- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on March 21 2016. This is a backup of Wikipedia:Bryan_Caforio. All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Bryan_Caforio, the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Bryan_Caforio.
Template:Infobox politician Bryan Caforio is an American politician and attorney. He is a candidate to represent California's 25th congressional district in the United States House of Representatives.
Early life and education
Caforio was born and raised in Southern California, where he attended public schools.[no citations needed here] His parents were public school teachers and union members. He graduated magna cum laude from the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) with a B.A. in Political Science in 2005 and was named to Phi Beta Kappa. He was a member of the UCLA collegiate Mock Trial Team when the team became American Mock Trial Association National Champions in 2004 and as co-captain led the team in 2005 to its second consecutive first place finish. He was named American Mock Trial Association All-American Attorney in 2003, 2004 and 2005.
After graduating from UCLA, Caforio attended Yale Law School, where he served as Senior Editor of the Yale Law & Policy Review in 2007-2008 and as Co-Chair of the Moot Court. He became a finalist for the Morris Tyler Moot Court of Appeals Thurman Arnold Prize in 2007.
He then returned to his home state of California to become an Associate at Susman Godfrey L.L.P., a national law firm focused on commercial litigation. His assignments covered trial and appellate level commercial litigation, insurance coverage lawsuits, antitrust litigation, and environmental contamination. He became a partner in the firm in 2016, but subsequently withdrew from partnership pending his campaign for Congress.
2016 U.S. Congress campaign
Caforio is running to represent California's 25th congressional district. The 25th district encompasses northern Los Angeles County as well as portins of Ventura County, including the Antelope Valley, Palmdale, Lancaster, Santa Clarita and Simi Valley.
Democratic epresentative Brad Sherman of the neighboring 30th district endorsed Caforio, noting their shared concern about the Aliso Canyon gas leak. The 25th district encompasses part of the Porter Ranch area, which has been affected by the gas leak. In his endorsement, Sherman said that Caforio "advocates for stronger national standards for safe storage and transmission of natural gas." The Los Angeles Times wrote that no politician is "pursuing the issue as hard as Caforio," who on January 6, 2016, spoke to a group of disgruntled Porter Ranch residents who attended a meeting co-hosted by environmental activist Erin Brockovich. Caforio "aggressively attacked" his opponent, Steve Knight, for his delayed response to the leak. The Environmental Protection Agency is now investigating the leak, which was discovered on October 23, 2015. Caforio has outlined recommendations for preventing environmental disasters like the Aliso Canyon gas leak. 
- Democratic lawyer announcing challenge to GOP Rep. Steve Knight, Los Angeles Times, December 10, 2015
- "25th Congressional race grows with latest announced candidate", Ventura County Star, December 10, 2015"
- Painters and Allied Trades District Council 36 Endorses Bryan Caforio for Congress The International Union of Painters and Allied Trades, accessed March 20, 2016
- Mock Trial team wins national championship, The Daily Bruin, April 14, 2005
- "Championship Teams", "Mock Trial at UCLA", accessed December 14, 2015
- All-Americans"Mock Trial at UCLA", accessed December 15, 2015
- Michael Krouse ’08 and Enrique Schaerer ’08 Win Top Prize in Moot Court Finals"Yale Law School,"Dec 11, 2011
- Supreme Court justice presides at moot court finals "Yale Alumni Magazine", July/August 2007
- Top judges reach 'verdict' in law students' moot court trial "Yale Bulletin", Volume 35, Number 29, May 25, 2007
- Former clerk for 9th Circuit Judge Thomas to run for U.S. House in Calif. "State Bar of Montana, 10 Dec 2015"
- Bryan Caforio Susman Godfrey, accessed March 20, 2016
- Bryan Caforio Announces Candidacy For 25th Congressional District Election KHTS, December 20, 2015
- Sherman Backs Caforio National Journal, January 11, 2016
- Essential Politics: Choosing a New Leader L.A. Times, January 11, 2016
- Porter Ranch gas leak lingers Los Angeles Times, Jan. 18, 2016
- Caforio Chastises Knight Over Porter Ranch Gas Leak: Caforio spoke to the area before Knight National Journal, Jan. 19, 2016
- How to prevent more gas-leak disasters: Guest commentary The Los Angeles Daily News, February 3, 2016
- Harriet Harris Engel Napa Valley register, March 13, 2012
- "Valencia Democrat to run in 25th Congressional District, "The Santa Clarita Valley Signal", December 10, 2015"