E la Carte
- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on June 6 2017. This is a backup of Wikipedia:E_la_Carte. All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/E_la_Carte, the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/E_la_Carte.
E la Carte is a privately held technology company headquartered in Silicon Valley’s Redwood City, California that builds specialized tablets and software for table service restaurants. The Presto tablet allows restaurant guests to order food, play games and pay for their bill on demand. The company was founded in 2008 by MIT students Rajat Suri and Ernest Gichini Ngaruiya.
While at MIT in December 2007 pursuing his Ph.D., Rajat Suri got the idea to start E la Carte while he was at a restaurant with colleagues from MIT and Harvard. Rajat then abandoned his Ph.D. and started E la Carte in 2009. I
In 2013, Applebee’s announced its plans to install 100,000 Presto tablets nationwide. Other brands that have adopted the technology in the past include Genghis Grill, and Evergreen Restaurant Group, a franchisee of Outback Steakhouse.
In 2010, E la Carte raised seed funding from Y Combinator, Drew Houston, SV Angel, Alexis Ohanian, Steve Huffman, Yuri Milner, Paul Buchheit and other angel investors. In 2011, E la Carte raised $4 million in funding from Lightbank created by Groupon co-founders Eric Lefkofsky and Brad Keywell. In 2013, E la Carte raised $13.5 million in Series B funding from Intel Capital and Romulus Capital. Another round of funding of $35 million Series C was raised in September 2014.
The Presto tablet is manufactured by E la Carte and built for restaurants. The Android-based, Intel-powered wireless tablet is ruggedized and has a compact design that withstands spills and bumps in a restaurant environment. It has an illuminated credit card reader, a dynamic LED light and a rechargeable, removable battery. Presto integrates with a restaurant’s Point of Sale (POS) system and allows guests to order food, play games and pay from their table..
PrestoPrime EMV Tablet
- "Changing the Way we Dine". CNN. http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/us/2012/01/17/pkg-simon-tablets.cnn.html. Retrieved 13 February 2014.
- "Restaurant Tablet Startup E la Carte orders up 13.5m". Venture Beat. http://venturebeat.com/2013/06/24/restaurant-tablet-startup-e-la-carte-orders-up-13-5m/. Retrieved 13 February 2014.
- "Applebee's to offer tablets at every table". nbcnews.com. http://www.nbcnews.com/video/nightly-news/53719325/#53719325. Retrieved 13 February 2014.
- "Applebee's to serve tablets at every table". usatody.com. http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2013/12/02/applebees-tablets-table-top-devices-restaurant-technology/3698561/. Retrieved 13 February 2014.
- "Customized Tablet For Restaurants E la Carte Raises $13.5M from Intel Capital and Others". techcrunch.com. http://techcrunch.com/2013/06/24/customized-tablet-for-restaurants-e-la-carte-raises-13-5m-from-intel-capital-and-others/. Retrieved 13 February 2014.
- "E la Carte Raises $4M from Groupon Co-Founders to Bring Tablets to Restaurant Tables". techcrunch.com. http://techcrunch.com/2011/08/30/e-la-carte-raises-4m-from-groupon-co-founders-to-bring-tablets-to-the-restaurant-tableside-experience/. Retrieved 13 February 2014.
- "A Tablet that Pre-Dated the iPad, E la Carte's Presto, Gets a taste of Venture Funding". fastcompany.com. http://www.fastcompany.com/1777145/tablet-pre-dated-ipad-e-la-cartes-presto-gets-taste-venture-funding. Retrieved 13 February 2014.
- "E la Carte Raises $13.5 Million to Bring Tablets to More Restaurants". mashable.com. http://mashable.com/2013/06/24/e-la-carte/. Retrieved 13 February 2014.
- "E la Carte Updates Presto Tablets for Restaurants". Hospitality Technology. http://hospitalitytechnology.edgl.com/news/E-La-Carte-Updates-Presto-Tablets-for-Restaurants83718. Retrieved 13 February 2014.
- "Applebee's to roll out tablets at all U.S. restaurants". Nation's Restaurant News. http://nrn.com/technology/applebee-s-roll-out-tablets-all-us-restaurants. Retrieved 13 February 2014.
- "Applebee's Will Install 100,000 Intel-Backed Tablets Next Year In Record Rollout". Forbes. http://www.forbes.com/sites/alexkonrad/2013/12/03/applebees-intel-tablet-rollout/. Retrieved 13 February 2014.
- "Apple Pay Headed Directly to Restaurant Tables". MacRumors. https://www.macrumors.com/2017/03/14/apple-pay-prestoprime/. Retrieved 13 Jun 2017.