First Aid Africa
- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on January 24 2017. This is a backup of Wikipedia:First_Aid_Africa. All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/First_Aid_Africa, the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/First_Aid_Africa.
First Aid Africa is humanitarian charity that works in rural parts of south eastern Africa to provide sustainable equipment and education in first aid. The charity explains that 'a small amount of medical knowledge and equipment' can make a difference. Volunteers and students receive some training before travelling to Africa to teach first aid and survival skills in settings such as local communities, schools, orphanages and villages.
The organisation was set up in 2008 at Heriot-Watt University by Sam Abrahams, originally as a student society. Later that year Abrahams was selected as one of three contenders for the Endsleigh Student of the Year award. It in 2010 the organisation was part of "The Big Training Project".
Abrahams sought volunteers from several UK universities, including: Robert Gordon University, Queen Margaret University, the University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh Napier University, Heriot Watt University, Stirling University, Birmingham City University, the University of Nottingham, and Brunel University. Each university has its own society where students are encouraged to run their society like their own charity. With the help of First Aid Africa's resources, students can fund-raise their own expeditions, set up training events around their home city, encourage first aid training within their universities, hold events promoting African cultures and film and language classes.
First Aid Africa registered with the Office of the Scottish Charity Regulator as a charity in 2014, but Template:As of it has not filed any details relating to financial activity. It received Small Grants Funding from the Scottish Government in 2015 and 2016
It has run First Aid training in Malawi since 2009. It also operates in Tanzania, Kenya and Uganda. Each partner country has a member of full-time staff who are paid to carry out the vital training and support their communities in-between expeditions. In 2015 four volunteers from St. Andrew's First Aid were involved. St Andrew's First Aid have also donated personal protective equipment.
First Aid Africa emphasises the use of sustainable and affordable first aid solutions. Abrahams described some of the work of First Aid Africa at a TedX event in Spain in 2012.
- "From Student Society To International Charity – First Aid Africa". Heriot-Watt University. 4 November 2013. https://thewattclub.hw.ac.uk/2013/11/04/from-student-society-to-international-charity-first-aid-africa/. Retrieved 29 January 2017.
- Template:Cite press release
- "Student is in running for award". The Scotsman. 3 June 2008. http://www.scotsman.com/news/education/student-is-in-running-for-award-1-1261809. Retrieved 29 January 2017.
- "Welcome to First Aid Africa". http://www.thebigtrainingproject.com/firstaidafrica. Retrieved 29 January 2017.
- Template:Cite press release
- Simpson, Craig (29 February 2016). "Aberdeen student’s bid to help teach first aid in Malawi". Evening Express. https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/news/local/city-students-bid-to-help-teach-first-aid-in-malawi/. Retrieved 29 January 2017.
- "Societies: Friends of First Aid Africa". Queen Margaret University Student Union. http://www.qmusu.org.uk/top-menu/sports-societies/societies/friends-of-first-aid-africa. Retrieved 29 January 2017.
- "Welcome to First Aid Africa's Edinburgh Society page!". Edinburgh University Students' Association. https://www.eusa.ed.ac.uk/societies/society/firstaidafrica/. Retrieved 29 January 2017.
- Fletcher, Richard (30 January 2012). "7-hour charity challenge for Whitley Bay surfer". Evening Chronicle. http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/local-news/7-hour-charity-challenge-whitley-bay-1341664. Retrieved 30 January 2017.
- "Our Volunteering Partners: First Aid Africa". Edinburgh Napier University. https://www.napierstudents.com/volunteering/providerlist/6944/. Retrieved 29 January 2017.
- "Societies: First Aid Africa Society". Edinburgh Napier Students' Association. https://www.napierstudents.com/organisation/societies/firstaidafricasoc/. Retrieved 29 January 2017.
- "clubs & societies > First Aid Africa Society". https://www.stirlingstudentsunion.com/clubssocieties/societies/7238/. Retrieved 29 January 2017.
- "Events > First Aid Africa; Get Involved Presentation". Birmingham City Students' Union. https://www.bcusu.com/ents/event/1707/. Retrieved 29 January 2017.
- Benmehidi, Djamil (23 February 2012). "Young volunteer from Attleborough to teach first aid in rural Africa". Norwich Evening News. http://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/news/young_volunteer_from_attleborough_to_teach_first_aid_in_rural_africa_1_1218374. Retrieved 29 January 2017.
- "Charity Details. The Big First Aid Project Scotland SCIO, SC044672". Office of the Scottish Charity Regulator. http://www.oscr.org.uk/charities/search-scottish-charity-register/charity-details?number=SC044672. Retrieved 29 January 2017.
- "Topics: International: International Development: Small Grants Programme". Scottish Government. 9 March 2016. http://www.gov.scot/Topics/International/int-dev/smallgrants. Retrieved 30 January 2017.
- Template:Cite press release
- Farr, Jackie (8 August 2016). "'Warm heart of Africa' shows what friendship is". The Scotsman. http://www.scotsman.com/news/opinion/jackie-farr-warm-heart-of-africa-shows-what-friendship-is-1-4197667. Retrieved 29 January 2017.
- Preston, Hannah (7 February 2011). "First aid in Northern Tanzania". Student BMJ 19: d30. Template:Citation error. http://student.bmj.com/student/view-article.html?id=sbmj.d30.
- Ritchie, Cameron (1 February 2016). "Haddington student to teach first aid in Tanzania". East Lothian Courier. http://www.eastlothiancourier.com/news/haddington/14245881.Haddington_student_to_teach_first_aid_in_Tanzania/. Retrieved 29 January 2017.
- Tait, Jim (1 February 2013). "Young volunteers inspired by isles students' African experience". The Shetland Times. http://www.shetlandtimes.co.uk/2013/02/01/young-volunteers-inspired-by-isles-students-african-experience. Retrieved 30 January 2017.
- "Niall goes on lifesaving mission to Africa". Milngavie Herald. 28 September 2015. http://www.milngavieherald.co.uk/news/niall-goes-on-lifesaving-mission-to-africa-1-3900165. Retrieved 29 January 2017.
- Cardwell, Paul (28 April 2015). "Scottish first aiders to teach how to treat snake bites". third Force News. http://thirdforcenews.org.uk/tfn-news/scottish-first-aiders-to-teach-how-to-treat-snake-bites. Retrieved 30 January 2017.
- Stewart-Robertson, Tristan (28 April 2015). "Glasgow student returning to Kenya to teach life-saving skills in St Andrew's First Aid project". Daily Record. http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/glasgow-student-returning-kenya-teach-5596545. Retrieved 30 January 2017.
- Sullivan, James (26 November 2015). "Scotmid donates money from carrier bags to first aid charity". Co-operative News. http://www.thenews.coop/99733/news/co-operatives/scotmid-donates-money-carrier-bags-first-aid-charity/. Retrieved 30 January 2017.
- Template:Cite AV media