- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on December 25 2014. This is a backup of Wikipedia:Edward_Someus. All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Edward_Someus, the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Edward_Someus.
- Wikipedia editors had multiple issues with this page:
- The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's general notability guideline. But, that doesn't mean someone has to… establish notability by citing reliable secondary sources that are independent of the topic and provide significant coverage of it beyond its mere trivial mention. (December 2014)
- This page could use some categorization… if it was still on Wikipedia. On Deletionpedia.org, we don't really care so much.
George Edward Someus (born April 28, 1951) is a Swedish biochar engineer with core competence in added value pyrolysis processing of waste materials and carbon refinery, including biochar applied science and technology developments, concentrated Phosphorus recycling and valorization, biochar industrial engineering, commercial productions and applications. International scientific and industrial engineering expert in bio-waste and industrial scale biochar added value processing, valorization and reuse applications by pyrolysis and integrated biotech means for phosphorus and nitrogen nutrient recycling. Inventor of the 3R Zero Emission Pyrolysis technology original solution. Coordinator, project manager and key science and technology designer for EU FP5, FP6, FP7 and CIP Ecoinnovation carbon recycling projects since 2002. The specific work field of Edward Someus is from applied science and industrial engineering towards industrial scale up and large scale industrial biochar production with environmental and economical sustainable performance under market competitive conditions.
1. Life and career
1.1 1978–2002: Early life
Senior Swedish biochar engineer. Education: University of Lund in Sweden 1972 - 1978, graduated in 1978, M.Sc., Natural and Environmental Sciences. First generation laboratory biochar unit developed in 1983 for scientific bench scale tests (TRL technology readiness level 4 technology validated in lab). The second generation pyrolysis and biochar pilot plant scale up unit of the 3R is implemented in 1989 (TRL 6 technology demonstrated in relevant industrially environment) while third generation pyrolysis and biochar field demonstration plant scale up unit of the 3R is implemented in 2004 under EU FP5 programme and successfully field tested in ten years (TRL 8 system completed and qualified). Based on the previous field experiences, the fourth generation pyrolysis and biochar full industrial scale up and commercial unit of the 3R is comprehensive industrial engineered and designed 2009-2014, prepared for implementation of TRL 9 actual system proven in operational industrial environment and competitive manufacturing.
1.2 2002–2015: major EU RTD programmes
EU FP7 289785 REFERTIL – biochar/compost science and technology developments, EU28 standardization and law harmonization (roll: coordinator and key technology scientific RTD and industrial designer, agricultural and food industrial waste/byproduct recycling with core focus on concentrated phosphorus and nitrogen recycling, definition of EU28 improved compost and biochar standards for ongoing EU legislation harmonization to support the reducing of mineral fertilizers and chemicals use in agriculture by recycling treated organic waste as compost and bi-char products), 2011-2015.,,
CIP Eco-innovation ECO/08/238984/ SI2.532247 (role: coordinator and key technology scientific RTD and industrial designer, phosphorus recycling) 2009-2012.
EU FP7 211457 EUPHOROS (role: partner, spent rockwool and nutrient recycling from horticultural industry) 2009-2012.
EU FP6 PROTECTOR 514082 (role: coordinator and key technology scientific RTD and industrial designer, phosphorus recycling) 2005-2009.
EU FP5 NNE5/363/2001 (role: coordinator and key technology scientific RTD and industrial designer, Clean Coal processing development and design for brown coal and biochar valorizations) 2002-2005.
2. Science & Technology
2.1 Pyrolysis and biochar research and technology development
The core competence of Edward Someus is carbon processing, such as:
- zero emission pyrolysis and torrefaction rotary kiln engineering design, known as “3R” Recycle-Reduce-Reuse technology;
- pyrolysis oil refinery;
- carbon biorefinery, incl. solid state fermentation and biotech formulation;
- high concentrated Phosphorus recycling from animal bone such as ABC Animal Bone bioChar;
- bio-energy processing of solid carbons and liquid bio-oils;
- integrated pyrolysis thermal processing and soil biotechnology processing, where specific biochar carbons are used as biotech carriers.
The key objective is the economical valorization of organic waste streams into added value products under market competitive industrial, environmental, ecological, soil, economical and legislative conditions in the temperate climatic zone countries. Important work element of Edward Someus is the European Union Fertilizer Regulation revision biochar policy development support and Government Authority official permitting of industrialized biochar process and products.
|Three decades of experience||Role|
|Pyrolysis and torrefaction zero emission processing of organic waste streams.||Original solution inventor, 3R science and technology designer, industrial engineer and execution manager.|
|Biochar and soil biotech processing.||Science and technology developer, industrial engineering designer and field implementation manager.|
|High concentrated phosphorus recycling (ABC Animal Bone bioChar), animal bone and rendering by-product recycling and added value processing for Organic Phosphorus fertilizer, soil improver, growing media and adsorbent applications.||Original solution inventor, science and industrial technology engineering designer and field application execution manager.|
|Contaminated soil remediation.||Technology designer and execution officer.|
|Pyrolysis oil refinery.||Inventor, technology designer and execution manager.|
|Pyrolysis process electric and electronic process control.||Technology designer and execution manager.|
Edward Someus is combining high level of scientific knowledge with industrial engineering and field applications, specializing in the: research, technical development, engineering, permitting, industrial applications and implementation of the zero emission carbon refinery, low temperature carbonisation and torreafaction technology, for recycling and reuse of carboniferous materials by integrated thermal/biotechnological means. Specializing in the indirectly heated rotary kiln technique and auxiliary installations, such as off gas treatment and biofuel refinery, and soil biotechnology. Inventor of the 3R zero emission carbon refinery pyrolysis technology and carbon applications for soil improvements, including pyrolysis syngas processing, biochar solid state fermentation and formulation for enhanced and safe food crop productions.
2.2 Public image
3. References and publications
- European Union CORDIS database: EU FP5 NN5/363/2001 MULTI FUEL “Multi Fuel Operated Integrated Clean Energy Process: Thermal Desorption Recycle-Reduce-Reuse Technology” 2002-2005 (coordinator and key technology designer) http://cordis.europa.eu/
- European Union CORDIS database: Food-2005-514082 PROTECTOR “Recycling and upgrading of bone meal for environmentally friendly crop protection and nutrition” 2005-2008 (coordinator and key technology designer) http://cordis.europa.eu/
- Someus, “3R biotechnology integrated industrialized biochar production”2008 Conference of the International Biochar Initiative, BIOCHAR, SUSTAINABILITY AND SECURITY IN A CHANGING CLIMATE, Newcastle, United Kingdom, September 8–10, 2008, www.biochar-international.org
- J Postma, E Nijhuis, F Clematis, E Someus, “Recycling and upgrading of bone meal for environmentally friendly crop protection and phosphate fertilization”ORBIT Conference, October 13–15, 2008, Moving Organic Waste Recycling Towards Resource Management and for the Biobased Economy, Wageningen, The Netherlands. Wageningen University Research, Plant Research International B.V, P.O. Building nr. 107, Droevendaalsesteeg 1, 6708 PB Wageningen, The Netherlands http://www.orbit2008.de
- C Baum, P Leinweber, K Eckhardt, E Someus, M Halasz, “Auswirkungen der Applikation von mit Trichoderma harzianum inokulierter Knochenkohle auf die mikrobielle Biomasse, Enzymaktivitäten und die Zusammensetzung der organischen Substanz des Bodens (Effects of the application of animal bone chaircoal inoculated with Trichoderma harzianum on the soil microbial biomass, enzyme activities and the composition of soil organic matter), German Community of Soil Science Conference in Osnabrueck, February 25, 2008,
- J. Postma, E. Nijhuis, F. Clematis, E. Someus “A new carrier for biocontrol agents”, Wageningen University Research, Plant Research International B.V, P.O. Building nr. 107, Droevendaalsesteeg 1, 6708 PB Wageningen, The Netherlands.
- J. Kruse, P. Leinweber, F. Godlinski, E. Someus, “Speciation and quantification of inorganic and organic P forms in environmental samples by P L-edge XANES” University of Rostock, Germany, Agriculture & Agrifood Canada, Lethbridge Research Station.
- E. Someus, “TOWARDS ZERO EMISSION: Economical Conversion of Low-grade Coal to Clean Coal by Low Temperature Carbonization Pretreatment Process” Twenty-seventh Annual International Conference on Thermal Treatment Technologies; May 12–16, 2008, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Air & Waste Management Association, USA, University of Maryland, USA, United States Department of Energy. www.awma.org/.
- M Polgari, J Hein, M Toth, A Brukner-Wein, T Vigh, E Someus, M Halasz, L Biro, “Genesis of a regionally extensive celadonitic chert/ironstone bed overlying Upper Lias Manganese deposits” (SED-2007-OM-176), Sedimentology, International Association of Sedimentologists.
- E Someus, "Plant derived feed additive: recent scientific results and regulatory development, successful EU projects and partners for scientific cooperation” FEED –SEG Symposium, January 14–15, 2008, Hungary, http://www.matchmaking.at/feedseg/
- E Someus, “Moving Towards Zero-Emission Plants” June 20–22, 2005, Leptokarya Pieria Greece
- E Someus, “The 3R Anthracite Clean Coal Technology” CARBO 2/2006, Poland
- E Someus, “THE 3R ANTHRACITE CLEAII COAL TECHNOLOGY. Economical Conversion of Browncoal to Anthracite Type Clean Coal by Low Temperature Carbonization Pre-Treatment Process” Original scientific paper, UDC: 662.641.66:662.612, BIBLIO: 0354-9836, 10 (2006), 3, 55-69. THERMAL SCIENCE:Vol. 10. ( 2006) No.3, pp. 55–69.
- E. Someus, Food crop mineral deficiency and disturbance stress mitigation in temperate climatic regions by economical and environmental valorization of agricultural by-products, Nova Science , New York, 2009. Web: https://www.novapublishers.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=8372
- G. P. Warren, J. S. Robinson and E. Someus, Dissolution of phosphorus from animal bone char in 12 soils, Nutrient Cycling in Agroecosystems, Volume 84, Number 2/ Jun, 2009, Springer Netherlands. http://www.springerlink.com/content/4876u47123372264/
- J. Postma, E.H. Nijhuisa, E. Someus, Selection of phosphorus solubilizing bacteria with biocontrol potential for growth in phosphorus rich animal bone charcoal, Applied Soil Ecology 46 (2010) 464–469, August 2010, www.elsevier.com/locate/apsoil.
- J. Postma, F. Clematis, E. H. Nijhuis, E. Someus, Efﬁcacy of four phosphate-mobilizing bacteria applied with an animal bone charcoal formulation in controlling Pythium aphanidermatum and Fusarium oxysporum f.sp. radicis lycopersici in tomato, Elsevier, Biological Control 67 (2013) 284–291, 19 July 2013, www.elsevier.com/locate/ybcon
- EU FP7 Refertil project: http://ec.europa.eu/research/bioeconomy/agriculture/projects/refertil_en.htm
- REFERTIL project, Improvement of comprehensive bio-waste transformation and nutrient recovery treatment processes for production of combined natural products, European Commission 7th Framework Programme: http://ec.europa.eu/research/bioeconomy/agriculture/projects/refertil_en.htm
- Biochar Policy Support, http://www.refertil.info/biochar-policy
- First industrial application of eco-innovative biotechnological process and product, for recycling and re-use of food industrial waste to economically important and high added value farming products (PROTECTOR), European Comission Eco-innovation Programme:http://ec.europa.eu/environment/eco-innovation/projects/en/projects/protector
- EU FP6 PROTECTOR, Recycling and upgrading of bone meal for environmentally friendly crop protection and nutrition, European Commission 6th Framework Programme: http://cordis.europa.eu/project/rcn/75731_en.html
- EU FP5 Project TDT-3R MULTI FUEL, Multi Fuel Operated Integrated Clean Energy Process: Thermal Desorption Recycle-reduce-reuse Technology, European Commission 5th Framework Programme: http://cordis.europa.eu/project/rcn/61341_en.html