Jesuit Centre for Ecology and Development
- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on May 24 2016. This is a backup of Wikipedia:Jesuit_Centre_for_Ecology_and_Development. All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Jesuit_Centre_for_Ecology_and_Development, the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Jesuit_Centre_for_Ecology_and_Development.
Template:Infobox organization Jesuit Centre for Ecology and Development (JCED) is an effort by Catholic priests of the Society of Jesus in Malawi to spread the use of ceramic stoves, amidst their other efforts at reforestation. The project began in 2013 with the collaboration of Catholic parishes in the Archdiocese of Lilongwe.
Vision and implementation
The ceramic cooking stoves being produced bring many benefits: household savings, reduction in respiratory infections, reduced consumption of wood, and preservation of forests. The project is being financed by Entreculturas in Spain, Irish Aid through the Malawi Ministry of Energy and Mining, and Jesuit Missions in Germany.
The project began in the capital Lilongwe with a production crew of 25 making these "security stoves" and 15 youths to market them. They give demonstrations in households, at schools and churches, and in public places like the markets. The first 2,000 stoves were sold in Mlale, Chinsapo, and Chigwirizano by December 2013. Continuing sales reached 7225 by 2014, with a potential for many more sales to the over one million Catholics in the Diocese of Lilongwe. It is estimated that each stove saves about 4 kilograms of firewood daily, 9 trees per year, about MK650.00 weekly, and produces 4 to 7 tons less carbon emissions per year. They are replacing the traditional three-stone open-fire cooking, reducing the use of firewood by 70-80%. This effort is consistent with Catholic efforts to show more respect for the environment, in line with the teachings of Pope Francis. Its efforts have been noted by various organizations.
- JCED. Accessed 1 April 2016.
- German Jesuit Mission Office. Accessed 1 April 2016.
- Camboni/Sudan carries Henriot article. Accessed 1 April 2016.
- Yale carries Henriot article. Accessed 25 May 2016.
- AfriMedia Designs. Accessed 25 May 2016.
- Maryknoll, USA. Accessed 25 May 2016.
- Women's response on MP3. Accessed 25 May 2016.