- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on December 2 2014. This is a backup of Wikipedia:Ben_Parcell. All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Ben_Parcell, the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Ben_Parcell.
Ben Parcell is an English singer songwriter, born and residing in Bridlington, East Riding of Yorkshire. Since going solo in 2010 he has played over 300 shows around the U.K supporting several established acts including Chris Helme, Alice Gold and Ben Marwood including appearing on BBC Introducing and having a music video placed on rotation on UK Digital TV.
Ben is a multi-instrumentalist proficient in vocals, electric and acoustic guitar, mandolin, bass, keyboards and drums, and has performed in bands since 2002. Notably he was the lead singer and guitarist of pop punk band 'The Trailers' from between 2002–2005 who supported several signed bands including Jesse James at the Adelphi club, Hull Miss Black America and also The Paddingtons.
Ben currently performs as a solo performer with acoustic guitar and vocals. He has supported several established artists on tour dates: Chris Helme of The Seahorses, Mark Morriss of The Bluetones, Ben Marwood, Alice Gold, Ryan Spendlove, Blair Dunlop, Edwina Hayes, Jon Windle, as well as performing at several notable music festivals including Beverley Folk Festival Staxtonbury Music Festival and Musicport World Music Festival at Bridlington Spa in 2011.
In 2010 his debut, solo 10 track album "Humble Beginnings" was released. Parcell performed all the instruments on the limited edition pressing of 1000 CDs which has had several critically acclaimed reviews from respected publications. 2011 sees Ben's music take a slightly different direction, bringing more traditional folk influences into his repertoire. His latest E.P 'Painted By Numbers' which is an acoustic affair, features 4 tracks of stripped down organic sound featuring special guest Edwina Hayes on backing vocals. The 2011 E.P reached number 40 in the iTunes daily singer songwriter chart.
His debut music video 'Close Your Eyes' has been on regular rotation on UK TV when it was accepted for the playlist on Greatest Hits TV on Sky Digital as part of the Lava TV showcase. His song 'The Only One' is featured on the benefit compilation 'Unity' for the Japan Tsunami Charity by Engineer Records which features mainstream acts such as The Gaslight Anthem, Fightstar and Funeral For a Friend. Ben was invited by Alan Raw to play a live acoustic session on BBC Introducing as well as having his album and E.P tracks played regularly on BBC Humberside and recently made it onto the featured undiscovered artist of the week on Yorkshire Coast Radio. He has also been a guest on Vixen 101 performing alongside Jake Morley. The track 'Close Your Eyes' was aired on national radio station Amazing Radio
Parcell is influenced from a wide range of music from whom he has grown up with, spanning different genres including 1960s Pop music: The Beatles, The Kinks. American Pop Punk bands such as: Green Day, The Ataris, No Use For a Name. Singer songwriters Frank Turner, Elvis Costello, Marit Larsen, Edwina Hayes and Britpop bands such as Oasis and Blur. He combines these influences to create music which he describes as Pop folk.
- Painted By Numbers (2011)
- Unity – a benefit for the children of the Japanese tsunami disaster – "The Only One" (2011) Engineer Records
- Close Your Eyes (2010)
- Stay in Touch (2011)
- Expectations (2013)
- I Don't Need You (2013)
Parcell is a featured artist on the Turner Guitars website, and uses the Turner 60CE Dreadnought for unplugged performances and recording sessions.
- "Alice Gold | Empire | 9 March 2012". Leedsmusicscene.net. 9 March 2012. http://www.leedsmusicscene.net/gig/46830/. Retrieved 17 April 2012.
- Bridlington Free Press, 2012-04-05, page 38
- "BBC Radio Humberside Playlist 01-08-2010. Retrieved 15 March 2012.
- "Lava TV". Lava TV. 22 November 2010. http://www.lavatv.co.uk/PlayList.aspx?ID=112. Retrieved 9 April 2012.
- Mo Serruya (15 April 2004). "Hull Local Music Reviews – Skanking, Skating and Soul! Jesse James / Fraction of the Cost / The Trailers The Adelphi, Hull Thursday 15th April 2004 By Mike Rofone". Thisisull.com. http://www.thisisull.com/music/mikeadelphi15apr04.html. Retrieved 17 April 2012.
- Wilson, Natalya (4 May 2011). "Review: Ryan Spendlove, The Duchess (From York Press)". Yorkpress.co.uk. http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/leisure/music/9005735.Review__Ryan_Spendlove__The_Duchess/. Retrieved 17 April 2012.
- "Jon Windle (of Little Man Tate) at The Adelphi, Hull – Hull gig listings, competitions and more". Hullgigguide.co.uk. http://www.hullgigguide.co.uk/events/the-adelphi/405/jon-windle/. Retrieved 17 April 2012.
- "Beverley Folk Festival Lineup , Ben Parcell | Beverley". Efestivals. 9 May 2013. http://www.efestivals.co.uk/festivals/beverley/2013/. Retrieved 17 April 2012.
- "Acoustic Club, Brid , Ben Parcell | Musicport". Bambuser. 4 November 2011. http://bambuser.com/v/2100638. Retrieved 17 April 2012.
- Mo Serruya (1 January 1990). "Music Album Reviews – Ben Parcell – Humble Beginnings Reviewed by Steve Rudd". Thisisull.com. http://www.thisisull.com/music10/cdreviews/1871590741_stevebenparcell.html. Retrieved 17 April 2012.
- Midgley, Ian. "Bridlington musician hopes to go from humble beginnings to great things", East Riding Mail, Hull, 4 November 2010. Retrieved 15 March 2012
- "Album Review :: Ben Parcell – Humble Beginnings | Moon & Back Music". Moonandbackmusic.com. http://moonandbackmusic.com/archives/5011. Retrieved 9 April 2012.
- Jordy Kasko (11 October 2011). "The Tune – Review: Ben Parcell – Painted by Numbers EP". The-tune.net. http://www.the-tune.net/review-ben-parcell-painted-by-numbers-ep/. Retrieved 9 April 2012.
- "Various Artists – UNITY", Engineer Records. Retrieved 15 March 2012
- "Unity: A Benefit For the Children of the Japanese Tsuanmi Disaster – News Article". AbsolutePunk.net. http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=2400082. Retrieved 17 April 2012.
- "Undiscovered". Yorkshire Coast Radio. http://www.yorkshirecoastradio.com/undiscovered.php. Retrieved 17 April 2012.
- "The Fox's Den | Vixen101 | Page 3". Vixen101. http://www.vixen101.co.uk/category/blogs/fox-den/page/3/. Retrieved 17 April 2012.
- "The Fox's Den | Vixen101 | Page 3". Vixen101. http://www.amazingtunes.com/benparcell. Retrieved 17 April 2012.
- "Painted By Numbers by Ben Parcell". We Are Unseen. http://www.weareunseen.co.uk/reviews/article.php?Ben-Parcell---Painted-By-Numbers-109. Retrieved 14 May 2012.
- "Release "Humble Beginnings" by Ben Parcell". MusicBrainz. http://musicbrainz.org/release/ace85522-c60f-46f5-8cab-fd06f5c54564. Retrieved 17 April 2012.
- "Release "Expectations" by Ben Parcell". MusicBrainz. http://musicbrainz.org/release/c21fea1a-60c5-429a-bbb6-37e8bc6222ff. Retrieved 17 April 2012.
- "Release "Cover Stories" by Ben Parcell". Bandcamp. http://benparcell.bandcamp.com/album/cover-stories-vol-1. Retrieved 17 April 2012.
- "Release "Painted by Numbers" by Ben Parcell". MusicBrainz. http://musicbrainz.org/release/c21fea1a-60c5-429a-bbb6-37e8bc6222ff. Retrieved 17 April 2012.
- "Release "I Don't Need You" by Ben Parcell". Iaterecords. http://www.iaterecords.com/ben-parcell-single-release/. Retrieved 24 June 2013.
- "Turner Artists , Ben Parcell | Turner Guitars UK". Turner Guitars UK. 9 May 2013. http://www.turnerguitars.com/artists.aspx. Retrieved 17 April 2012.