- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on August 17 2020. This is a backup of Wikipedia:Jasandra_Nyker. All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Jasandra_Nyker, the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Jasandra_Nyker.
- The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's general notability guideline. But, that doesn't mean someone has to… establish notability by citing reliable secondary sources that are independent of the topic and provide significant coverage of it beyond its mere trivial mention. (August 2020)
Jasandra Nyker is a Tanzanian entrepreneur and former CEO of BioTherm Energy, a South African developer of renewable energy sources and power plant operator. She is a managing director of the International Power Fund at Denham Capital, and a board member in the Emira Property Fund.
After working from Brait SE, and being senior vice president at PCG Asset Management LLC, she became CEO of Biotherm Energy in 2011. She has participated in renewable energy forums such as the World Economic Forum on Africa, held in Kigali, Rwanda in 2016, and the 2017 Africa CEO Forum in Geneva.
She has supported business school students and young entrepreneurs by chairing the judges' panel for the 2012 Anzisha Prize, and participating in the Odgers Berndtson CEOx1Day programme in 2017.
Nyker has advocated for the importance of renewable energy in Africa as a way to combat poverty, given the abundance of solar and wind natural resources in the continent. In order for power projects to succeed she has emphasized the need for certainty and consistency in government energy policy, and advocated for partnerships between government and the private sector, warning about state capture and failings of utility companies, such as South Africa's Eskom. She has said that the independent power producers help improve power grids run by state utility companies, and that more African countries would benefit from this type of collaboration.
Awards and recognition
- "BioTherm Energy Pty Ltd". https://www.bloomberg.com/profile/company/0568435D:SJ.
- "Jasandra Nyker" (in en-US). https://www.denhamcapital.com/team-member/jasandra-nyker.
- "Jasandra Nyker". https://www.bloomberg.com/profile/person/16869686.
- Jasandra Nyker. World Economic Forum. Retrieved 30 September 2014.
- Saathoff, Sandra (28 April 2008). "ReliOn Secures "C" Round Financing". http://www.pcgfunds.com/AM_News/ReliOnSeriesCFunding_042808.pdf.
- Mulupi, Dinfin (2016-06-03). "Seeing power generation as a business opportunity: African CEOs weigh in" (in en-US). https://www.howwemadeitinafrica.com/seeing-power-generation-business-opportunity-african-ceos-weigh/54629/.
- "Can off-grid electricity power Africa?" (in en-US). 2017-05-28. https://www.howwemadeitinafrica.com/can-off-grid-electricity-power-africa/58723/.
- "Denham Capital Announces Sale of African Renewable Power Company BioTherm Energy" (in en-US). 2019-08-01. https://www.denhamcapital.com/news-article/denham-capital-announces-sale-of-african-renewable-power-company-biotherm-energy.
- "Actis acquires South African renewables company BioTherm Energy" (in en-US). 2 August 2019. https://www.nsenergybusiness.com/news/actis-biotherm-energy/.
- "Officer Profile". https://in.reuters.com/finance/stocks/officer-profile/EMIJ.J/3005092.
- "Andrew Mupuya named as 2012 Anzisha Grand Prize Winner" (in en-US). 2012-08-30. https://www.africanleadershipacademy.org/blog/andrew-mupuya-named-as-2012-anzisha-grand-prize-winner/.
- Nsehe, Mfonobong (5 September 2012). "Three Young Prize-Winning African Entrepreneurs To Watch" (in en). https://www.forbes.com/sites/mfonobongnsehe/2012/09/05/three-young-prize-winning-african-entrepreneurs-to-watch/.
- "CEO for a Day South Africa - Participating CEOs" (in en-za). 2020. https://www.odgersberndtson.com/en-za/ceox1day/participating-ceos.
- Nyker, Jasandra (15 May 2014). "Why Renewables are the Way Forward for Africa | GE News" (in en). https://www.ge.com/news/reports/why-renewables-are-the-way-forward-for-africa.
- "Building renewable power in South Africa" (in en-GB). BBC News. 19 July 2019. https://www.bbc.com/news/av/business-49052003.
- Burkhardt, Paul (2018-02-01). "How to Wreck the World's Fastest-Growing Renewables Program" (in en-US). https://about.bnef.com/blog/wreck-worlds-fastest-growing-renewables-program/.
- "Africa Energy Forum, London: Progress Takes Time But Quick Action is Needed" (in en-US). 2016-07-11. https://www.renewableenergyworld.com/2016/07/11/africa-energy-forum-london-progress-takes-time-but-quick-action-is-needed/.
- Creamer, Terence (6 November 2019). "Infrastructure Fund project pipeline stands as R700bn, DBSA reports" (in en). https://www.engineeringnews.co.za/article/infrastructure-fund-project-pipeline-stands-as-r700bn-dbsa-reports-2019-11-06/rep_id:4136.
- Nyker, Jasandra (2019-02-06). "Op-Ed: All the eggs are in Eskom's basket: It is time to diversify the energy sector" (in en). https://www.dailymaverick.co.za/article/2019-02-06-all-the-eggs-are-in-eskoms-basket-it-is-time-to-diversify-the-energy-sector/.
- McGroarty, Patrick (2015-09-14). "South Africa Pushes to Expand Renewable Energy" (in en-US). Wall Street Journal. ISSN 0099-9660. https://www.wsj.com/articles/south-africa-pushes-to-expand-renewable-energy-1442197718.
- Norbrook, Nicholas (2012-05-07). "Young Global Leaders: Cream of the crop at the World Economic Forum" (in en-US). https://www.theafricareport.com/7210/young-global-leaders-cream-of-the-crop-at-the-world-economic-forum/.
- Mathews, Charlie. "Fifty Changemakers Advancing Gender Equality in SA" (in en-US). https://www.treeshake.com/twig/50changemakers.
- Gordon, Philip (2019-05-22). "Ethiopia, Ghana, Malawi, Rwanda and South Africa amongst winning projects and pioneers at African Power, Energy & Water Industry Awards" (in en-ZA). https://www.smart-energy.com/event-news/ethiopia-ghana-malawi-rwanda-and-south-africa-amongst-winning-projects-and-pioneers-at-african-power-energy-water-industry-awards/.
- Theron, Ashley (2019-11-25). "Outstanding Contribution Award 2019: Power" (in en-US). https://www.african-energy-elites.com/industry-awards/outstanding-contribution-award-2019-power/.
- World Economic Forum Presidential Briefing: Africa's Promise: Wind and Solar energy 
- World Economic Forum South Africa 2017 - Electrifying All of Africa 
- Power People: Jasandra Nyker (interview in Soundcloud) 
- Interview by Engerati