- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on September 6 2016. This is a backup of Wikipedia:51degrees. All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/51degrees, the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/51degrees.
51Degrees is a provider of free and open source device detection software. It also provides web optimisation solutions and analytics. The company name derives from the northern latitude which corresponds to Reading, England, where the business has its base. The relevance of this relates to the significance of a mobile device's location when tailoring user experience. 51Degrees was founded in 2009.
Customers using the 51Degrees device detection solution include e-commerce and retail, publishers, digital agencies and ad techs, and government bodies. Notable customers include Unilever, eBay, T-Mobile, Hyundai, Wiggle, the Danish government, the Home Shopping Network, and Focus Vision.
Device intelligence is used by business increasingly since the mobile tipping point of 2015 when US mobile digital media time reached 51% compared to 42% desktop. Device detection and Responsive Web Design are two different methods for optimising websites for varying devices. The differences between the two are a topic of debate at Forrester, and Smashing Magazine.
51Degrees was shortlisted for the Most Effective Advertising Technology Platform award in 2015 at the Effective Mobile Marketing awards.
Technology and products
The device detection API provides businesses and web developers with insight into what device a user is using to visit their site. Device detection can work in conjunction with Responsive Web Design (RWD) or as a standalone product although RWD alone cannot equal the page load time. 51Degrees provides a sub millisecond page load time, and claims to be the fastest device detection service available. The significance of speed was highlighted by Google, whose Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMP) project sought to meet "the expectation that content should load super fast and be easy to explore" since "Speed matters and instant is the ideal." In 2015 Google started according higher search ranking positions to mobile-enabled sites.
51Degrees' algorithms have a US patent and are patented under European patent number 2871816.
In October 2014, 51Degrees won the government’s Innovate UK award  and used the ensuing funding to work with The Away Foundation  to create the Digital Globe Project. The project proposes real-time mobile data visualisations as a prospect for future browser-based apps. It demonstrates that mainstream web devices can deliver native application experiences in a web browser, thereby reducing development costs and improving accessibility. Insights gained from this project have shown the extent of the personal communications revolution in Africa.
It has been assisted by the UK government's Trade and Investment department,
- "StrikeAd by Sizmek Chooses 51Degrees as Exclusive Device Detection Partner". sizmek.com. https://www.sizmek.com/press-releases/strikead-by-sizmek-chooses-51degrees-as-exclusive-device-detection-partner/. Retrieved 7 September 2016.
- "Wiggle – Cycle – Run – Swim – Tri-Sports & Bike Shop". wiggle.co.uk. http://www.wiggle.co.uk/. Retrieved 17 June 2016.
- "Online Shopping: Shop the Official HSN Site – HSN". hsn.com. http://www.hsn.com/. Retrieved 17 June 2016.
- "Online Q+Q Market Research Technologies – FocusVision". focusvision.com. https://www.focusvision.com/. Retrieved 17 June 2016.
- "Global Internet Trends 2015 Report". smartinsights.com. http://www.smartinsights.com/internet-marketing-statistics/insights-from-kpcb-us-and-global-internet-trends-2015-report/. Retrieved 7 September 2016.
- "Mobile First Demands More Than Basic Responsive Web Design". Forrester. https://www.forrester.com/report/Brief+MobileFirst+Demands+More+Than+Basic+Responsive+Web+Design/-/E-RES132601. Retrieved 7 September 2016.
- "Server Side Detection Benefits". Smashing Magazine. https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2012/09/server-side-device-detection-history-benefits-how-to/. Retrieved 7 September 2016.
- "Effective Mobile Marketing Awards Shortlist Unveiled". blis.com. http://www.blis.com/effective-mobile-marketing-awards-shortlist-unveiled/. Retrieved 7 September 2016.
- "DNN's Secret Weapon". glanton.com. http://glanton.com/News/ArtMID/781/ArticleID/23/DNN%E2%80%99s-Secret-Weapon-51Degrees-Mobile-Device-Optimisation. Retrieved 6 September 2016.
- "What Is The Accelerated Mobile Pages Proejct?". ampproject.org. https://www.ampproject.org/docs/support/faqs.html#what-is-the-accelerated-mobile-pages-project. Retrieved 9 September 2016.
- "Google Search Ranking Mobile". businessnewsdaily.com. http://www.businessnewsdaily.com/7808-google-search-ranking-mobile.html. Retrieved 9 September 2016.
- "Browser and Device Detection in Websites (Channel 9)". msdn.com. https://channel9.msdn.com/Shows/Web-Hack-Wednesday/browserdetection. Retrieved 17 June 2016.
- "Identifying properties of a communication device". espacenet.com. http://worldwide.espacenet.com/publicationDetails/biblio;jsessionid=LiMcz673M0MDPK5WpoYe-F0f.espacenet_levelx_prod_1?FT=D&date=20150513&DB=&locale=en_EP&CC=EP&NR=2871816A1&KC=A1&ND=4. Retrieved 17 June 2016.
- Assmann, Baptiste (14 October 2015). "What’s new in HAProxy 1.6". haproxy.com. http://blog.haproxy.com/2015/10/14/whats-new-in-haproxy-1-6/. Retrieved 17 June 2016.
- "Innovate UK Funded Projects". gov.uk. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/innovate-uk-funded-projects/. Retrieved 26 July 2016.
- "The Away Foundation". theawayfoundation.org. http://www.theawayfoundation.org/. Retrieved 25 July 2016.
- "Making Connections with Increasingly Clever Machines". communicationsafrica.com. http://www.communicationsafrica.com/mobile/making-connections-with-increasingly-clever-machines?start=1. Retrieved 7 September 2016.
- "51Degrees Trade and Export Case Study". UKTI. https://www.techuk.org/component/techuksecurity/security/download/1967?file=UKTI_51Degrees_Trade_and_Export_Case_Study.pdf&Itemid=177&return=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cudGVjaHVrLm9yZy9pbnNpZ2h0cy9uZXdzL2l0ZW0vMTk2Ny11a3RpLWhlbHBzLXN0YXJ0LXVwLTUxZGVncmVlcy1idWlsZC1yZWxhdGlvbnNoaXBzLXdpdGgtYnVzaW5lc3MtZGVjaXNpb24tbWFrZXJz.. Retrieved 7 September 2016.