2018 Schoharie New York traffic accident
- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on October 7 2018. This is a backup of Wikipedia:2018_Schoharie_New_York_traffic_accident. All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/2018_Schoharie_New_York_traffic_accident, the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/2018_Schoharie_New_York_traffic_accident.
- Wikipedia editors had multiple issues with this page:
- The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's general notability guideline. But, that doesn't mean someone has to… establish notability by citing reliable secondary sources that are independent of the topic and provide significant coverage of it beyond its mere trivial mention. (October 2018)
Template:Disputed title Template:Use mdy dates On October 6, 2018, a limousine crash in Schoharie County, New York, in the United States killed at least 20 people. The crash occurred near the Apple Barrel Country Store and New York State Route 30 (NY 30) and NY 30A, at 13:55. This incident is similar to the 2015 Long Island limo crash, which killed 4, and the most deadly accident in the state since a plane crashed into a house in 2009, which killed 50 people.
On October 6, a 2001 Ford Excursion SUV-style stretch limousine used for a wedding party was involved in a two-car crash in Schoharie County. The limo failed to stop at the T-intersection with NY 30A and continued into the parking lot of the Apple Barrel Country Store where it crashed into a parked 2015 Toyota Highlander and then came to a stop in a gully. The manager of the Apple Barrel Country Store told reporters that multiple customers in the store parking lot were killed when the limo sped down the hill "probably over 60 mph". However, reports later indicated that only two individuals in the parking lot were killed by the vehicle that was struck by the limo and propelled about 50 ft until it stopped in a drainage ditch. All 18 people in the limousine, as well as two bystanders in the parking lot, were killed in the collision.
An eyewitness claimed the crash sounded like an explosion, and when she exited her parked car she saw a body on the ground and then registered the screaming from bystanders. Another eyewitness told reporters she saw "...this large van, a very unusual looking vehicle out here in Schoharie in the bushes and really wrecked, hit a tree", and she watched first responders who broke windows to get victims out.
During a press conference officials released that all 20 deceased victims were adults and that 18 deceased were occupants of the limousine and two deceased victims were bystanders. While the deceased individuals have not been officially named, as of October 7 some reports were utilizing GoFundMe and other social media accounts to name some of the victims.
Investigators from the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) were at the scene of the crash. A member of the New York State Police told reporters that they had deployed a reconstruction unit, facial identification and a drone in order to gather data about the crash and the victims.
The family that owns the Apple Barrel Country Store, told reporters that the intersection and hill is a recurring and known issue. Reportedly tractor-trailers have repeatedly come down the hill too fast and entered the stores parking lot, and that while improvements had been made the intersection was still dangerous.
New York Governor Andrew Cuomo released a statement which expressed his condolences to the victims, commended the first responders actions, and highlighted that the state police were working with federal and local authorities to investigate the crash. Senator Chuck Schumer released a statement via Twitter, that highlighted his thoughts and prayers for those affected and first responders.
The Apple Barrel Country Store began to collect donations for local first responders, who are a mostly volunteer organization, and there is a planned vigil to honor the victims at the store on October 9.
- "Police: 20 dead in upstate NY crash involving limousine" (in en). Rochester Democrat and Chronicle. October 7, 2018. https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/news/2018/10/07/multiple-deaths-wedding-limo-crash-uptate/1557966002/.
- "US wedding limousine crash kills 20" (in en-GB). BBC News. October 7, 2018. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-45778366.
- "Pickup Driver Loses License in 2015 Limo Crash That Killed 4" (in en). NBC New York (New York: WNBC-TV). April 26, 2017. https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Limousine-Crash-Death-4-Women-Vineyards-Tour-Long-Island-Death-Steven-Romeo-Drunk-Driving-Truck-Investigation-Grand-Jury--420490274.html.
- "20 killed in horrific limousine crash in upstate New York" (in en). CBS News. October 7, 2018. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/wedding-limo-crash-20-dead-in-horrific-wreck-in-schoharie-new-york-state-police-say/.
- Goodwin, Mike; Stanforth, Lauren; Hughes, Steve (October 7, 2018). "20 killed in Schoharie limousine crash". Times Union (Albany, NY). https://www.timesunion.com/news/article/20-killed-in-Schoharie-limousine-crash-13288015.php.
- Goodwin, Mike; Stanforth, Lauren; Hughes, Steve (October 7, 2018). "Schoharie limo crash deadliest in US in nine years" (in en-US). Houston Chronicle. https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/article/20-killed-in-Schoharie-limousine-crash-13288015.php#photo-16293283.
- WNYT Staff (October 7, 2018). "NTSB: Schoharie crash deadliest in US since 2009" (in en). WNYT NewsChannel 13 (Albany, NY: WNYT-TV). https://wnyt.com/news/fatal-crash-route-30-route-30a-schoharie/5098777/.
- McKinley, Jesse; Goldmacher, Shane; Ferré-Sadurní, Luis (October 7, 2018). "Limo Crash Leaves 20 Dead at Popular Tourist Spot in Upstate New York" (in en). The New York Times. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/07/nyregion/wedding-limo-crash-schoharie-ny.html.
- WTEN Staff (October 7, 2018). "Breaking: 20 killed in wedding limo crash" (in en-US). Mobile, AL: WKRG-TV. https://www.wkrg.com/news/national/breaking-20-killed-in-new-york-limo-crash/1504679934.
- "Police: 20 dead in upstate NY crash involving limo" (in en-US). East Bay Times. Associated Press (Walnut Creek, CA). October 7, 2018. https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2018/10/07/police-20-dead-in-upstate-ny-crash-involving-limo/.
- Davidson, Tom (October 7, 2018). "New York limousine crash kills 20 after 'driver failed to stop at junction'". The Daily Mirror (London). https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/us-news/breaking-new-york-wedding-limousine-13379807.
- "20 killed in Schoharie limousine crash". MSN. October 7, 2018. https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/20-killed-in-upstate-ny-limousine-crash/ar-BBO3Cpc?ocid=ientp.
- Klepper, David (October 7, 2018). "Witness: NY crash that left 20 dead was 'like an explosion'" (in en). WNYT NewsChannel 13 (Albany, NY: WNYT-TV). https://wnyt.com/news/ntsb-probes-fatal-crash-involving-limo-multiple-deaths/5099286/.
- Silva, Daniella; Rosenblatt, Kalhan; Stelloh, Tim (October 7, 2018). "20 people killed in limousine crash in New York state, police say" (in en-US). NBC News. https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/20-people-killed-vehicle-crash-new-york-state-police-say-n917541.
- Burkhard, Emily (October 7, 2018). "Locals react to Schoharie crash that left 20 dead" (in en). WNYT NewsChannel 13 (Albany, NY: WNYT-TV). https://wnyt.com/news/locals-react-to-schoharie-crash-that-left-20-dead/5099363/.