BeFunky Photo Editor
- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on January 13 2014. This is a backup of Wikipedia:BeFunky_Photo_Editor. All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/BeFunky_Photo_Editor, the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/BeFunky_Photo_Editor.
BeFunky is a photo editing application for mobile devices and web platform. The application allows users to edit and apply effects and frames to an image file. Users are able to save their edited photograph to social media locations, including Facebook, Twitter, Flickr, Tumblr, and the BeFunky gallery.
The BeFunky photo editor is available to the public through the developer's website and in mobile app stores such as the iTunes App Store and Google Play and supports mobile platforms and devices such as the iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, as well as Android phones and tablets.
BeFunky Inc, which creates the BeFunky applications, was founded in Istanbul, Turkey, by Tekin Tatar and Kemal Ozisikcilar in 2007. In September 2007 they launched the BeFunky photo editor on www.befunky.com with their flagship effects, Cartoonizer and Uvatar, which transformed uploaded photographs into cartoons and avatars. That same month, BeFunky was invited to present their photo editor at the TechCrunch40 Conference where they were selected as one of the 40 hottest new startups from around the world.
On June 2, 2008 BeFunky received seed funding from Golden Horn Ventures in the amount of $550,000. In August 2009 BeFunky Inc. moved their operations to the United States.Today the company is headquartered in San Francisco, California and but maintains some operations in Istanbul, Turkey.
In January 2009, BeFunky launched eight new photo effect categories on their website including Warholizer, Charcoal, Patriotic, Inkify, Line Artopia, Stenciler, Sunburst, and Scribbler. In December of that same year, BeFunky introduced more effects and began offering a premium membership. BeFunky the website is offering photo effects with a total of 190 in 30 categories. BeFunky consistently adds new features to their applications and today offers in excess of 200 effects.
BeFunky released the BeFunky Photo Effects widget for Motorola phones in April 2009 and was selected as the best widget in the social networking/photos category at Motorola MOTODEV Widget Developer Challenge in March of that year.
An unlimited number of effects and edits can be stacked.
BeFunky has more than five million active monthly users and 50 million photos created each month. After the gallery feature has been launched on 18 March 2013, BeFunky showed growth with 18 million active visits and 52 million photos created every month.
In Photo/Video Apps Market Analysis January Report BeFunky ranked 19th among the free iPhone photo app downloads in the US and 46th among the free Android photo apps.
BeFunky is gaining eight times as many daily active users as they did a year ago and has been downloaded on iOS and Android a combined 11 million times. .
BeFunky has created a PhotoBooth to show its photo editing and effect capabilities to audiences at music festivals and events
BeFunky Photo Booth Events
BeFunky has unveiled its first Photo Booth at Counter Point Music Festival, Atlanta.
Photo Booth at the Treasure Island Music Festival, held on October 13 and 14, 2012 in San Francisco. In BeFunky's photo booth people can take pictures, then edit them with signature BeFunky effects and print them out.
BeFunky joins to Grammy Awards event being held February 7–8, beginning at 12:00 pm PT. BeFunky will take its custom photo booth to the official radio event held at Staples Center in Los Angeles and offer a ‘behind the scenes’ look at the star studded event.
- BeFunky Inc. holds the patent of its original Cartoonizer Effect (Method And System For Generating Online Cartoon Outputs). Patent Nr.US 2009/0219298
- Official website
- BeFunky Photo Editor (free) iTunes - iPhone
- BeFunky Photo Editor (free) iTunes - iPad
- BeFunky Photo Editor (free) Android Mobile
- BeFunky Photo Editor (free) Android Tablet
- Farr, Christina (September 3, 2012). "BeFunky launches Instagram competitor to turn photos into art". Venture Beat. http://venturebeat.com/2012/09/03/befunky-launch-exclusive/#s:photo-109. Retrieved October 1, 2012.
- Editor (March 20, 2010). "New iPhone Photo App: Befunky FX". iPhonography. http://www.iphoneography.com/journal/2010/3/30/new-iphone-photo-app-befunky-fx.html. Retrieved February 1, 2012.
- Ashe, Dru (September 5, 2012). "Photo Sharing App 'Befunky' Launches iOS and Android Apps in the U.S.". Complex. http://www.complex.com/tech/2012/09/photo-sharing-app-befunky-launches-ios-and-android-apps-in-the-us. Retrieved February 5, 2013.
- Shariar, Khaled (September 23, 2012). "Top Photo Editing Apps for Android, Download them now". Getandroidstuff. http://getandroidstuff.com/top-photo-editing-apps-for-android-download-them-now/. Retrieved February 5, 2012.
- Lonczak, Jonathan (May 27, 2011). "BeFunky Photo Editor an Excellent Photo Effects Application". Androidtapp. http://www.androidtapp.com/befunky-photo-editor/. Retrieved February 10, 2013.
- Editor (September 10, 2009). "BeFunky Inc.". CrunchBase. http://www.crunchbase.com/company/befunky. Retrieved February 20, 2013.
- Srikanth (June 8, 2009). "BeFunky: Cartoonize Your Photos and Videos with One Click". Lost in Technology. http://www.lostintechnology.com/internet-tools/befunky-cartoonize-your-photos-and-videos-with-one-click/. Retrieved February 20, 2013.
- Dembo, Steve (December 6, 2007). "Make your digital photos BeFunky". Discovery Education. http://blog.discoveryeducation.com/blog/2007/12/06/make-your-digital-photos-befunky/. Retrieved February 28, 2013.
- Boutin, Paul (March 30, 2009). "TCartoon Avatars Let You Turn Yourself Into a Web Comic". New York Times. http://gadgetwise.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/03/30/cartoon-avatars-let-you-turn-yourself-into-a-web-comic/. Retrieved February 20, 2013.
- HA, Peter (September 18, 2007). "TechCrunch40 Session 7 Rich Media MashUps". TechCrunch. http://techcrunch.com/2007/09/18/techcrunch40-session-7-rich-media-mash-ups/. Retrieved February 20, 2013.
- Tatar, Tekin (September 17, 2007). "TechCrunch40 Demonstration". Blip.tv. http://blip.tv/techcrunch40/session-7-befunky-413021. Retrieved February 20, 2013.
- Editor (September 10, 2008). "Golden Horn Ventures". CrunchBase. http://www.crunchbase.com/financial-organization/golden-horn-ventures. Retrieved February 20, 2013.
- Shonfeld, Erick (June 2, 2008). "TechCrunch40 Startup BeFunky Gets a Seed Round". TechCrunch. http://techcrunch.com/2008/06/02/tc40-startup-befunky-gets-a-seed-round/. Retrieved February 20, 2013.
- Editor. "BeFunky Moves Global Headquarters From Istanbul to San Francisco". MarketWire September 4, 2012. http://www.marketwire.com/press-release/befunky-moves-global-headquarters-from-istanbul-to-san-francisco-1696850.htm. Retrieved February 20, 2013.
- Editor. "When It iIs Ordinary It Is Not Funky". Schmoozy Fox January 4, 2010. http://www.schmoozyfox.com/2010/01/04/befunky-com-interview/. Retrieved February 20, 2013.
- In, Kevin. "BeFunky Photo Effects Giveaway". Daddy Forever September 8, 2010. http://daddyforever.com/2010/09/08/photo-effects/. Retrieved February 20, 2013.
- Editor. "BeFunky.com Offers Amazing Photo Effects and Photo Editing Tools for Everyday People". MarketWire June 8, 2010. http://www.marketwire.com/press-release/befunkycom-offers-amazing-photo-effects-and-photo-editing-tools-for-everyday-people-1278431.htm. Retrieved February 20, 2013.
- BeFunky. "Introducing The Newest Features and Effects". BeFunky June 15, 2010. http://blog.befunky.com/introducing-the-newest-features-and-effects/. Retrieved February 20, 2013.
- BeFunky. "Best Widget in Social Networking/Photos". BeFunky April 8, 2009. http://blog.befunky.com/best-widget-in-social-networking-photos/. Retrieved February 20, 2013.
- Editor. "BeFunky Photo Editor". Best Apps Market March 20, 2013. http://www.bestappsmarket.com/p/app?appId=18415&title=befunky-photo-editor. Retrieved March 19, 2013.
- Mobile Village Team. "2012 Mobile Star Awards Entries". Mobile Village September 28, 2012. http://www.mobilevillage.com/befunky/. Retrieved February 21, 2013.
- Press Release (2012). "New Version of BeFunky Gives Users the Most Creative Control.". BeFunky Inc. September 4, 2012. http://static.befunky.com/V4/2012_V2/BeFunkyProductRelease_Sep_2012.pdf. Retrieved February 21, 2013.
- Marketwire. "BeFunky's New Photo Gallery Picks Up Where Instagram Leaves Off". Bloomberg March 18, 2013. http://www.bloomberg.com/article/2013-03-18/amnE5tQUVbtw.html. Retrieved March 19, 2013.
- PMA Newsline. "BeFunky: From photo editor to photo network". PMANewsline March 20, 2013. http://pmanewsline.com/2013/03/20/befunky-from-photo-editor-to-photo-network/#.UVFRaluSCC8. Retrieved March 19, 2013.
- Nay, Josh. "Early Look at Instagram Competitor BeFunky’s Upcoming New Features and Photo Gallery". Trutower March 21, 2013. http://www.trutower.com/2013/03/21/befunky-instagram-alternative-new-release-photo-app/. Retrieved March 19, 2013.
- BeFunky. "BeFunky Photo Booth". BeFunky October 26, 2012. http://www.befunky.com/photobooth/. Retrieved February 21, 2013.
- Press Release (September 25, 2012). "BeFunky to Unveil New Photo Booth at Counterpoint Music Festival". Yahoo Finance. http://finance.yahoo.com/news/befunky-unveil-photo-booth-counterpoint-130500173.html. Retrieved February 20, 2013.
- Yahoo Finance. "BeFunky to Offer Free Photo Booth Pictures at Treasure Island Music Festival". MarketWire October 26, 2012. http://finance.yahoo.com/news/befunky-offer-free-photo-booth-150300456.html/. Retrieved February 20, 2013.
- SF Gate. "Free BeFunky Photo Booth at Treasure Island Music Festival". SF Gate October 13, 2012. http://events.sfgate.com/san_francisco_ca/events/show/286746405-free-befunky-photo-booth-at-treasure-island-music-festival/. Retrieved February 21, 2013.
- Ashley, Blaine (October 9, 2012). "Treasure Island Music Festival Get's Interactive & Funky Too". JoonBug. http://joonbug.com/sanfrancisco/scenetracker/Treasure-Island-Music-Festival/wI42IicgMts. Retrieved February 20, 2013.
- MarketWire (January 8, 2013). "The BeFunky Photo Booth Goes to Hollywood for Critics' Choice Movie Awards". Investors. http://news.investors.com/newsfeed/010813-141419628-the-befunky-photo-booth-goes-to-hollywood-for-critics-choice-movie-awards.aspx. Retrieved February 21, 2013.
- Press Release (February 8, 2013). "BeFunky Photo Booth Caters to the Stars at Two-Day Grammy Event". PRWeb. http://www.prweb.com/releases/2013/2/prweb10397253.htm. Retrieved February 21, 2013.
- BeFunky Inc. "Method And System For Generating Online Cartoon Outputs". BeFunky Inc. February 13, 2009. http://www.google.com/patents/US20090219298?pg=PA1&dq=US+20090219298&hl=tr&sa=X&ei=HtQkUZrsOZSRhQe394GoBA&ved=0CDQQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=US%2020090219298&f=false. Retrieved February 20, 2013.
- BeFunky Inc. "Method and system for providing an image effects interface". BeFunky Inc. March 02, 2009. http://www.google.com/patents/US20100223565?hl=tr&dq=Method+and+system+for+providing+an+image+effects+interface. Retrieved February 20, 2013.