- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on March 18 2020. This is a backup of Wikipedia:Farzana_Aslam. All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Farzana_Aslam, the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Farzana_Aslam.
Original short description: "Pakistani physicist and astronomer"
Farzana Aslam is a Pakistani physicist and astronomer. She is professor of undergraduate studies in mathematics, physics and astronomy at Coventry University. Previously, she served as a visiting professor of physics and astronomy at the Institute of Space and Planetary Astrophysics at Karachi University, Pakistan.
Aslam was born in Wah Cantt. She attended at Wah Cantt Engineering College. She took a transfer to the University of the Punjab and gained her first degree of Bachelor of Science (BSc) in physics. She then moved to Islamabad where she attended Quaid-i-Azam University, where she was awarded master's degree (MSc) in physics.
After her MSc, she later received her Master of Philosophy (M.Phil.) in Laser and Quantum Physics from the same institute. Farazan then travelled to United Kingdom to attend the University of Manchester. In 2005, she received her double PhDs in physics and astronomy from School of Physics and Astronomy, University of Manchester. In 2005, she joined a vibrant physics group "Photon Physics Group" at the School of Physics and Astronomy where she specialised in Two-photon physics and Laser Photonics. She received her PhD in laser physics in 2005.
Career in physics
After her master's degree in physics, Aslam joined University of the Punjab as a lecturer where she has taught undergraduate and post-graduate level physics. Since she has joined School of Physics and Astronomy at the Manchester University, she has been a researcher to the field of polymer composite sensitised with semiconductor nanoparticles, in order to achieve high response rate and diffraction efficiency as required for applications as data storage and processing. She has also taught undergraduate level mathematics and tutoring mathematics and physics to the university students.
Furthermore, she has also been actively involved in the outreach program through the Ogden Teaching Fellowship for the widening participation in engineering and physical sciences scheme of the University of Manchester. The purpose of this fellowship is to involve working scientists as role models for kids into the UK government schools to encourage young generation to study science and engineering. Due to her contribution, she was awarded a commendation award at the Photon 04 conference held by Institute of Physics at Glasgow from 5–9 September 2004.
- Spectroscopic studies of nanoparticle-sensitised photorefractive polymers 17 by Farzana Aslam; David J. Binks; Steve Daniels; Nigel Pickett; Paul O'Brien. Journal of Chemical Physics volume 316, 2005, P. 17
- Photorefractive performance of polymer composite sensitised by CdSe nanoparticles passivated by 1-hexadecylamine, by David J. Binks, Mark D. Rahn and David P. West, Paul O’Brien and Nigel Pickett. Journal of Modern Optics, Volume52 ( 7), 2005, P 945–953.
- Photorefractive performance of a CdSe/ZnS core/shell nanoparticle sensitised polymer. Journal of Chemical Physics volume 316, 2005, P 171-
- Effect of nanoparticle composition on the performance of photorefractive polymers, by F. Aslam, J.Stevenson-Hill, David J. Binks, Steve Daniels, Nigel Pickett and Paul O' Brien. Chemical Physics Volume 333, 2007, P- 42
- Dr. Farzana Aslam, The Staff. "Dr Farzana Aslam". Coventry University. http://www.coventry.ac.uk/cu/engineeringandcomputing/mathematicalsciences/staff/a/4803.
- Pride of Pakistan (2004), Pride of Pakistan: Farzana Aslam, http://www.prideofpakistan.com:8080/maincontroller?requestId=4&userId=184, retrieved 2010
- Faculty of Engineering and Physical Sciences, The University of Manchester, Farzana Aslam (Faculty of Engineering and Physics Sciences), http://www.eps.manchester.ac.uk/postgraduate/studentprofiles/aslam/
- "Archived copy". http://www.prideofpakistan.com:8080/maincontroller?requestId=4&userId=184.
- Pakistan Defence Journal, See Farzana Aslam, A Tribute to the Women of Pakistan, http://www.defence.pk/forums/general-images-multimedia/21934-tribute-women-pakistan-3.html
- See Farzana Aslam (4 February 2010). "Former Ogden Trust Teaching Fellows at Manchester". The Ogden Trust. http://www.ogdentrust.com/page/63/manchester-alumni.htm.
- Unknown. "Lay out: Postgraduate Brochure 2005/06". School of Engineering and Physical Sciences. Manchester University. https://www.physics.manchester.ac.uk/postgraduate/PGProspectus.pdf.
- Official website