- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on April 16 2017. This is a backup of Wikipedia:Chris_McCooey. All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Chris_McCooey, the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Chris_McCooey.
|Christopher (Chris) McCooey|
|Education||The Skinners' School, Tunbridge Wells; University College, Oxford; University of California, Berkeley - Graduate Journalism School|
|Occupation||Freelance writer and speaker|
Chris McCooey is a freelance journalist, photographer and author. He was born in Tunbridge Wells in 1949 and has contributed travel and gardening articles to The Times, The Daily Telegraph, The Financial Times, The Daily Mail and The Daily Express. He has written a number of local history books and gives talks to local societies in Kent and Sussex. He was educated at The Skinners' School and University College, Oxford[no citations needed here]. He spent a number of years living and working in Japan. He is the father of actor, Matt McCooey[no citations needed here].
At Oxford he was a contemporary of Bill Clinton and played rugby with him[no citations needed here]. McCooey describes a game in which Clinton flattened an opponent who didn't have the ball. McCooey explained to the referee, "he's from America where you can flatten anybody". He recalls Clinton and fellow Rhodes scholar, Robert Reich, engaged in "titanic arguments" as they walked across the quad.
McCooey's published books include:
- Images of Southborough and High Brooms (archive photographs) – The History Press
- Voices of Southborough and High Brooms (archive photographs) – The History Press
- Sussex Heroes: Brave, Resourceful and True – JAK Books
- Kent Scandals: Sensational, Salacious and Sad – JAK Books
- Kent Characters – Wacky, Weird and Wonderful – JAK Books
- Rogues, Rascals and Rebels of Kent and Sussex – JAK Books
- Tales, Titbits and Trivia of Kent and Sussex – JAK Books
- Birds, Beasts and Bacchanalia of Kent and Sussex – JAK Books
- Smuggling on the South Coast – Amberley
- Companion to Japanese Britain and Ireland (with Bowen Pearse) In Print Publishing Ltd
- Leisure Guide to Scotland's Countryside ISBN 978-0-85936-027-2
He is also the editor of Despatches from the Home Front: War Diaries of Joan Strange 1939-1945.
- St Davids in Pembrokeshire is the first eco-city
- "Gardening: blood, sweat and HLM". Daily Telegraph. 2008-08-22. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/gardeningadvice/3349686/Gardening-blood-sweat-and-HLM.html.
- "To the rescue". Financial Times. 2010-11-05. http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/b53ec51e-e796-11df-8ade-00144feab49a.html.
- "Here be dragons!". Daily Mail. 2004-10-04. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/holidaytypeshub/article-592609/Here-dragons.html.
- News Canada
- Schaeper, Thomas J; Schaeper, Kathleen (2010). Rhodes Scholars, Oxford, And The Creation Of An American Elite. Berghahn. p. 191.
- Hamilton, Nigel (2011). Bill Clinton: An American Journey. Random House. p. 181.
- Books by Chris McCooey on Amazon