September 2017.
- "PM Modi Condoles Stampede Incident Near Mumbai's Elphinstone Station". NDTV. 29 September 2017. https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/pm-narendra-modi-condoles-stampede-incident-near-mumbais-elphinstone-station-1756742.
- "Stampede at Mumbai's Elphinstone railway station". The Times of India. 29 September 2017. http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/mumbai/stampede-at-mumbai-elphinstone-railway-station/liveblog/60879786.cms.
- "Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu, PM Narendra Modi condole Mumbai stampede deaths". The Economic Times. 29 September 2017. http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/politics-and-nation/vice-president-m-venkaiah-naidu-pm-narendra-modi-condole-mumbai-stampede-deaths/articleshow/60881965.cms.
- "22 dead, 35 injured in stampede at Mumbai’s Elphinstone Road station" (in en). The Hindustan Times. 2017-09-29. http://www.hindustantimes.com/mumbai-news/22-dead-35-injured-in-stampede-at-mumbai-s-elphinstone-road-station/story-oqPqfPrr7p0C9pE9W8SNPK.html.
- "Mumbai stampede: No need for bullets, callousness kills - Times of India". The Times of India. http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/mumbai/mumbai-stampede-no-need-for-bullets-callousness-kills/articleshow/60889173.cms.
- "Indifference, callousness and lack of accountability caused the Elphinstone station disaster" (in en). The Hindustan Times. 2017-09-29. http://www.hindustantimes.com/editorials/indifference-callousness-and-lack-of-accountability-caused-the-elphinstone-station-disaster/story-RJj21MzvZPSmyw4ca3j1VP.html.
- "A Letter, 100 Tweets Had Warned About Mumbai Bridge Where 22 Were Killed". NDTV.com. https://www.ndtv.com/mumbai-news/a-letter-many-tweets-had-warned-about-mumbai-bridge-where-22-were-killed-1756836.
- "Mumbai stampede tragedy could have been prevented" (in en-US). http://www.atimes.com/article/mumbai-rail-stampede-tragedy-prevented/.
- Pai, Madhav. "The Mumbai rail stampede was waiting to happen. Here’s how we can prevent a similar tragedy" (in en-US). Scroll.in. https://scroll.in/article/852419/mumbai-rail-stampede-was-waiting-to-happen-heres-how-we-can-prevent-another-similar-tragedy.
- "Elphinstone Road station stampede: Behind the tragedy, large-scale neglect of infrastructure" (in en-US). The Indian Express. 2017-09-30. http://indianexpress.com/article/india/elphinstone-road-station-stampede-behind-the-tragedy-large-scale-neglect-of-infrastructure-4867772/.
- Nair, Arun (September 30, 2017). "Mumbai Stampede: PM Modi 'Liar', Won't Allow Bullet Trains In Mumbai, Says Raj Thackeray". NDTV. https://www.ndtv.com/mumbai-news/raj-thackeray-blames-migrants-for-mumbai-stampede-that-left-22-dead-1757069.
- Kumar, Ashna (September 30, 2017). "Raj Thackeray threatens Modi's bullet train dream, says will stall project". India Today. http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/elphinstone-road-station-stampede-mumbai-raj-thackeray-pm-modi/1/1058930.html.
- Eloise Stevens, Vidhi Doshi (29 September 2017). "Stampede at Indian train station kills at least 22". Washington Post. https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/stampede-at-indian-train-station-kills-at-least-22/2017/09/29/704154c0-a50a-11e7-8c37-e1d99ad6aa22_story.html?utm_term=.499986018a58. Retrieved 30 September 2017.
- Ghadyalpatil, Abhiram (2017-09-29). "Elphinstone station stampede kills 22, govt order probe, safety audit of foot overbridges". http://www.livemint.com/Politics/26gcicKXkLYvVMmr6A2AnL/Mumbai-stampede-kills-15-on-foot-overbridge-linking-Elphinst.html.