- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on December 29 2017. This is a backup of Wikipedia:David_Zurawik. All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/David_Zurawik, the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/David_Zurawik.
- The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's general notability guideline. But, that doesn't mean someone has to… establish notability by citing reliable secondary sources that are independent of the topic and provide significant coverage of it beyond its mere trivial mention. (August 2015)
David Zurawik (born in Milwaukee, Wisconsin) is an American journalist, author, and professor. He has been the TV and media critic at The Baltimore Sun since 1989 and an assistant professor of communications and media studies at Goucher College. Before that, Zurawik was a TV critic/columnist at the Dallas Times Herald.
Early life and education
Zurawik earned a master's degree in specialized reporting from the University of Wisconsin–Madison and received a doctorate in American studies in 2000[no citations needed here] from the University of Maryland, College Park.
Zurawik worked as a reporter and critic for the Dallas Times Herald (now the Dallas Morning News) before joining The Baltimore Sun in 1989 as its television critic. His syndicated column runs in other newspapers, including the Los Angeles Times. In 2008, he became the lead writer for The Baltimore Sun TV blog, Z on TV. He wrote pieces for the American Journalism Review. In 2017, he began writing articles for the Telegraph-Journal.
Zurawik has been a guest on the CNN public affairs talk show Reliable Sources, and has also appeared on Fox News shows such as "Fox & Friends," "The O’Reilly Factor" and "On the Record with Greta Van Susteren."
David Bianculli, a TV critic at the time for National Public Radio’s "Fresh Air" and the New York Daily News, wrote in his review, "(Zurawik's) own thorough and thoroughly entertaining insights about so many TV shows, from 'The Goldbergs' and 'Rhoda' to 'Seinfeld' and 'The Nanny,' make this one of the most important, well-researched and addictively readable television books ever written." Book reviewer Joe Rosenberg wrote in the Baltimore Chronicle, "According to Zurawik, the Jewish heads of pre-cable television at CBS, NBC, and ABC—like the Hollywood moguls of the pre-TV era and the owners of the New York Times and Washington Post—did not want to ‘taint’ their programming with 'Jewishness.'"
In 2017, he won a second Arthur Rowse Award for press criticism, a National Press Club award.
In June 2017, he was given a third-place Arts & Entertainment award by the Society for Features Journalism.
Zurawik lives in Baltimore.
- Sun, Baltimore. "David Zurawik". http://www.latimes.com/balnews-david-zurawik-20130507-staff.html.
- Jedra, Christina. "Sun columnist David Zurawik wins National Press Club Award" (in en-US). baltimoresun.com. http://www.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/bs-md-press-club-zurawik-20150729-story.html.
- "Tribune Company Biography". http://bio.tribune.com/davidzurawik. Template:Deadlink
- Zurawik, David; Zurawik, David; Zurawik, David; Zurawik, David; Zurawik, David; Zurawik, David; Zurawik, David; Zurawik, David et al. "David Zurawik's television coverage". http://www.latimes.com/bal-zurawik-storygallery.html?page=5.
- "Z on TV", The Baltimore SunTemplate:Failed verification
- Zurawik, David (1997). "Saving CBS News". http://ajrarchive.org/article.asp?id=923.
- Zurawik, David; Stoehr, Christina (1993-04-01). "Money changes everything" (in English). American Journalism Review 15 (3). http://go.galegroup.com/ps/anonymous?id=GALE%7CA13739109&sid=googleScholar&v=2.1&it=r&linkaccess=fulltext&issn=10678654&p=AONE&sw=w&authCount=1&isAnonymousEntry=true.
- Zurawik, David; Stoehr, Christina (1994-11-01). "Eclipsing the nightly news" (in English). American Journalism Review 16 (9). http://go.galegroup.com/ps/anonymous?id=GALE%7CA15938066&sid=googleScholar&v=2.1&it=r&linkaccess=fulltext&issn=10678654&p=AONE&sw=w&authCount=1&isAnonymousEntry=true.
- Stoehr, Chris; Zurawik, David (1998-05-01). "Rather remarkable" (in English). American Journalism Review 20 (4). http://go.galegroup.com/ps/anonymous?id=GALE%7CA20757429&sid=googleScholar&v=2.1&it=r&linkaccess=fulltext&issn=10678654&p=AONE&sw=w&authCount=1&isAnonymousEntry=true.
- "David Zurawik" (in en). https://www.telegraphjournal.com/times-transcript/author/15621/david-zurawik.
- "Reliable Sources", CNN, 2011Template:Deadlink
- "Media Critic David Zurawik: ‘Sickened By’ Bill O’Reilly ‘Exploiting the Fissures’ In Our Society" (in en). https://www.mediaite.com/online/media-critic-david-zurawik-i-was-sickened-by-bill-oreilly-exploiting-the-fissures-in-our-society/.
- "Baltimore Sun's David Zurawik: Bannon "weaponizing" Breitbart "goes against everything I believe about journalism"" (in en). Media Matters for America. 2017-08-27. https://www.mediamatters.org/video/2017/08/27/baltimore-suns-david-zurawik-bannon-weaponizing-breitbart-goes-against-everything-i-believe-about/217780.
- "Sunday shows". POLITICO. https://www.politico.com/story/2017/05/06/sunday-shows-238068.
- "David Zurawik Discusses 'Reckless' Fox & Friends" (in en-US). http://www.adweek.com/tv-video/david-zurawik-discusses-reckless-fox-friends/.
- "David Zurawik Wins National Press Club Award - Goucher College". http://www.goucher.edu/news/zurawik-pressclub-award.
- "Zurawik, David | SAGE Publications Inc". https://us.sagepub.com/en-us/nam/author/david-zurawik. Template:Deadlink
- "UPNE - The Jews of Prime Time: David Zurawik". http://www.upne.com/1584652349.html.
- "US Democracy, Legal System Are Experiencing an Assault from Fascist Elements - BaltimoreChronicle.com". http://baltimorechronicle.com/aug03_book.shtml.
- "Wall Street Journal, Seattle Times win awards in National Press Club journalism contest". 26 June 2015. http://www.press.org/news-multimedia/news/wall-street-journal-seattle-times-win-awards-national-press-club-journalism-con.
- Barker, Jeff. "The Sun wins Newspaper of the year from MDDC". http://www.baltimoresun.com/business/bs-bz-mddc-awards-20150501-story.html.
- Britto, Brittany. "The Baltimore Sun wins eight awards from the Society for Features Journalism". http://www.baltimoresun.com/features/baltimore-insider-blog/bs-fe-baltimore-sun-awards-society-for-features-journalism-20170614-story.html.