George Turner (journalist)
- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on May 22 2017. This is a backup of Wikipedia:George_Turner_(journalist). All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/George_Turner_(journalist), the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/George_Turner_(journalist).
George Turner is an Investigations Director for Finance Uncovered, a network of journalists based in over 50 countries around the world. He is contesting the seat of Vauxhall for the Liberal Democrats in the 2017 general election.
Turner is an investigate journalist and founder of the website Ourcity.london.
In 2013, Turner "almost single-handedly" led an unsuccessful campaign against major multinational corporations, including Qatari Diar and the Canary Wharf Group, to prevent plans to redevelop the Shell Centre on London's Southbank. His case centred around the lack of affordable housing and the quantity of natural daylight in the planned redevelopment. His case was ultimately rejected in the Court of Appeal in 2015.
He has been selected as the Liberal Democrat parliamentary candidate for the Vauxhall constituency in the 2017 general election. Turner's campaign has focussed on the European Union referendum: Vauxhall voted to remain in the European Union by 78% whereas its Labour MP, Kate Hoey, was a prominent advocate of Brexit. Turner has been endorsed by various organisations and individuals, including More United, Open Britain, Gia Milinovich and Oliver Kamm.
In May 2017, Hoey shared a doctored photo of her attending an event with North Lambeth schoolchildren. Turner was also present at the event and central to the original photo, but the picture was digitally altered by a member of her staff, to remove Turner from it. The doctored picture was shared on Hoey's Twitter account. However, those responsible had only removed Turner's upper half and his legs were still visible.
He lives in a "one and a half" bedroom flat, along with his wife Maddy; their daughter was born in 2017.
- Turner, George. "George N Turner About Me" (in en-GB). http://www.georgenturner.com/about-me/.
- Bourne, Joanna (2015-06-11). "Developers to rebuild Shell Centre as activist loses the 'battle of Waterloo'" (in en-GB). The Independent. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/developers-to-rebuild-shell-centre-as-activist-loses-battle-of-waterloo-10314750.html.
- Hopkirk, Elizabeth (2015-06-11). "George Turner on his Shell defeat: "I did what I could"" (in en-GB). BD Online. http://www.bdonline.co.uk/george-turner-on-his-shell-centre-defeat-i-did-what-i-could/5075916.article.
- Elgot, Jessica (2017-04-24). "Lib Dems target Brexit-backing Labour MP Kate Hoey in Vauxhall" (in en-GB). The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/apr/24/lib-dems-kate-hoey-labour-brexit-vauxhall.
- "Election results for Oval, 22 May 2014 Lambeth Council" (in en). Lambeth Council. 2014-05-22. https://moderngov.lambeth.gov.uk/mgElectionAreaResults.aspx?ID=119.
- http://www.libdems.org.uk/+(2017-04-28).+"George Turner" (in en). Liberal Democrats. http://www.libdems.org.uk/george_turner.
- Studemann, Frederick (1 May 2017). "Will Brexit renew Vauxhall’s revolution fever?". FT.com. https://www.ft.com/content/ff9de970-2bfd-11e7-bc4b-5528796fe35c. Retrieved 29 May 2017.
- "Meet the pro-EU Lib Dem hoping to unseat Brexiteer Kate Hoey in Vauxhall" (in en-GB). Evening Standard. 2017-05-11. http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/battle-for-vauxhall-meet-the-proeu-lib-dem-planning-to-take-on-labour-brexiteer-kate-hoey-a3536601.html.
- "Oliver Kamm on Twitter" (in en). Twitter. https://twitter.com/OliverKamm/status/856520162534727680.
- "Gia Milinovich on Twitter" (in en). Twitter. https://twitter.com/giagia/status/854693528638828545.
- "George Turner" (in en). More United. http://www.moreunited.uk/george-turner.
- Asthana, Anushka; Mason, Rowena; Elgot, Jessica (2017-04-24). "Remain campaigners urge voters to unseat Brexit-backing MPs" (in en-GB). The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/apr/24/remain-campaigners-urge-voters-to-unseat-brexit-backing-mps.
- Revesz, Rachael (9 May 2017). "Former Labour MP Kate Hoey Photoshops Lib Dem rival out of picture but forgets his legs". The Independent. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/kate-hoey-photoshop-former-labour-mp-liberal-democrat-rival-george-turner-forget-legs-north-lambeth-a7725766.html. Retrieved 28 May 2017.
- Collier, Hattey (9 May 2017). "Lib Dem rival 'cut out of photo of Vauxhall Labour candidate Kate Hoey'...but his legs remain". London Evening Standard. http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/vauxhall-labours-kate-hoey-cuts-lib-dem-rival-candidate-out-of-photo-but-forgets-to-edit-out-his-a3534471.html. Retrieved 14 May 2017.
- "Meet the pro-EU Lib Dem hoping to unseat Brexiteer Kate Hoey in Vauxhall". London Evening Standard. 11 May 2017. http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/battle-for-vauxhall-meet-the-proeu-lib-dem-planning-to-take-on-labour-brexiteer-kate-hoey-a3536601.html. Retrieved 14 May 2017.