- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on March 11 2018. This is a backup of Wikipedia:CheapOair. All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/CheapOair, the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/CheapOair.
CheapOair has become one of the top 5 online travel agencies in the United States and is the number 2 online travel agency in flight volume. CheapOair's parent, Fareportal, operates six call centers in the United States, Mexico, the Ukraine and India employing more than 3,000 customer care agents.
CheapOair was founded in 2006 by CEO Sam S. Jain in New York City as an air travel booking subsidiary of travel technology company Fareportal. By 2008, CheapOair was the ninth-largest online travel agency. It began offering hotel rooms in addition to airfares and car rentals.
Initially CheapOair advertised its services only through digital marketing channels. 2010 was the first time CheapOair launched a dedicated ad campaign in offline channels with a television advertising campaign.
In 2011, the agency released the CheapOair app for iOS and Android devices. The app achieved the million-download milestone at the beginning of 2013. By 2016, the app had been downloaded roughly 5 million times. CheapOair has won a number of awards including those from Travel Weekly,The Stevie Awards, and the International Service Excellence Awards. CheapOair has also been criticized by Consumer Affairs due to complaints around difficulties reaching customer service, often resulting in excessive fees when attempting to change ticket information.
- Eng, Dinah (13 November 2014). "Sam Jain's CheapOair is really taking off". Fortune. http://fortune.com/2014/11/13/sam-jain-cheapoair-immigrant-entrepreneur/. Retrieved 2 March 2015.
- Bachman, Justin (22 August 2013). "This Travel-Booking Website Loves It When You Call". Bloomberg Businessweek. http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-08-22/cheapoair-dot-com-this-travel-booking-website-loves-it-when-you-call. Retrieved 2 March 2015.
- Schultz, Abby (August 9, 2017). "How To Cancel Your Flight: These Details Matter". Barron's (newspaper). https://www.barrons.com/articles/how-to-cancel-your-flight-1502312176.
- Schaal, Dennis (24 September 2013). "Why CheapOair Is Sticking With Flights While Booking Peers Chase Hotels". Skift. http://skift.com/2013/09/24/why-cheapoair-is-sticking-with-flights-while-booking-peers-chase-hotels/. Retrieved 2 March 2015.
- Coleman, Lauren deLisa (October 19, 2017). "How The Battle Field For Top Talent Just Became Even More Fierce, Thanks to AI". Forbes (magazine). https://www.forbes.com/sites/laurencoleman/2017/10/19/how-the-battle-field-for-top-talent-just-became-even-more-fierce-thanks-to-ai/#2d74a8ca727d.
- Shillinglaw, James (6 April 2015). "Meet the Man Behind the Third Largest Online Travel Agency". Travel Pulse. http://www.travelpulse.com/opinions/column/meet-the-man-behind-the-third-largest-online-travel-agency.html. Retrieved 6 September 2016.
- O'Neill, Sean (15 September 2008). "CheapOair puts a fresh spin on hotel listings". Budget Travel. http://www.budgettravel.com/blog/cheapoair-puts-a-fresh-spin-on-hotel-listings,10087/. Retrieved 2 March 2015.
- "CheapOair Receives Three 2011 Silver Magellan Awards From Travel Weekly". Marketwired. 5 October 2011. http://www.marketwired.com/press-release/cheapoair-receives-three-2011-silver-magellan-awards-from-travel-weekly-1569323.htm. Retrieved 6 September 2016.
- "Travel Weekly Magellan Awards | Winners". https://www.travelweeklyawards.com/winners/list/?event=5&category=6&award=S. Retrieved 2 January 2017.
- Ward, Jenni (16 December 2011). "Best iPhone Apps for Finding Flights & Booking Airline Tickets". App Safari. http://www.appsafari.com/travel/17857/best-iphone-apps-for-finding-flights-booking-airline-tickets/. Retrieved 2 March 2015.
- "CheapOair Receives Top Awards for Mobile Apps". Yahoo. 2 October 2012. https://www.yahoo.com/news/cheapoair-receives-top-awards-mobile-135536717.html. Retrieved 6 September 2016.
- "CheapOair Celebrates One Million Mobile App Downloads". Reuters. 30 January 2013. https://www.reuters.com/article/2013/01/30/idUSnMKW80047a+1c0+MKW20130130. Retrieved 2 March 2015.
- Johnson, Lauren (10 December 2012). "CheapOair racks up app downloads via mobile sweepstakes". Mobile Commerce Daily. http://www.mobilecommercedaily.com/cheapoair-racks-up-app-downloads-via-mobile-sweepstakes. Retrieved 2 March 2015.
- Munro, Aria (7 October 2010). "CheapOair Wins Three 2010 Travel Weekly Magellan Awards". eNewsChannels. http://enewschannels.com/2010/10/07/enc12339_100956.php/cheapoair-wins-three-2010-travel-weekly-magellan-awards/. Retrieved 2 March 2015.
- Gallagher, Maggie (15 September 2015). "Fareportal Wins Grand Stevie® Award for Organization of the Year in 2015 American Business Awards". The Stevie Awards. http://blog.stevieawards.com/blog/fareportal-wins-grand-stevie%C2%AE-award-for-organization-of-the-year-in-2015-american-business-awards. Retrieved 11 August 2016.
- Brooks, Amber (29 August 2016). "Fareportal Surpasses $4.5 Billion in Sales — a Testament to the Ease & Appeal of Its Multi-Channel Travel Booking". DealCrunch. http://www.dealcrunch.com/blog/fareportal-offers-multi-channel-travel-booking/. Retrieved 6 September 2016.
- "Top 4,915 Reviews and Complaints about CheapOair" (in en). https://www.consumeraffairs.com/travel/cheapoair.html.